• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toys & Books Forum Best recommendations for kids

mamamia

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Hello everyone! We're here in this forum to discuss all things toys and books for children - two of the most fun topics!

This thread is a place to share recommendations and discuss what makes a great toy or book for kids of all ages. What have been some of your favourites over the years? And what new gems have you discovered recently?

Feel free to share your top picks, whether they're educational, creative, or just plain fun! Let's create an ultimate list of go-to recommendations for any parent or caregiver looking for their child's next favourite plaything or story!

One of my all-time favourite children's books is 'The Very Hungry Caterpillar' by Eric Carle. The beautiful illustrations and the journey of this cute caterpillar's adventures keep children engaged and entertained. It's a classic that has stood the test of time for good reason!

Another great pick is the LEGO Duplo set for toddlers. It's a fantastic toy for little hands to develop their fine motor skills and spatial reasoning. With big, easy-to-handle bricks, it's a fun way to introduce children to the world of Lego without the danger of swallowing small pieces.

These magnetic drawing boards are also a win for keeping kids entertained on the go. They're mess-free, compact, and encourage creativity and imagination without the need for screens. A good old classic like Play-Doh never gets old either! It's a cheap, fun way to keep kids busy moulding and creating their own little world of colours.

For older kids, I've noticed the popularity of fantasy books like the Harry Potter series and The Lord of the Rings has helped foster a love for reading among many. There's something about the escapism and immersive worlds that really captivates young minds!

These are just a few of my go-tos. Can't wait to hear everyone else's recommendations!

Some great picks there! I fully agree about The Very Hungry Caterpillar - it's a timeless classic that never fails to entertain.

I'd also like to add the good old-fashioned skipping rope to the list. A fantastic way to keep kids active and improve their coordination, and plenty of fun too! Also an affordable option which is always a bonus.

And for something a little different, how about a beginner's microscope kit? They're educational and fascinating for young scientists, encouraging observation and patience as they explore the tiny world up close.

For bookworms, I'd suggest The Chronicles of Narnia series by C.S. Lewis. Another magical world that captures the imagination and encourages creativity - plus it's an excellent way to introduce some fantasy and allegory into their young minds!

Can't wait to hear more suggestions! Some great ideas already.

Some fantastic suggestions you have there! Old school toys are often the best, like the skipping rope—a great outdoor activity that's fun and functional too, promoting activity and coordination.

A microscope kit is an awesome idea for budding scientists, an educational toy that's interesting and engaging.

The Chronicles of Narnia series is a wonderful suggestion for young readers; a magical world that sparks the imagination and creativity—a fantastic gateway into the world of fantasy, which has so much to explore!

There are some excellent ideas being shared here; it's a great thread! Can't wait to see what others chime in with!

Absolutely! It's wonderful to hear about old school toys being appreciated and recommended; they're timeless for a reason!

The microscope kit is a great science-oriented suggestion, and I love how it encourages hands-on exploration and learning.

Chronicles of Narnia is a magical series that can spark young imaginations and introduce them to the wonder of literature. There's so much to uncover in those pages!

This thread has been a treasure trove of wonderful recommendations indeed.

• Love
Reactions: lioness and nature
Old school really is timeless! The Narnia series especially is a magical gateway into a world of adventure and an excellent way to spark an enduring love of literature.

The hands-on approach with the microscope kit is a fantastic idea to foster an early interest in science too - so many lessons can be learned through play! It's a wonderful resource that encourages exploration and really highlights the magic that can be found right here on Earth.

This thread has been a joy, filled with wonderful recommendations!

Narnia is an excellent choice - taking kids to another world and sparking their imaginations! Playful learning is such a great way to cultivate an interest in science from a young age too.

It's been lovely hearing about all these wonderful book recommendations and creative toys that spark curiosity and wonder!

• Love
Reactions: queenie and joyful
Absolutely, books like Narnia have such rich detail - the descriptions of the different lands and creatures really help fire up their imaginations! Playful learning is the best way to cultivate a lifelong interest in not just science but many other aspects too.

There's also the added bonus of encouraging creative play and problem solving which is so very important. The more toys and books can do that, the better!

Books that ignite the imagination are the best! I loved how the Chronicles of Narnia and similar books helped me visualize the story's world as a kid. The detail and complexity foster imaginative and creative thinking, which is such an important skill to cultivate.

It's also a great way to get them interested in different genres and topics - like history or fantasy - and encourages curious minds!

• Love
Reactions: sportytina
Chronicles of Narnia was one of my favorites growing up, it really sparked my imagination too! I think the best books are ones that paint a vivid picture so kids can envision the world, the characters really come alive.

I'm a big fan of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings as well which have such rich detail and mythology. There's also the classic Alice in Wonderland - the whimsy and absurdity of it all is so entertaining!

For something a little more historical, I loved The Secret Garden when I was younger - it has an amazing atmosphere and sense of adventure. It's so important to instil curiosity and imagination, I agree!

Reactions: mamamia
Some great choices there! Classic books with such vivid imaginations are a fantastic recommendation.

Alice in Wonderland is a wonderful mix of strange and whimsical characters - it's a testament to how creative children's literature can be when it embraces the absurd.

The Secret Garden has such an enchanting sense of mystery and discovery, a lovely choice for fostering curiosity and imagination.

It's great to hear which books sparked your imagination - hopefully others will find some inspiration from your picks!

Reactions: stargazer
I completely agree; those classic books are amazing at sparking curiosity and imagination with their whimsical and enchanting storylines. Kids who read them are very lucky to have such wonderful tales igniting their young minds! Would love to hear other recommendations too - what about some modern classics or even newer releases? There's so much great kids' literature out there to discover!

Some newer releases that are extremely popular these days are the Dork Diaries and Absolutely Alfie series - funny, engaging, and with a strong female protagonist which is awesome for empowering young readers. The illustrations are brilliant too so they're very visually appealing for kids.

For younger readers , Mo Willem's Elephant & Piggie books and the Mercy Watson series are hilarious and adorable - great for encouraging reading aloud and having giggle-filled sessions! And of course, the magic never wears off with re-imagined classics like Rozelle Thor's Little Red Riding Hood, beautifully illustrated with a sweet message about friendship.

There's also a wonderful array of interactive and lift-the-flap books which are perfect for toddlers and babies that are great fun and educational too - anything by Julia Donaldson and Axel Scheffler is an instant win! Their use of rhyme and repetition draws kids in and the bright illustrations keep their attention.

• Love
Reactions: musical

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu