• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toy&Book Love

lioness

Top-Notch
Reaction score
In this discussion thread, several members shared their favorite toys growing up and how some of these toys have created special memories. There were different types of favored toys, including remote-controlled cars, stuffed animals, Lego sets, and ride-on toys like bikes and tricycles. These toys ignited imagination and became trusted companions. Favorite books from childhood were also mentioned, such as the adventures of Enid Blyton's Famous Five and Secret Seven series, Little Golden Books, and more. Several members reflected on the nostalgic charm of old school toys, while also acknowledging the allure of new, innovative playthings. The discussion emphasized how these cherished toys often become family heirlooms, passed down through generations, creating a warm and sentimental connection.

As the title suggests, this thread is all about our love of toys and books!

I'll go first: One of my earliest and most vivid memories is of playing with a bright yellow Fisher Price school bus; the one with the cute smiley face and working door that opened up to reveal seats inside. My mum recently found it in the attic and gave it to me for my own daughter - it's now proudly on display in her bedroom, over forty years since I first played with it!

What was your favourite toy growing up, and do you still have any special toys now?

As the title suggests, this thread is all about our love of toys and books!

I'll go first: One of my earliest and most vivid memories is of playing with a bright yellow Fisher Price school bus; the one with the cute smiley face and working door that opened up to reveal seats inside. My mum recently found it in the attic and gave it to me for my own daughter - it's now proudly on display in her bedroom, over forty years since I first played with it!

What was your favourite toy growing up, and do you still have any special toys now?
My mum kept lots of our old toys so my kids ended up playing with the same things I did! Got a few special soft toys but my favourite was this cool remote-controlled car that went really fast - and bumped into things a lot too! Still remember how to zoom it around the house, even though it's long stopped working.

I loved toys that I could wheel around as a kid - the pushcart, wagon, and pram my mum bought for my toys and teddies were awesome. The best one was this red radio-controlled car; it went really fast and could whizz past the family dog!

I still have my special bear, sitting on a shelf beside me as I type this. He's seen better days, poor guy - his fur is all raggedy and his button eye's loose, but he's coming up 30 years old!

• Love
Reactions: chickadee
My favourite childhood toy was this stuffed pink rabbit. So fluffy and cute! I hugged it till it literally fell apart. Still got lots of toys at home, mostly from friends and family overseas - they know me so well! Love me some Lego too - have a nice Star Wars set displayed on my bookshelf.

My favourite toy was this stuffed yellow rubber ducky I named Quackers. He went everywhere with me; I even took him to bed every night and would chatter away to him. Sadly, he got left behind at some point and never made it home 😔. Now that I think about it, my folks should've gotten me a replacement - a cute duckie might've been soothing for my baby sister who cried a lot back then!

I do still have a few special keepsake toys, including a tiny stuffed bear my gran gave me. It's super old and worn out now, but I love it all the same.

• Love
Reactions: sunflower
I had loads of fun with toys too! I think it'd be tied between my Lego sets and this cool remote control car that could go over land and water. Man, those were the days - Lego bricks everywhere, creating intricate castle scenes.

The other toy that really stuck with me was my stuffed doll, which I slept with every night till it turned all dusty and battered. It's long gone now, but it was a lovely companion especially on those nights when I had trouble sleeping.

img_05861.jpg

My favourite toy was this stuffed doll named Candy that I took everywhere - she even had a seat belt strapped to her whenever we were in the car! My mom sewed her a new dress a couple of times cos the old one got dirty from all the adventures. I didn’t keep any toys growing up, but I think my siblings have Candy somewhere in storage. Their kids occasionally play with her now.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: eternity and wisdom
My fav toy growing up was this super cool remote-controlled car. It was bright red, went really fast and could turn sharp corners. I used to drive it all around the house! Sadly, it broke down after a few years but man, did I enjoy it while it lasted.

Toys were the best! Especially the old skool ones. They had such soul. These days everything is so high tech, kind of soulless if you ask me. But yeah, I do admit the new tech toys are pretty wild and amazing too haha.

My fav toy growing up was this super cool remote-controlled car. It was bright red, went really fast and could turn sharp corners. I used to drive it all around the house! Sadly, it broke down after a few years but man, did I enjoy it while it lasted.

Toys were the best! Especially the old skool ones. They had such soul. These days everything is so high tech, kind of soulless if you ask me. But yeah, I do admit the new tech toys are pretty wild and amazing too haha.
My fav toy was this stuffed doll called Milly. She had long curly hair I loved to brush and a ribbon around her neck. I think the ribbon's gone now but Mom kept her for me and she's still in pretty good shape! I also had this cool set of colourful building blocks which were handy for keeping me amused. They had different shapes so you could make anything with them - still got them too!

Old toys definitely had character and charm. But these days there are some awesome innovative toys too - 3D puzzles, magnetic floating globes, glow-in-the dark stargazers...wow!

My fav toy was this stuffed doll called Milly. She had long curly hair I loved to brush and a ribbon around her neck. I think the ribbon's gone now but Mom kept her for me and she's still in pretty good shape! I also had this cool set of colourful building blocks which were handy for keeping me amused. They had different shapes so you could make anything with them - still got them too!

Old toys definitely had character and charm. But these days there are some awesome innovative toys too - 3D puzzles, magnetic floating globes, glow-in-the dark stargazers...wow!
I agree, there's something special about the toys of yesteryear; they had their own unique charm. Your Milly doll sounds adorable and those building blocks were clearly well-loved and have stood the test of time!

The toy world has definitely evolved though, with plenty of cool gadgets and innovative playthings available now.

I agree, there's something special about the toys of yesteryear; they had their own unique charm. Your Milly doll sounds adorable and those building blocks were clearly well-loved and have stood the test of time!

The toy world has definitely evolved though, with plenty of cool gadgets and innovative playthings available now.
Oh yah, those old school toys are the best! They have that special nostalgia factor. I remember having this cool fire engine toy truck with a ladder that would extend and turn. It was so much fun playing with it as a kid!

These days got so many fancy new toys it's true, but there's something about the good old days haha.

Oh yah, those old school toys are the best! They have that special nostalgia factor. I remember having this cool fire engine toy truck with a ladder that would extend and turn. It was so much fun playing with it as a kid!

These days got so many fancy new toys it's true, but there's something about the good old days haha.
That fire engine truck sounds like a cool toy! There's a certain charm to the simple and imaginative play those old toys offered. Often, the simplest toys can foster the most creative playtime. It's heartwarming to know that these special toys are often kept for generations and passed down with love.

I loved toys that I could ride on, like my shiny red bike with the white basket and bell! Had many falls but still went back to riding it around the neighbourhood. Books wise, I was a fan of the sweet and wholesome stories of Little Golden Books - they were comforting and wholesome. Still got quite a few lying around at home actually, real nostalgia value haha!

My favourite toys were the ones with wheels that I could push around or ride in. Remember those little red Radio Flyers? My mum got me one for my birthday, and I thought I was so cool whizzing down the neighbourhood slopes!

That thing lasted years, and I passed it down to my younger cousins when I outgrew it - which was a huge sacrifice cos I loved that thing! But seeing the joy on their faces made it worthwhile. I still have my trusty ol' bear too; he's all dusty and worn out but got such sentimental value.

I grew up playing with lots of cool toys so it's hard to pick a favourite! But one that comes to mind is my Lego sets. I loved building them and creating new things.

My favourite one was this big yellow garage set with little cars and people. I liked how the doors of the buildings would open and the cars could drive in, and there were different levels you could build upwards too. It was very cool! I also liked that the people had these tiny可爱小脸holes you could snap different heads into. Unfortunately, it got damaged over the years and my mom threw it out when I wasn't living at home 😢. It's such a classic toy though - lego is still going strong and my kids now enjoy it too!

• Haha
Reactions: greenfingers
The bond we form with certain toys is incredible. They become trusted companions, like Quackers was for you, or even that Fisher Price school bus for me! Some of us are lucky to have these childhood toy gems passed down or gifted within the family - makes for a warm and fuzzy feeling, doesn't it?! 😊 I still have a soft spot for stuffed animals too, there's just something about 'em. That tiny bear your gran gave you sounds adorable... even if time has taken its toll on the poor thing!

The bond we form with certain toys is incredible. They become trusted companions, like Quackers was for you, or even that Fisher Price school bus for me! Some of us are lucky to have these childhood toy gems passed down or gifted within the family - makes for a warm and fuzzy feeling, doesn't it?! 😊 I still have a soft spot for stuffed animals too, there's just something about 'em. That tiny bear your gran gave you sounds adorable... even if time has taken its toll on the poor thing!
Yup, toys and books from our childhood hold a special place in our hearts. They are like old friends! I also had a few favourite rides including a cool red tricycle with a funky bell that I rang non-stop as I rode around the estate. My siblings and I also loved playing with this huge Doctor Doll we had - it came with its own medical kit so we felt like real doctors attending to our patients!

The books I treasured most were the Enid Blyton collection - The Famous Five and Secret Seven series were my favourite! I liked the adventures the characters went on, and imagined myself as one of them running around having all these mysterious yet fun experiences.

The toys we grow up with hold so much nostalgia and joy! I can almost picture that bright yellow school bus you described; those vintage toys had such charming designs.

One of my favorite toys as a kid was this vibrant red radio-controlled car. It had all these flashy lights and could go through the toughest terrain - I used to love racing it around the neighborhood. We had this huge lush garden next door, filled with obstacles, and me and my cousins would often hold mini races there. That car's long gone now, but it sure brings back good memories!

I also had this awesome collection of storybooks - the Tales from the Magic Mountain series. They had these colorful illustrations and exciting adventures that ignited my imagination. I loved escaping into those stories. I still have the whole set, and they're in pristine condition, sitting pretty on a shelf in my study room.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu