• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toys & Books Forum Your Kids' Favourites

mamamia

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Does anyone have some toys or books their little ones simply can't get enough of? We'd love to hear about them!

Are there any hot toys this year that we should know about or timeless classics that have stood the test of time with your kids? What about recommended reads - any new releases or old favorites that your children beg you to read night after night?

Share your hits (and maybe even some misses!) here.

My five-year-old son is obsessed with this wooden train set his grandfather built for him. He spends hours building and creating new tracks and stories! It's definitely a timeless classic in our house.

We also never tire of reading 'The Hungry Caterpillar' - it's been read a million times but remains a firm favorite. Such a cute story and the illustrations are delightful too. I love how engaging it is for the little ones with all the different textures to touch and feel as you go along. A wonderful sensory experience!

That sounds awesome! A handmade, grandfather-approved train set is a pretty cool possession. 'The Very Hungry Caterpillar' never gets old - it's one of those books that's so engaging and the storyline is such a fun, sensory experience for little ones. It's amazing how something so simple can capture their imaginations!

What other books or toys are favourites in your house? We're always on the lookout for new stories and games to try!

The Hungry Caterpillar is an all-time classic and seems to engage kids again and again - it's amazing how a few simple pictures and some spot gloss can captivate them so totally!

My little one also loves the book Hairy Maclary, it's a fun rhyme with loads of repetition which is great for getting kids engaged and learning some basic rhyming words. The illustrations are also bright and fun - it's a real tail (sorry!) of adventure with lots of different characters to point out and discuss too.

As for toys, building blocks are always a hit in our house and seem to never go out of fashion - the bigger the better apparently! We also have a cute wooden toy piano which has different shaped blocks that when placed correctly, make different animal sounds - it's adorable and teaches them their animal names and some simple cause and effect too.

What other sensory books or toys do people recommend for little ones? Always good to hear about new ideas!

The Hungry Caterpillar is an all-time classic and seems to engage kids again and again - it's amazing how a few simple pictures and some spot gloss can captivate them so totally!

My little one also loves the book Hairy Maclary, it's a fun rhyme with loads of repetition which is great for getting kids engaged and learning some basic rhyming words. The illustrations are also bright and fun - it's a real tail (sorry!) of adventure with lots of different characters to point out and discuss too.

As for toys, building blocks are always a hit in our house and seem to never go out of fashion - the bigger the better apparently! We also have a cute wooden toy piano which has different shaped blocks that when placed correctly, make different animal sounds - it's adorable and teaches them their animal names and some simple cause and effect too.

What other sensory books or toys do people recommend for little ones? Always good to hear about new ideas!
Books with different textures, sounds, and even smells seem to captivate toddlers like no other. My daughter absolutely loves the touchy-feely books with different tactile experiences on each page - she can spend hours just exploring and guessing what's on each new page.

And yes, building blocks are definitely a staple in most households, they seem to never lose their charm! We have a set of wooden blocks in different shapes and sizes that also keep the kids entertained for some quiet, creative play. I often find some peace and quiet when she's focused on building little towers and knock them down with pretend earthquakes!

I'm sure other parents will have some great recommendations too - it's fun to discover new toys and books!

Totally agree on the texture-based books, they are a huge hit with the tot and provide lots of learning opportunities too. We also love our wooden blocks - we've added some cute animal figurines to ours which adds a fun new dimension!

My little one is also into anything with wheels right now - pushing around toy cars and trucks. Also loves her musical toys, especially her drum which she marches around the house with. I'm keen to introduce more music into our playtime so thinking of getting some hand drums or shakers next.

I've also found that simple arts and crafts are a hit, especially stickers - she's recently discovered they can go on absolutely everything! A sticker book keeps her occupied for ages.

Totally agree on the texture-based books, they are a huge hit with the tot and provide lots of learning opportunities too. We also love our wooden blocks - we've added some cute animal figurines to ours which adds a fun new dimension!

My little one is also into anything with wheels right now - pushing around toy cars and trucks. Also loves her musical toys, especially her drum which she marches around the house with. I'm keen to introduce more music into our playtime so thinking of getting some hand drums or shakers next.

I've also found that simple arts and crafts are a hit, especially stickers - she's recently discovered they can go on absolutely everything! A sticker book keeps her occupied for ages.
Simple pleasures like sticker books and toys with wheels never seem to lose their allure! The humble sticker has kept many a toddler entertained, and it's so inexpensive too!

Crafts and art are a wonderful way to keep them engaged, and it's amazing what simple things you can do with household items. Toddlers love exploring with all five senses, so I find giving them different textures and materials encourages longer periods of independent play.

Does anyone else have recommendations for mess-free sensory play? I'm always cautious about the clean-up haha!

• Haha
Reactions: sunnybunny
Mess-free sensory play is a bit of an oxymoron, but I've had some success with two tactics that largely avoid mess:

1. Outdoor playtime! It's amazing what kids will do when given the freedom of an outdoor space. We use a small inflatable pool in our backyard as a contained sensory bin. Fill it with different materials - sand, dried pasta, water, even just dirt - and give them cups and spoons to explore with. The mess stays outside, and the clean-up is as easy as hosing down the area when they're done!

2. If indoor play is more your jam, then plastic wrap and a simple sheet can help contain the mess. Lay a plastic tablecloth or large plastic bag on the floor, and give them a bin of sensory fun with a clear plastic wrap stretched tightly over the top. They can poke it, squish it, and explore the textures without making a huge mess. The plastic wrap keeps everything contained, and the sheet below catches any stray bits. When they're finished, just bundle everything up into the sheet and dispose of it. No cleaning needed!

Both these options are great for sensory play without the stress - let us know how you go!

What brilliant ideas!! I love the outdoor pool idea, especially as an easy way to contain the mess and it's so easily accessible too. And hooray for indoor mess-free play with the plastic wrap - such a clever, simple solution! We don't have space for an inflatable pool, but I might have to steal the second idea - my little one would love it, and it would be great for keeping her entertained while keeping the sanity of our caregivers intact!!

I'm keen to hear other forum members' experiences with these tips, or any other mess-free hacks you've found!

Love hearing that you're inspired and might give the plastic wrap idea a go - it really is such an easy and mess-free way to keep little ones entertained, especially if you're short on space for an outdoor pool! We often find the simple ideas are the best and most accessible too.

I'm keen to hear about some more mess-free tips too that people might have up their sleeves, as well as hearing how these ones go down - enjoy keeping your caregivers sane Mama!!

Some other mess-free activities I've found are:

- Playdough - there are loads of homemade recipes online which use simple ingredients, and it keeps the kids entertained for ages especially if you have lots of cookie cutters, rolling pins etc on hand.

- Paint with water - again an easy one to set up, very mess free as long as you don't give them a cup of water to paint with! Kids love the satisfaction of seeing the colours appear, and it's fun watching their little hands get involved too.

- Stick and pasting - collecting little bits of coloured paper, or cutting up construction paper is fun for older babes, and sticking is a real joy for this age group. We've found some great glue sticks that are washable and not too sticky so don't make a mess but are still fun.

Also a big fan of frozen activities - freezing colour-filled water or even breast milk in the baby's silicone moulds provides hours of fun on hot days trying to get the ice out! We also often freeze small toys and put them into the bath - it's fun seeing what happens!

Love finding new ways to keep my little one entertained that are easy to set up and pack away quickly - looking forward to hearing others' ideas too!

Great suggestions! We love frozen activities too, especially on hot days - it's like a little science experiment for them as they watch things melt, and so engaging to boot.

We've also found success with simple threading exercises using shoelaces or wool and big beads, great for fine motor skills and keeping them occupied. And of course, it's easy to vary the difficulty to suit the age group!

Also a fan of DIY 'busy bags' - simple ziplock bags filled with themed items like pipettes, coloured vinegar, eye droppers etc and lots of colourful pom poms - these are great for some reason-free fun, and you can make them as mess-free or not as you like depending on the materials you include!

Great suggestions! We love frozen activities too, especially on hot days - it's like a little science experiment for them as they watch things melt, and so engaging to boot.

We've also found success with simple threading exercises using shoelaces or wool and big beads, great for fine motor skills and keeping them occupied. And of course, it's easy to vary the difficulty to suit the age group!

Also a fan of DIY 'busy bags' - simple ziplock bags filled with themed items like pipettes, coloured vinegar, eye droppers etc and lots of colourful pom poms - these are great for some reason-free fun, and you can make them as mess-free or not as you like depending on the materials you include!
busy bags sound like a wonderful idea that I might implement for longer car rides or restaurant visits. Thanks for the tip! I've also heard of people using those small plastic bins with a snap-on lid; seems like an excellent storage solution to keep mess at bay, especially when on the go.

Anything that keeps the kids entertained and occupied is a win in my book! It's wonderful to have this list to refer to - thank you, everyone!

• Love
Reactions: musical
Those plastic bins are a lifesaver! They're great because they contain the mess and are easy to clean up - I usually just wipe them down. And yes, anything for some peace and quiet during car rides - those busy bags are an excellent idea you can fill them with so many different things!

You're welcome - this forum has been a great resource for gathering all these ideas!

Plastic bins are awesome! I agree that anything for some quiet time is an absolute win, busy bags are so versatile too. What sorts of things do you guys put in them? I've been using these great little reusable plastic pouches and they can keep my daughter entertained for ages - she loves the surprise element! Also a big fan of the wipe-down ease, anything that's not too fiddly to clean is a winner!

• Haha
Reactions: greenfingers
I've been putting little themed goody bags into our busy bins - little figures and toys to go with a theme like pirates, farm animals, mermaids etc along with some relevant colourful pictures torn out of old calendars. I also do a bag just full of random tiny things that she can tip out and sort and explore - buttons, beads, dried pasta, coins etc. My daughter loves the surprise factor too and it's so nice to watch her play quietly independently!
I got some reusable zip lock bags from the $2 shop which are awesome and easy for little fingers to open and close - so satisfying that rustle too! We also love books with different textures to touch and smell, and of course the old favourite - the lift the flap book. Always a winner!

• Love
Reactions: cissy
I've been putting little themed goody bags into our busy bins - little figures and toys to go with a theme like pirates, farm animals, mermaids etc along with some relevant colourful pictures torn out of old calendars. I also do a bag just full of random tiny things that she can tip out and sort and explore - buttons, beads, dried pasta, coins etc. My daughter loves the surprise factor too and it's so nice to watch her play quietly independently!
I got some reusable zip lock bags from the $2 shop which are awesome and easy for little fingers to open and close - so satisfying that rustle too! We also love books with different textures to touch and smell, and of course the old favourite - the lift the flap book. Always a winner!
Flap books are definitely engaging and entertaining for kids. The element of surprise keeps them curious and excited! Reusable ziplock bags sound like a great investment--I can imagine them being useful for many mess-free activities.

It's lovely how so many simple ideas can make for awesome sensory play!

My daughter's current fascination with the natural world has led me to include some interesting rocks and small shells in the bags too. I let her keep the especially cool looking ones we find on the beach and have kept some of my old fossils from years ago to include - it's so adorable watching her show them off to her dollies! It's such a nice way to encourage their natural curiosity.

My daughter's current fascination with the natural world has led me to include some interesting rocks and small shells in the bags too. I let her keep the especially cool looking ones we find on the beach and have kept some of my old fossils from years ago to include - it's so adorable watching her show them off to her dollies! It's such a nice way to encourage their natural curiosity.
How cool! My little one is fascinated with bugs and insects too, so I'll definitely be borrowing your idea and adding some interesting finds into our sensory bins! Anything nature-related is bound to thrill them - it's so cute watching them appreciate the little things.

Including natural objects like rocks and shells is such a lovely idea! A fun, hands-on way to learn about the natural world. I'm sure many mamas will draw inspiration from your idea!

• Haha
Reactions: stargazer

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu