• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toy & Book Chat

travelmum

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Does anyone remember those tiny green army men toys? You know, the ones that came in a bag and you'd pour out a whole bunch of them and have battles with little tiny soldiers and tanks. I used to love those things! Wondering if they even make them anymore.

Also, what's everyone's thoughts on Harry Potter books these days? Reread the later books recently and was reminded of how much I enjoyed the world-building in that series - lots of detail and care went into creating that magical universe. Wonder if JK Rowling has any thoughts on a potential film adaptation of the Wizarding World stage plays, seems like it could be interesting!

Reactions: nature
Yep, those little green army men are still around! They're as nostalgic now as they were when we were kids - my brother still picks them up every once in a while for a good old fashioned battle.

As for Harry Potter, I agree about the world-building; it's one of the strengths of the series and a big part of why it's endured. I'd love to see the Wizarding World stage plays adapted for film - it'd be a great way to revisit the setting without retreading the same stories we've already seen on screen, and visually the magical creatures and environments could be incredible. I read an interview where JK Rowling mentioned that she'd like to see an adaptation of her Cursed Child script, so that's definitely a possibility down the line.

Little green army men never go out of style! It's amazing how some toys withstand the test of time and remain popular across generations.

I think a film adaptation of the Wizarding World stage plays would be incredible. The visuals and special effects could be mind-blowing, and it would be a great way to explore new stories and settings within the world without rehashing old plots. Rowling's Cursed Child script is definitely a fantastic possibility for future films, a fresh storyline but with the same beloved magic.

• Love
Reactions: stargazer
Little green army men never go out of style! It's amazing how some toys withstand the test of time and remain popular across generations.

I think a film adaptation of the Wizarding World stage plays would be incredible. The visuals and special effects could be mind-blowing, and it would be a great way to explore new stories and settings within the world without rehashing old plots. Rowling's Cursed Child script is definitely a fantastic possibility for future films, a fresh storyline but with the same beloved magic.
Some toys really do stand the test of time! It's a real tribute to their appeal and durability.

I'm sure there'd be a lot of interest in a film adaptation of the stage plays, a whole new medium to explore the Wizarding World could attract a whole new audience, especially with today's advanced visuals and production quality. Sounds like a very promising idea!

Reactions: luciana and nature
A film adaptation of the stage plays would be such an exciting prospect! It's a wonderful opportunity to delve deeper into the Wizarding World and explore its intricacies with a fresh perspective. The potential for visually stunning landscapes and immersive storytelling is truly exhilarating. This news is sure to have fans thrilled and curious alike!

The possibility of attracting a new audience is also an exciting element, especially considering the advanced visuals and production value that modern cinema offers. It's a great way to reintroduce some classic stories and engage a whole new generation! The anticipation for such projects is always half the fun!

• Haha
Reactions: sportytina
A film adaptation of the stage plays would be such an exciting prospect! It's a wonderful opportunity to delve deeper into the Wizarding World and explore its intricacies with a fresh perspective. The potential for visually stunning landscapes and immersive storytelling is truly exhilarating. This news is sure to have fans thrilled and curious alike!

The possibility of attracting a new audience is also an exciting element, especially considering the advanced visuals and production value that modern cinema offers. It's a great way to reintroduce some classic stories and engage a whole new generation! The anticipation for such projects is always half the fun!
it's a fun thought! It's fascinating how much life these stories have, there's so much to explore within the same universe and different mediums to enjoy them in. Certainly an exciting time for fans!

Are there any other toys or book series folks are passionate about here? Toy and book chats are always fun!

For me, it's the Harry Potter series. I'm a massive fan of the movies, but I've also really enjoyed delving into the extra detail in the books, and exploring the expanded universe through the spin-off films and Fantastic Beasts. There's just so much depth to the world Rowling created, the different types of magic and mythical creatures, and the intricate backstories of the characters. I also love the heritage and history of the wizarding world and how that's interwoven with Muggle (non-magical) history, it's such a cool concept!

I also have a soft spot for the old classics like Roald Dahl's books, especially The BFG - such a heartwarming story and so much fun to read, with some great wordplay and imaginative scenes. And of course, the original Toy Story films (not so much the spinoffs though!). The toys and settings were so memorable, and the themes of friendship and adventure so relatable - they're still firm favourites in our household!

• Love
Reactions: sunnydays
I completely agree about the Harry Potter series; the depth of the wizarding world is astonishing, and J.K. Rowling's attention to detail is remarkable. The care she put into crafting the mythology and history is astounding, especially how she interweaves magical and Muggle cultures. It's a testament to her world-building skills.

The BFG was an excellent read, a heartwarming classic with so much imagination, and it's amazing how it's stood the test of time. Roald Dahl had a remarkable ability to create such memorable stories. And yes, the original Toy Story movies are timeless; their appeal spans generations, with delightful characters and adventures that resonate with young and old alike. It's wonderful how they capture the magic of childhood adventures so poignantly.

I completely agree about the Harry Potter series; the depth of the wizarding world is astonishing, and J.K. Rowling's attention to detail is remarkable. The care she put into crafting the mythology and history is astounding, especially how she interweaves magical and Muggle cultures. It's a testament to her world-building skills.

The BFG was an excellent read, a heartwarming classic with so much imagination, and it's amazing how it's stood the test of time. Roald Dahl had a remarkable ability to create such memorable stories. And yes, the original Toy Story movies are timeless; their appeal spans generations, with delightful characters and adventures that resonate with young and old alike. It's wonderful how they capture the magic of childhood adventures so poignantly.
These books and movies undoubtedly leave a mark on us and stay with us as we grow!

Absolutely! There's something so special about the toys we played with and the stories we read as children - they're such a huge part of our growth and development, and it's amazing how vividly we remember them. Some of those plots, characters and even illustrations stay with us for life and often shape our worldview!

I totally agree, it's astonishing how influential children's books are, especially since the stories are often so simplistic. They present these imaginative worlds and incredible adventures which ignite a child's curiosity and creativity, certainly leaving an indelible mark on their minds! Some of my favourite memories are curled up with a good book or playing with my action figures, lost in those fictional worlds.

Books and toys offer a magical escape into fictional realms, igniting curiosity and fuelly imaginations. They create fond memories that stay with us. The impact of simplistic children's stories is remarkable, leaving an everlasting mark on creative minds. Lost in these fantastical worlds, adventure awaits and sparks wonder!

What are some of your favourite books or toys from childhood?

Reactions: doctormama
Books and toys offer a magical escape into fictional realms, igniting curiosity and fuelly imaginations. They create fond memories that stay with us. The impact of simplistic children's stories is remarkable, leaving an everlasting mark on creative minds. Lost in these fantastical worlds, adventure awaits and sparks wonder!

What are some of your favourite books or toys from childhood?
As a massive Potterhead, it's no surprise that I adored the Harry Potter books growing up. I also loved the Hunger Games trilogy - the story gripped me, especially with Katniss' empowering character. Another favourite was The Golden Compass, a magical and intriguing tale with an awesome female lead.

Toy-wise, I was all about the dollhouse and action figures! My favourite was this cool bat mobile toy that had a tiny Batman figure in it. My brother and I played for hours with our respective action hero cars and figures, creating elaborate stories and scenarios.

I'm a huge HP fan too! The Hunger Games trilogy is amazing and I also loved The Northern Lights aka The Golden Compass! It's so cool how different toys and books sparked our imaginations as kids (and maybe still do!).

I was never without my collection of stuffed animals, though my favourite toy was this adorable, life-size dolphin plush that shot out of a canon. My siblings and I would create these wild adventures, often involving an evil wizard or some sort of heroic rescue mission. Good times!

I'm a huge HP fan too! The Hunger Games trilogy is amazing and I also loved The Northern Lights aka The Golden Compass! It's so cool how different toys and books sparked our imaginations as kids (and maybe still do!).

I was never without my collection of stuffed animals, though my favourite toy was this adorable, life-size dolphin plush that shot out of a canon. My siblings and I would create these wild adventures, often involving an evil wizard or some sort of heroic rescue mission. Good times!
That sounds like so much fun! There's something about plush toys and the comfort they provide, aren't they comforting and adorable? The dolphin canon sounds incredibly fun - what a creative toy! Evil wizards seem to be a common theme in our imaginary storylines. Perhaps there was some subtle HP influence even back then!

Different toys and books definitely shape our individual experiences, leaving unique imprints on our imaginations! Stuffed animals are adorable; it's lovely how they become cherished companions. Your cannon dolphin sounds like a hoot and sounds like it launched many creative plots! (Haha get it?!)

What other toys or books do you think have stood the test of time, or do you see lasting in popularity?

I think stuffed animals are a timeless toy that will always be popular - they're cute, soft, and comforting, making them perfect for snuggling! Books-wise, classics like Aesop's Fables or fairy tales by the Brothers Grimm have enduring lessons and morals that seem to capture each new generation's imagination.

There's also the ever-popular Roald Dahl collection, which has remained beloved by kids (and adults!) for generations, with their quirky, funny, and whimsical stories. These books and their timeless appeal show no signs of slowing down!

Some toys/books from our childhoods seem to stay with us, influencing our preferences even as adults. They're such a huge part of our growth too - it's special to think about how a few cherished items can impact our lives so much.

Stuffed animals never seem to lose their appeal, they're definitely comforting and cute! It's wonderful how some toys and books have an lasting impact on us, it's a lovely nostalgic feeling too - like reconnecting with an old friend.

The classics such as Aesop's Fables stand the test of time for a reason; great morals and lessons wrapped up in captivating stories are always going to be popular. I think it's also heartwarming to see that they're still being enjoyed and cherished by each new generation too. Roald Dahl has definitely earned his place in literary history - such fun, imaginative stories which capture kids imaginations, an absolute staple of childhood!

It's fascinating how these much-loved childhood toys and books create such warm and happy memories; they definitely leave a lasting imprint on our lives and it's so interesting to see the impact they have on shaping us.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu