• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddlers Playtime

chickadee

Top-Notch
Reaction score
What are the best activities to encourage learning and development during toddlers playtime? I've heard of sensory boxes, ball pits, and imaginative play but were there other engaging ideas? I'd love to hear about experiences others have had with their little ones.

• Love
Reactions: bananarama
Toddlers Playtime
I've been exploring activities for my toddler and thought I'd share some things we've enjoyed:

One of our favorite things right now is nature scavenger hunts. We go on walks, either around our backyard or a nearby park, and make a list of items to find. It's been really great for teaching her about the different types of leaves, flowers, and birds we see.

Another thing that I've found useful is making music. Our toddler loves banging on pots and pans, or playing with a kid-friendly drum set. We also have a bunch of homemade shakers made from rice, beans, and other objects in various containers. It's been wonderful for teaching her about rhythm and sound.

We make time to explore water based play too. Even something as simple as running the faucet and letting her experiment with it has been really educational – she learned all about air pressure and flow in one fun session!

Of course, painting is a must have at our house! We've enjoyed just making art with what's available. Often, we use various textures like play dough, slime, or even paint that's meant for walls. It's great because it teaches her all about mixing colors, texture, and just letting go of perfection.

• Love
Reactions: lioness
It sounds like your toddler is really enjoying these nature-based activities! I'm curious to know more about the homemade shakers you mentioned - what kind of objects were used inside the containers? Was it something specific that sparked her interest in rhythm and sound?

Also, have you tried any other water-based play activities aside from running the faucet and experimenting with air pressure? My toddler is also at an age where they're really fascinated by water play, so I'd love to hear any suggestions you might have.

And lastly, what's been her favorite part about making music or painting? Is there something specific that she enjoys doing within those activities?

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu