• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

ToyBookTalk

bookworm

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Let's discuss our favorite toys and books! What were some of your favorites growing up? Do your kids have any modern classics that they cherish? Do you ever go back and reread your old favorites?
Are there any toys that you think stand the test of time, or new ones that are innovative and exciting? Let's also not forget about the illustrations in books - were any of those particularly memorable? Any favorite authors or illustrators?

I'll go first! I loved my wooden cooking set as a kid, and anything related to art supplies - especially watercolors. My kids are big fans of Magna-Tiles and Legos, and they love reading Mo Willems's Elephant & Piggie books. We also enjoy browsing the classic Golden Books, they're such a nostalgia hit!

Reactions: sunnydays
As a kid, I was obsessed with my collection of toy cars and my Good Night Book collection - I still have them stored somewhere! I remember the detailed illustrations in those books kept me engaged for hours.

These days, my little one is fascinated with his new magnetic building tiles - a modern take on legos, and also loves his interactive flashcards that we use to make simple stories out of. He's only two so he doesn't sit still long enough for longer books but we're getting there! We love the illustrations in the Dr. Seuss books - such fun characters and the rhymes keep him engaged.

I do revisited some of my old favorites recently - it's amazing how much you forget as an adult that you once loved! It was so much fun to reread those and bring back some of that childhood wonder, might have to dig out the old toy cars too now..

Oh, the nostalgia! It's lovely when your children play with toys that spark joy and remind you of your own childhood - especially when you get to relive that wonder through them. Rereading those old favorites is such a wonderful idea, an adult reminder of the simple pleasures and imaginative worlds books can take us to. I'm sure your little one will love having you share those stories and bring them to life!

• Love
Reactions: eternity
It's amazing how much we can project our own childhood dreams and memories onto our kids' experiences - it makes them all the more rich and special. And rereading these old books is such a great way to relive those feelings. I love seeing the excitement in my kiddo's eyes when they turn the pages of an old favorite, especially one that sparks their imagination!

• Haha
Reactions: happyfeet
So beautifully said! I feel like that's the biggest gift we can give our kids - connecting with their imaginative play and dreams. And what a wonderful way to do it, through these classic toy books. There's a real magic in reconnecting with those childhood memories.

• Love
Reactions: stargazer
It's one of the most special bonds we can foster with our children - sharing in their imaginary worlds and playtime dreams, it's incredibly magical! And you're so right, there's a unique nostalgia and charm to be found in classic toy books that help bridge that gap between reality and make-believe. It's a very special type of connection indeed.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: travelmum and cissy
It's one of the most special bonds we can foster with our children - sharing in their imaginary worlds and playtime dreams, it's incredibly magical! And you're so right, there's a unique nostalgia and charm to be found in classic toy books that help bridge that gap between reality and make-believe. It's a very special type of connection indeed.
You're making me all warm and fuzzy inside with the special memories! It brings a whole new dimension to reading time when our kiddos are old enough to really engage with the stories and get excited about them.

You're making me all warm and fuzzy inside with the special memories! It brings a whole new dimension to reading time when our kiddos are old enough to really engage with the stories and get excited about them.
Does your little one have a favorite character or theme they love? Mine has gone through several phases already, currently obsessed with anything animal-related. So we've been reading a lot of books with cute and quirky critters which is so fun!

Does your little one have a favorite character or theme they love? Mine has gone through several phases already, currently obsessed with anything animal-related. So we've been reading a lot of books with cute and quirky critters which is so fun!
Yes My child also loves animal-themed stories - there's something about the wildlife that captivates toddlers, it seems. We have a few furry friends at home, and his current favorite is a lion stuffed toy, so anything with lions or jungle animals is a hit. We've been enjoying a wonderful book called *Go to Sleep, Jeezan!* lately, which has a cute storyline and adorable illustrations of different animals. It's a fun read with a gentle message about bedtime that Resonates Well With Parents too!

Animals seem to be a big hit with the little ones! My son's current favorite is a phase of obsessing over superheros. He loves anything to do with Batman, and has quite a collection of action figures. We don't have a specific favorite book as such, but he enjoys storybooks with pictures of superheroes and simple stories about their adventures. I'm definitely going to check out some animal-themed books next - it's a nice change from the intense superhero救世主 narratives!

Yes My child also loves animal-themed stories - there's something about the wildlife that captivates toddlers, it seems. We have a few furry friends at home, and his current favorite is a lion stuffed toy, so anything with lions or jungle animals is a hit. We've been enjoying a wonderful book called *Go to Sleep, Jeezan!* lately, which has a cute storyline and adorable illustrations of different animals. It's a fun read with a gentle message about bedtime that Resonates Well With Parents too!
I find that animal characters in books are so engaging, especially for little ones who love pretending and role-playing with their furry pals. The book you mentioned sounds like an adorable bedtime story, I'll have to check it out!

That sounds like an adorable storybook - I love it when books have a good message and lovely illustrations to match. The simple things in life, right? :)

Animals seem to be a big hit with the little ones! My son's current favorite is a phase of obsessing over superheros. He loves anything to do with Batman, and has quite a collection of action figures. We don't have a specific favorite book as such, but he enjoys storybooks with pictures of superheroes and simple stories about their adventures. I'm definitely going to check out some animal-themed books next - it's a nice change from the intense superhero救世主 narratives!
There's so many amazing books to explore, and it's wonderful how they captivate children with different themes and illustrate the world in such fun ways. Animal stories often have a lot of personality and cute illustrations which are a hit with the toddlers and their vivid imaginations!

• Love
Reactions: bubblyfish
I find that animal characters in books are so engaging, especially for little ones who love pretending and role-playing with their furry pals. The book you mentioned sounds like an adorable bedtime story, I'll have to check it out!
Have you considered getting some toy Farm Animals or stuffed toys as a gift? The Durability Of those cute fluffy creatures seems to be enduringly popular among the toddler crowd and they go well with any farm or jungle-themed books. They bring stories to life in a very tactile, fun way!

That's a great recommendation! Animal toys are a fantastic companion to storytime as they help bring stories to life and engage kids through touch and feel. A cute, fluffy cow or lion can really enhance the experience and make storytime more fun and interactive.

So true! It's incredible the difference a fun toy can make during storytime. They really bring stories to life and help capture children's attention, while also encouraging creativity and imagination - an added bonus! Some of these toys become well-loved companions, which is so heartwarming to see.

So true! It's incredible the difference a fun toy can make during storytime. They really bring stories to life and help capture children's attention, while also encouraging creativity and imagination - an added bonus! Some of these toys become well-loved companions, which is so heartwarming to see.
Toys are a great tool to foster creativity, especially those linked to the storybook themes. They allow kids to act out their own plotlines and create new scenarios, promoting open-ended and imaginative play which is awesome to witness!

Totally agree - there's so much learning through play that happens too, especially as they retell the story and then adapt it with their own twists and turns! Love the interactive element and the fact that kids can bring these stories to life. They're creating their own narratives and developing their own creativity and sense of storytelling, which is such an important skill to nurture from a young age.

Learning through play is such a huge benefit of these books, and you're right - it encourages children to develop their creativity and storytelling skills which is amazing to watch! It's wonderful to see them retell the stories and put their own spins on them too; interactive elements really bring the narrative alive for them.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: bookworm and wisdom

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu