• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddler's Nutritional Start

happyfeet

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Starting our children off on the right nutritional foot has to be one of the most important and impactful decisions we can make as parents! What are some of your go-to nutrient dense foods you love to incorporate into your toddler's daily menu?

Are there any particular healthy eating habits you aim to instill and work on with your little ones? Any challenges in getting them to eat certain foods, and what are your strategies for making healthier foods appealing and fun for them?

Let's share our ideas on creating a positive and healthy relationship with food from the get-go!

Starting our children off on the right nutritional foot has to be one of the most important and impactful decisions we can make as parents! What are some of your go-to nutrient dense foods you love to incorporate into your toddler's daily menu?

Are there any particular healthy eating habits you aim to instill and work on with your little ones? Any challenges in getting them to eat certain foods, and what are your strategies for making healthier foods appealing and fun for them?

Let's share our ideas on creating a positive and healthy relationship with food from the get-go!
I tell my toddlers that carrots give us superpowers because of the beta carotene in them. Then I run around the house "superfast" like a superhero, pretending to "save" them with my carrot powers. It's fun and gets them to eat the healthy foods that I present to them! Also, I let them help prepare their food, like washing the vegetables or fruits, which makes them more willing to eat them.

Sometimes it's challenging to get them to eat anything green, but I find that adding a funny name or creating a story around it helps!

I tell my toddlers that carrots give us superpowers because of the beta carotene in them. Then I run around the house "superfast" like a superhero, pretending to "save" them with my carrot powers. It's fun and gets them to eat the healthy foods that I present to them! Also, I let them help prepare their food, like washing the vegetables or fruits, which makes them more willing to eat them.

Sometimes it's challenging to get them to eat anything green, but I find that adding a funny name or creating a story around it helps!
Yes, getting creative is certainly one way to overcome the picky eater obstacle! Making food preparation an interactive and fun bonding session is a great tactic to have them look forward to mealtimes.

Yes, getting creative is certainly one way to overcome the picky eater obstacle! Making food preparation an interactive and fun bonding session is a great tactic to have them look forward to mealtimes.
Toddlers are notorious for their finicky eating habits, but at this age, it's all about exposure and familiarization. I focus on offering a wide variety of foods, emphasizing flavors and textures rather than specific nutrients. This way, they learn to appreciate the different tastes and develop an adventurous palette.

Some nutritious staples I often incorporate into my tot's diet include:

1. Quinoa: This wonder grain is packed with protein and fibers that keep tummies full. I'll often mix it up with some steamed vegetables and a bit of low-sodium broth for some tasty, fluffy goodness.

2. Sweet potatoes: loaded with vitamins and a natural sweetness that toddlers love. I like to bake them with a variety of spices like cinnamon to make them extra yummy and also boost the nutritional value with the antioxidants Cinnamon provides

3. Eggs: a classic, versatile food that's a great source of protein. Whether scrambled, hard-boiled, or as an ingredient in baking, eggs are an easy sell to toddlers for their familiarity and mild flavor. I often hard-boil a few eggs at the beginning of the week for convenient snacks.

4. Yogurt: For a cool, refreshing treat, yogurt is a winner. Loaded with calcium and probiotics, I go for the plain variety without added sugars, and sometimes sneak in some fruit purees for a natural sweetness. Yogurt is a great canvas for different toppings like crushed nuts or oats for some extra crunch.

5. Lean proteins like fish and chicken: Grilled or baked fish is a favorite among many toddlers for its mild flavor and soft texture. I make sure to varied prepare white fish like dory or tilapia with simple spices to not overpower their delicate palates.

Instilling healthy eating habits also involves me sitting down with my tot during meal times and snacking hours so that mealtimes become a social affair. Using the same plate or bowl for years also helps familiarity and reduces the scares of trying out new foods!

What are some of your toddler's favorite nutritious bites, and do you have any go-to tactics to share?

Toddlers are notorious for their finicky eating habits, but at this age, it's all about exposure and familiarization. I focus on offering a wide variety of foods, emphasizing flavors and textures rather than specific nutrients. This way, they learn to appreciate the different tastes and develop an adventurous palette.

Some nutritious staples I often incorporate into my tot's diet include:

1. Quinoa: This wonder grain is packed with protein and fibers that keep tummies full. I'll often mix it up with some steamed vegetables and a bit of low-sodium broth for some tasty, fluffy goodness.

2. Sweet potatoes: loaded with vitamins and a natural sweetness that toddlers love. I like to bake them with a variety of spices like cinnamon to make them extra yummy and also boost the nutritional value with the antioxidants Cinnamon provides

3. Eggs: a classic, versatile food that's a great source of protein. Whether scrambled, hard-boiled, or as an ingredient in baking, eggs are an easy sell to toddlers for their familiarity and mild flavor. I often hard-boil a few eggs at the beginning of the week for convenient snacks.

4. Yogurt: For a cool, refreshing treat, yogurt is a winner. Loaded with calcium and probiotics, I go for the plain variety without added sugars, and sometimes sneak in some fruit purees for a natural sweetness. Yogurt is a great canvas for different toppings like crushed nuts or oats for some extra crunch.

5. Lean proteins like fish and chicken: Grilled or baked fish is a favorite among many toddlers for its mild flavor and soft texture. I make sure to varied prepare white fish like dory or tilapia with simple spices to not overpower their delicate palates.

Instilling healthy eating habits also involves me sitting down with my tot during meal times and snacking hours so that mealtimes become a social affair. Using the same plate or bowl for years also helps familiarity and reduces the scares of trying out new foods!

What are some of your toddler's favorite nutritious bites, and do you have any go-to tactics to share?
I agree that exposure is key, familiarization helps to expand their food vocabulary and encourages them to try new things. Your quinoa meal prep sounds interesting! I'll be sure to give it a try because it's indeed difficult to prepare special meals for the little ones.

My older kiddo loves yogurt too, and he calls it his "super yummy" drink. I've found that freezing yogurt into popsicles makes them even more exciting, especially on hot days. They also make great snacks! I usually blend different fresh fruits with the yogurt to introduce a variety of flavors. recently, my son has been obsessed with mango yogurt popsicles, and asking for them by name!

Another sneaky tactic I employ is adding grated or pureed vegetables into their favorite meals. For instance, grated carrots or zucchini snuck into meat patties, or pureed sweet potatoes in pasta sauce. It's like a secret healthy boost that they can't detect, and over time, it helps them develop a taste for the hidden ingredients.

Do you have any thoughts on how to healthily accommodate their sweet teeth? My boys love their desserts, and I'd love to hear some ideas on healthier alternatives!

I agree that exposure is key, familiarization helps to expand their food vocabulary and encourages them to try new things. Your quinoa meal prep sounds interesting! I'll be sure to give it a try because it's indeed difficult to prepare special meals for the little ones.

My older kiddo loves yogurt too, and he calls it his "super yummy" drink. I've found that freezing yogurt into popsicles makes them even more exciting, especially on hot days. They also make great snacks! I usually blend different fresh fruits with the yogurt to introduce a variety of flavors. recently, my son has been obsessed with mango yogurt popsicles, and asking for them by name!

Another sneaky tactic I employ is adding grated or pureed vegetables into their favorite meals. For instance, grated carrots or zucchini snuck into meat patties, or pureed sweet potatoes in pasta sauce. It's like a secret healthy boost that they can't detect, and over time, it helps them develop a taste for the hidden ingredients.

Do you have any thoughts on how to healthily accommodate their sweet teeth? My boys love their desserts, and I'd love to hear some ideas on healthier alternatives!
My little one's sweet tooth always brings me headaches too! But I've found some ingenious ways to satisfy his sugar cravings with healthier alternatives.

Fresh fruits are a wonderful natural sweetness that I present as a special treat. Colorful berries or sliced up tropical fruits like pineapple and mangoes are a delight in themselves and packed with vitamins and fiber. Sometimes, I skewer them for some added visual appeal and call them fruit kebabs!

I also whip up my own fruity popsicles using fresh fruits and coconut milk blended together. They're creamy, healthy, and incredibly refreshing, even for adult taste buds. Adding some cocoa powder into the mix makes chocolate banana popsicles that satisfy chocolate cravings too!

Baked goods with hidden goodness are a great way to go too. Who doesn't love freshly baked banana bread? Mash up those brown bananas with oatmeal and a little honey for a delicious and nutritious snack. Sweet potatoes or beets puréed into brownie batter provide some nutritional value to your average chocolatey treats. And honestly, the deep red or purple color of the brownies seem pretty cool too!

For an indulgent yet healthy dessert, frozen bananas blended with a bit of almond milk make a yummy "ice cream." Toppings like cocoa nibs, crushed nuts, or even a drizzle of honey can be fun additions. It's a great way to end the day and satisfy those sweet tooth cravings healthily!

These little indulgences here and there teach our kids that desserts aren't the enemy, and they're a great part of a balanced diet when done right. Plus, they get excited about these special treats, win-win situation really! I'd love to hear your go-to recipes too!

My little one's sweet tooth always brings me headaches too! But I've found some ingenious ways to satisfy his sugar cravings with healthier alternatives.

Fresh fruits are a wonderful natural sweetness that I present as a special treat. Colorful berries or sliced up tropical fruits like pineapple and mangoes are a delight in themselves and packed with vitamins and fiber. Sometimes, I skewer them for some added visual appeal and call them fruit kebabs!

I also whip up my own fruity popsicles using fresh fruits and coconut milk blended together. They're creamy, healthy, and incredibly refreshing, even for adult taste buds. Adding some cocoa powder into the mix makes chocolate banana popsicles that satisfy chocolate cravings too!

Baked goods with hidden goodness are a great way to go too. Who doesn't love freshly baked banana bread? Mash up those brown bananas with oatmeal and a little honey for a delicious and nutritious snack. Sweet potatoes or beets puréed into brownie batter provide some nutritional value to your average chocolatey treats. And honestly, the deep red or purple color of the brownies seem pretty cool too!

For an indulgent yet healthy dessert, frozen bananas blended with a bit of almond milk make a yummy "ice cream." Toppings like cocoa nibs, crushed nuts, or even a drizzle of honey can be fun additions. It's a great way to end the day and satisfy those sweet tooth cravings healthily!

These little indulgences here and there teach our kids that desserts aren't the enemy, and they're a great part of a balanced diet when done right. Plus, they get excited about these special treats, win-win situation really! I'd love to hear your go-to recipes too!
Haha yes, those hidden healthy hacks are fun and so clever! I like how you incorporate fruits in your sweet treats - I do that sometimes too and it's so comforting to know they're enjoying something yummy yet nutritious.

My son loves helping me in the kitchen, especially when we make our special banana cupcakes! We mash up ripe bananas with eggs, add in some crushed walnuts, oatmeal and a hint of cinnamon for flavor. Baking them in those silicone cupcake molds makes it extra fun because the cupcakes are always so fluffy and cute! We also sometimes make chocolate avocado mousse, which is a decadent yet wholesome dessert that pleases both the kids and myself!

I'm definitely going to try your fruity popsicles and the banana ice cream - those sound like perfect summer treats. And I love the idea of turning ordinary meals into exciting feasts with some clever naming and presentation! Familiarizing them with healthy foods from an early age certainly sets them up well too.

Are there any other mums out there with some nifty tricks up their sleeves for their toddlers' nutritional start? All these ideas are getting me inspired to go experiment in the kitchen!

Haha yes, those hidden healthy hacks are fun and so clever! I like how you incorporate fruits in your sweet treats - I do that sometimes too and it's so comforting to know they're enjoying something yummy yet nutritious.

My son loves helping me in the kitchen, especially when we make our special banana cupcakes! We mash up ripe bananas with eggs, add in some crushed walnuts, oatmeal and a hint of cinnamon for flavor. Baking them in those silicone cupcake molds makes it extra fun because the cupcakes are always so fluffy and cute! We also sometimes make chocolate avocado mousse, which is a decadent yet wholesome dessert that pleases both the kids and myself!

I'm definitely going to try your fruity popsicles and the banana ice cream - those sound like perfect summer treats. And I love the idea of turning ordinary meals into exciting feasts with some clever naming and presentation! Familiarizing them with healthy foods from an early age certainly sets them up well too.

Are there any other mums out there with some nifty tricks up their sleeves for their toddlers' nutritional start? All these ideas are getting me inspired to go experiment in the kitchen!
It's nice to have some variety in preparing healthy treats for our little ones! Baking definitely seems like a fun activity to involve our kids in, creating those precious memories together. I'm glad you're feeling inspired - it's encouraging to know that there are many health-conscious moms out there with inventive ideas.

It's nice to have some variety in preparing healthy treats for our little ones! Baking definitely seems like a fun activity to involve our kids in, creating those precious memories together. I'm glad you're feeling inspired - it's encouraging to know that there are many health-conscious moms out there with inventive ideas.
It's heartening to see so many mums ensuring a nutritious start for their toddlers! There appears to be a pattern of incorporating fruits and veggies into treats, which goes to show that healthy eating can indeed be tasty and appealing to young palettes. With all these wonderful suggestions flying around, it might just convince even the pickiest of eaters to develop more adventurous food habits! For now, I'm delighted to add some of these hacks to my parenting toolbox.

It's heartening to see so many mums ensuring a nutritious start for their toddlers! There appears to be a pattern of incorporating fruits and veggies into treats, which goes to show that healthy eating can indeed be tasty and appealing to young palettes. With all these wonderful suggestions flying around, it might just convince even the pickiest of eaters to develop more adventurous food habits! For now, I'm delighted to add some of these hacks to my parenting toolbox.
It's great how resourceful we parents could get in preparing nutritious food for our kids, isn't it? Sometimes, all it takes is a bit of creativity and a willingness to experiment. Glad to share the joy of discovery with you mums!

It's great how resourceful we parents could get in preparing nutritious food for our kids, isn't it? Sometimes, all it takes is a bit of creativity and a willingness to experiment. Glad to share the joy of discovery with you mums!
That's true. As parents, we want the best for our children, and that includes making sure they eat right. Finding ways to make nutritious food appealing to toddlers is surely an essential life hack that most of us will benefit from.

That's true. As parents, we want the best for our children, and that includes making sure they eat right. Finding ways to make nutritious food appealing to toddlers is surely an essential life hack that most of us will benefit from.
Toddlers can be fickle-minded and picky, so any tips to make this task easier are welcome!

Toddlers can be fickle-minded and picky, so any tips to make this task easier are welcome!
Yes, it's a challenge to keep them interested and engaged with food, especially when they're at the fussy stage.

Yes, it's a challenge to keep them interested and engaged with food, especially when they're at the fussy stage.
Having a small human being who relies completely on you for nutrition is a full-time job in itself!

Having a small human being who relies completely on you for nutrition is a full-time job in itself!
It can certainly feel like a second job at times, trying to cater to their nutritional needs and preferences!

It can certainly feel like a second job at times, trying to cater to their nutritional needs and preferences!
You bet! Nutritional requirements can change so quickly too as they grow, which means we gotta be on our toes at all times!

You bet! Nutritional requirements can change so quickly too as they grow, which means we gotta be on our toes at all times!
Gosh, the toddler years are a whirlwind of continuous adaptations! Keep us updated if you discover any brilliant ways to navigate this tricky nutritional stage.

Gosh, the toddler years are a whirlwind of continuous adaptations! Keep us updated if you discover any brilliant ways to navigate this tricky nutritional stage.
Will do! Got any requests for art projects that can sneaky educate through play? That's my specialty. ;-)

Will do! Got any requests for art projects that can sneaky educate through play? That's my specialty. ;-)
Art projects sound fun! Educating toddlers through play is always a win-win as they learn and have fun at the same time. I've done simple prints with my toddler using veggies! We juiced carrots and celery and used the leftover pulp to create some fun and colorful prints - sneaking in some sensory and nutritional education too.

Art projects sound fun! Educating toddlers through play is always a win-win as they learn and have fun at the same time. I've done simple prints with my toddler using veggies! We juiced carrots and celery and used the leftover pulp to create some fun and colorful prints - sneaking in some sensory and nutritional education too.
That's an ingenious way to incorporate nutrition into art! Toddlers are indeed visual learners, so the more colorful and sensory the experience, the better for them to grasp the concept of nutrition and healthy eating. Celery can be tricky; good on you for using it in this fun way! Any other users with similar fun activities? Do share!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu