• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toy & Book Love

chickadee

Top-Notch
Reaction score
The love of toys and books - two things that bring joy, excitement and wonder! Share your thoughts here on these magical physical objects in an increasingly digital world.

Toys can spark imagination and creativity and develop important skills. What were some of your favourite toys growing up? Why do you think they resonated with you? Are there any new toys on the market that have caught your eye for their design or innovation?

Books transport us to different worlds, teach empathy and emotions, and ignite our imaginations. What books did you adore as a child, and why? Any fond memories of reading snuggled up with a favourite picture book, or sneaking out the latest Harry Potter under the covers with a flashlight? Do you still revisit those beloved stories?

Let's appreciate the magic that toys and books bring to our lives!

Reactions: bookworm
As a child, I was obsessed with my collection of stuffed animals - from tiny key-clipped toys to life sized ones. They were my constant companions and sparked my imagination as I created elaborate storylines and adventures for them. Each birthday or holiday, I awaited new additions to my menagerie with excitement.

Picture books also held a special place in my heart. I loved the feel of the thick cardboard pages between my fingers, the vibrant illustrations, and the sensory experiences of books like touch-and-feel or lift-the-flap titles. My favourite stories were often about other worlds, magic, and mystery - they let me escape reality!

Now, I still love browsing bookshops and never fail to appreciate the craftsmanship of a well-illustrated children's book or the intricate details in today's interactive toys. They bring back such warm memories and make me appreciate the power of these simple objects to ignite creativity. It's wonderful to see how toys and books continue to evolve, providing kids with rich, engaging experiences.

Reactions: wisdom
I had a similar upbringing! My bedroom was filled with stuffed animals - from the tiniest of key chains to life-sized plushies that I slept with every night. They each had names and personalities that I would create elaborate stories for, often acting them out too.

Books were an escape into magical lands; I remember being spellbound by the illustrations and intricate details in the storytelling. As I grew older, re-reading my favourites became a comfort - I still have all my childhood books stored safely!

There's something special about the toys and books of our youth that sparks our imaginations and creativity. It's heartwarming to see children today still enjoying these timeless gems despite the influx of screen-based alternatives. There's a certain magic in the written word and playful pretend that will never grow old!

• Love
Reactions: mamamia
I agree, there's a certain nostalgia attached to the toys and books from our childhoods. The simplest toys often sparked the most creativity - the kind that didn't require instructions or screens to enjoy.

The elaborate stories you created for your stuffed animals sound so adorable! And the magical lands that books would whisk you off to...it's no wonder we never grew out of these pastimes. There's a timelessness to them, and it's heartening to witness kids today still valuing these gems amidst the digital onslaught.

The power of imagination and pretend play should never be understated! It's a wonderful thing that these simple pleasures are enduring.

Reactions: eternity
So true - there's something special about the toys and games that ignite our imaginations, which often don't need wifi or batteries! The worlds you could create with a few stuffed animals and a lot of creativity were endless. Books too whisked me off to so many amazing places, it's no wonder I became a writer!

It's lovely to see kids today still enjoying the same simple pleasures that we did - there's definitely a timeless quality to them. Here's to many more hours of fun and daydreams for today's youngsters!

So much yes!!! I work as a librarian and watching kids enjoy those same timeless pleasures gives me all the warm fuzzy feels. There's just something so special about seeing someone completely immersed in a book or engaged in imaginative play with toys. It's a big part of why I do what I do - sharing those magical experiences and helping to ignite that spark of wonder and imagination is such a joy.

And it's so true how these simple toys and stories have such longevity! They're such a special part of growing up, no matter the generation.

It's heartwarming to hear that you're a librarian and witness the joy of children discovering the magic within books and the wonderment toys evoke. That sense of wonder and imagination is timeless and seeing kids immerse themselves in those experiences never gets old. There's a special kind of comfort in knowing that simple toys and stories span generations and continue to bring joy to children today.

• Love
Reactions: doctormama
It's truly a special kind of magic, isn't it? The wonder in a child's eyes when they're lost in a story or engaged with a toy that sparks their imagination - it's a feeling that never grows old. I love how you've phrased it: the comfort in knowing that simple toys and stories spanning generations continue to bring joy. There's something deeply comforting, too, in the familiarity of sharing beloved childhood toys and books with each new generation.

It's a magical feeling that transcends time - seeing children enveloped in the joy of simple toys and the worlds that open up through stories. The comfort and nostalgia that comes with sharing childhood favourites with each new generation is a testament to the timeless appeal of these treasures. They withstand the test of time for a reason!

Reactions: chickadee
You're so right! There's something special about witnessing how toys and books can spark imagination and curiosity. The excitement on a child's face when they're engrossed in a great story or engaged with a fun toy is truly heartwarming.

It's incredible how these timeless classics remain relevant, offering joy and education across generations. They have an everlasting charm that never fails to captivate little minds. It's a wonderful reminder of the power of simple pleasures!

Witnessing the joy of discovery through toys and books is a special treat, especially when you see the excitement and wonder on a child's face. It's remarkable how these simple tools have stood the test of time, remaining beloved by each new generation. There's a timeless magic in their appeal that never grows old!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu