• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toy Reads

mamamia

Top-Notch
Reaction score
The discussion focused on the best books to give kids, with several engaging recommendations shared across various genres. For picture books, Corduroy and works by Julia Donaldson were highly regarded for their heartwarming illustrations and catchy rhymes. The Secret Seven series and Stinkbomb & Twitch were mentioned as fantastic chapter books with diverse appeal. Visual storytelling and its impact on captivating young readers were emphasized, with several participants reminiscing about cherished illustrated books from their childhood. The benefits of story-based play and toys that encourage imagination, communication skills, and creative thinking were also highlighted. Participants acknowledged the efforts of toy developers in creating innovative and captivating offerings to capture kids' attention, especially in the era of tech-focused playthings. The conversation showcased a rich variety of options available for fostering a love of stories and reading in children.

What's everyone's pick for the best book to give a kid?

I'm thinking of starting with picture books because they're more likely to be ones that adults will enjoy reading aloud over and over again, but I'd be keen to hear about chapter books or graphic novels that have widespread appeal too.

I'll go first: for picture books, my favourite to reread was always Corduroy, and then anything by Julia Donaldson because her rhyme schemes are so fun to perform! For older kids, I loved the Redwall series and anything by Diana Wynne Jones.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: joyful and nature
Corduroy's great! It's one of those books with heartwarming illustrations and a simple story that doesn't talk down to its readers, which is so important for young audiences.

Julia Donaldson's books are excellent and so much fun to read aloud - I especially love The Gruffalo. She has such a gift for those catchy rhymes!

Redwall was a huge favourite of mine growing up too; such an immersive fantasy world with all those characters and species!

I haven't come across Diana Wynne Jones' books, but will have to check them out - always on the lookout for recommendations for books that appeal to a wide range of readers.

What's everyone's pick for the best book to give a kid?

I'm thinking of starting with picture books because they're more likely to be ones that adults will enjoy reading aloud over and over again, but I'd be keen to hear about chapter books or graphic novels that have widespread appeal too.

I'll go first: for picture books, my favourite to reread was always Corduroy, and then anything by Julia Donaldson because her rhyme schemes are so fun to perform! For older kids, I loved the Redwall series and anything by Diana Wynne Jones.
I'm glad you started this thread!

Picture books are a great introduction to the joy of reading, and I'm pleased you asked. Some of my all-time favorites include *The Very Hungry Caterpillar* by Eric Carle (a classic with beautiful imagery); *Possum's Harvest Moon* by Anne Hunter, with its charming Australian animals; and *Each Orange Had 8 Slices* by Paul Geraghty, a clever count-based story with a twist ending that never fails to delight.

As for chapter books, the ever-popular *Harry Potter* series by J.K. Rowling needs no introduction. Another fantasy adventure series, which has garnered a cult following, is The Spiderwick Chronicles by Holly Black. The mysterious tales of the Grace children's encounters with the fantastical inhabitants of the Hollows will captivate young readers.

For something wholesome and humorous, Catherine Rayleigh's *Dory Fantasmagory* trilogy is superb! This Graphic novel series follows the adventures of a little girl who can create her own fantasy worlds - a fun, creative escapade.

There are so many great options; these are just a few to get things started!

Corduroy's great! It's one of those books with heartwarming illustrations and a simple story that doesn't talk down to its readers, which is so important for young audiences.

Julia Donaldson's books are excellent and so much fun to read aloud - I especially love The Gruffalo. She has such a gift for those catchy rhymes!

Redwall was a huge favourite of mine growing up too; such an immersive fantasy world with all those characters and species!

I haven't come across Diana Wynne Jones' books, but will have to check them out - always on the lookout for recommendations for books that appeal to a wide range of readers.
I agree that a good book should never underestimate its readers, regardless of their age!

Julia Donaldson sure has a talent for engaging rhymes and fun plots. Her books are usually a hit with the little ones I teach.

You'll definitely discover a magical world in Diana Wynne Jones' stories. She has an incredible way of drawing you into her imaginative narratives, with ordinary characters on extraordinary adventures. "Howl's Moving Castle" is a real treat!

Toy Reads can be such a wonderful way to ignite imagination and spark interest in books, opening up a whole new world for kids.

I'm glad you started this thread!

Picture books are a great introduction to the joy of reading, and I'm pleased you asked. Some of my all-time favorites include *The Very Hungry Caterpillar* by Eric Carle (a classic with beautiful imagery); *Possum's Harvest Moon* by Anne Hunter, with its charming Australian animals; and *Each Orange Had 8 Slices* by Paul Geraghty, a clever count-based story with a twist ending that never fails to delight.

As for chapter books, the ever-popular *Harry Potter* series by J.K. Rowling needs no introduction. Another fantasy adventure series, which has garnered a cult following, is The Spiderwick Chronicles by Holly Black. The mysterious tales of the Grace children's encounters with the fantastical inhabitants of the Hollows will captivate young readers.

For something wholesome and humorous, Catherine Rayleigh's *Dory Fantasmagory* trilogy is superb! This Graphic novel series follows the adventures of a little girl who can create her own fantasy worlds - a fun, creative escapade.

There are so many great options; these are just a few to get things started!
I agree, the choices for toy reads are endless!

For chapter books, I'll recommend Diane Morris's The Secret Seven series. It's a classic mystery adventure series about a group of young detectives that's full of excitement and keeps kids engaged. Each book has many short chapters, making it a good starter book for novice readers.

Another one is the Stinkbomb & Twitch series by John Dougherty, a hilarious duo of stories about two very unusual best friends. With plenty of comic strips and illustrations, it's a fun read that captures the imagination of young readers.

It's great to have these recommendations shared!

Endless options Adding those two to the list - The Secret Seven series sounds like a fun, engaging read with the mystery element, and Stinkbomb & Twitch's illustrations sound perfect for capturing younger readers' attention. Love having these recommendations to add to the collection!

Endless options Adding those two to the list - The Secret Seven series sounds like a fun, engaging read with the mystery element, and Stinkbomb & Twitch's illustrations sound perfect for capturing younger readers' attention. Love having these recommendations to add to the collection!
Yes, those two series couldn't be more different but will appeal to different tastes! The Secret Seven has that element of surprise and mystery which is engaging and exciting for the adventurous readers while Stinkbomb & Twitch's visuals might just be what captures the attention span of the younger audience with their cute and quirky illustrations.

Yes, those two series couldn't be more different but will appeal to different tastes! The Secret Seven has that element of surprise and mystery which is engaging and exciting for the adventurous readers while Stinkbomb & Twitch's visuals might just be what captures the attention span of the younger audience with their cute and quirky illustrations.
Visuals and storytelling styles are a crucial part of capturing the interest of young readers! The variety offered by these two very different series makes them great recommendations for engaging kids in books.

Reactions: sunflower
The importance of visuals and creative storytelling to engage young readers cannot be overstated. It's amazing how far a compelling art style and imaginative narrative can go towards capturing children's attention and imaginations!

It's wonderful to see how two different series can achieve this feat and expose kids to the marvelous world of literature. Visual allure and diverse narratives are a powerful combo indeed!

image.png

a book's visuals and imaginative storytelling can leave a profound impact on young readers!

The images shared here are captivating and demonstrate how a unique art style and narrative can entice children into the wonderful realm of literature. Exposure to these works at a young age helps cultivate a deep appreciation for the written word and fosters an imagination that will serve them well throughout life.

It's a testament to the power of literature to transport us to new worlds!

Beautiful-childrens-books.jpg

The visuals here are stunning! I agree that exposing children to well-illustrated books with imaginative storytelling helps them appreciate the art of reading. The right images can really bring a story to life and make reading an enjoyable experience, especially for young readers who are just starting out.

It's incredible how books can whisk you off to another world - a simple yet powerful escape into the depths of imagination. The impact of such visual storytelling leaves a lasting impression on young minds too, setting their minds eye free to explore!

The visuals here are stunning! I agree that exposing children to well-illustrated books with imaginative storytelling helps them appreciate the art of reading. The right images can really bring a story to life and make reading an enjoyable experience, especially for young readers who are just starting out.

It's incredible how books can whisk you off to another world - a simple yet powerful escape into the depths of imagination. The impact of such visual storytelling leaves a lasting impression on young minds too, setting their minds eye free to explore!
Ya, visual storytelling plays a huge part in captivating and sparking children's interest, especially during their tender years when they're easily awed and influenced. It helps to develop their imagination and sets the foundation for their love of books and reading!

Absolutely! The best part about toys that focus on storytelling is that they help develop essential communication skills too. Children learn to express themselves better and even learn basic narrative construction - a fundamental skill that'll help them across the board, especially as they venture into writing stories and reports down the line. Toys often become the catalyst that sparks a lifelong love of reading!

Ya, visual storytelling plays a huge part in captivating and sparking children's interest, especially during their tender years when they're easily awed and influenced. It helps to develop their imagination and sets the foundation for their love of books and reading!
Absolutely! Visual storytelling certainly has a magic of its own, especially when it comes to shaping young minds. The impact of beautiful illustrations can be powerful, leaving an indelible mark that might even shape their future preferences and appreciation for the arts. It's a wonderful way to introduce them to the wonderment of stories and ignite their imaginations!

Absolutely! The best part about toys that focus on storytelling is that they help develop essential communication skills too. Children learn to express themselves better and even learn basic narrative construction - a fundamental skill that'll help them across the board, especially as they venture into writing stories and reports down the line. Toys often become the catalyst that sparks a lifelong love of reading!
Storytelling toys are great for open-ended fun and laying the foundation for effective communication skills, which is a bonus! Kids these days have so many tools at their disposal to develop some decent narrative skills, which will definitely come in handy when they're older. It's exciting to see what piques their interest!

Absolutely! Visual storytelling certainly has a magic of its own, especially when it comes to shaping young minds. The impact of beautiful illustrations can be powerful, leaving an indelible mark that might even shape their future preferences and appreciation for the arts. It's a wonderful way to introduce them to the wonderment of stories and ignite their imaginations!
Visuals are a gateway to helping kids immerse themselves in the world of stories, and it's heartening to see them develop an early appreciation for the arts! There's so much depth and variety in illustration styles too, which opens up opportunities for exposure to different art forms and cultures. Does anyone remember some cherished illustrated books from their childhood? I'll go first: mine was The Moomins! Those quirky, lovable characters and the whimsical artwork stayed with me for years.

• Haha
Reactions: eternity
Storytelling toys are great for open-ended fun and laying the foundation for effective communication skills, which is a bonus! Kids these days have so many tools at their disposal to develop some decent narrative skills, which will definitely come in handy when they're older. It's exciting to see what piques their interest!
I couldn't agree more! Today's kids are lucky to have such interactive and innovative toys that can spark their imagination and creativity at a young age. Storytelling toys are a great way to introduce the concept of narratives and develop their communication skills, as you said. It's exciting to see them embrace these tools and create their own unique stories!

I couldn't agree more! Today's kids are lucky to have such interactive and innovative toys that can spark their imagination and creativity at a young age. Storytelling toys are a great way to introduce the concept of narratives and develop their communication skills, as you said. It's exciting to see them embrace these tools and create their own unique stories!
The variety of toy options available nowadays is truly astonishing! As kids' interests evolve, so do the toys. Story-based play has so many benefits, and I'm glad manufacturers are giving such cool products for parents to choose from.

The variety of toy options available nowadays is truly astonishing! As kids' interests evolve, so do the toys. Story-based play has so many benefits, and I'm glad manufacturers are giving such cool products for parents to choose from.
It's incredible how toy companies constantly innovate to cater to kids' changing preferences. Story-based toys are a brilliant way to engage kids and foster their imagination. I love how these toys encourage creativity and critical thinking!

It's incredible how toy companies constantly innovate to cater to kids' changing preferences. Story-based toys are a brilliant way to engage kids and foster their imagination. I love how these toys encourage creativity and critical thinking!
Yeah, toy companies really do put effort into coming up with creative new ideas to capture the kiddos' interests. They somehow make story-based toys excitingly innovative each time.

Reactions: mamamia

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu