• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddlers' Nutrition

sunnybunny

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Involving kids in the cooking process can help pique their interest and willingness to try new foods. Parents could prepare a variety of colorful and fun dishes for their toddlers and allow them to pick what and how much they would like to eat. To tackle picky eating, parents could creatively present the food, such as cutting it into fun shapes or creating themes to make mealtime more enjoyable; or disguise the healthy ingredients in their kid's favorite foods.

It is important not to worry too much about picky eating, but rather focus on offering a variety of nutritious options and letting them self-regulate their diet. As kids' taste buds change over time, what they disliked previously may become a favorite dish eventually. Additionally, serving the food family-style allows toddlers the freedom to explore different flavors and textures.

Some parents recommend adding protein powder to smoothies or warming up milk and adding a unique flavor to it to entice the kids. Last but not least, being sneaky with healthy ingredients and focusing on creating fun mealtime experiences are great ways to ensure toddlers obtain sufficient nutrition!

Forums: Nutrition and Feeding
Thread Title: Toddlers' Nutrition

1) What challenges have you faced in ensuring your toddlers are getting proper nutrition?
2) How do you handle picky eaters, and what foods or strategies have worked in encouraging healthy eating habits?
3) Are there any specific nutrients that you focus on for your growing toddlers? How do you incorporate them into meals/snacks?
4) How do you balance providing nutritious meals while also allowing your toddler some autonomy over their food choices? Share your experiences and any tips you've picked up along the way!

I'm lucky my toddler doesn't give me much trouble when it comes to eating; he's pretty adventurous and will usually give everything a try. But I make sure to offer him lots of variety so his diet is balanced because I know how important that is!

It helps to expose them early to different types of food, especially healthy snacks like cut-up fruits and veggies. My strategy is to involve him in preparing the food too - he's more likely to eat something he's helped prepare! Also, I don't stress too much about messy eaters because I figure that's part of the learning process - and it's not a big deal to provide some guidance on how to eat neatly. But some of his friends are super picky eaters, and that's a real challenge for their parents! I've seen some resist eating anything but chicken nuggets and fries, so I do feel for moms and dads in that situation. It's hard to find a good balance between giving them what they'll eat and introducing new foods.

I focus on making sure he gets enough protein and calcium, so I often give him yogurt and small portions of cheese as snacks. We also pump up the nutrition by sneaking spinach into smoothies - adding some milk and frozen berries makes it tasty and healthy! And for protein, fish is a regular on our menu, and I sometimes hide minced meat in his favorite pasta sauces. It's a bit tricky because he's inherited my sweet tooth, so I have to be extra mindful that he doesn't fill up on sugary foods, but we do allow some treats now and then - everything in moderation, right?

I think it's important to let them make some decisions about their food, especially if it encourages them to eat independently. If they want to pick what fruits or veggies go into their lunchbox, or choose a new cereal to try, I go along with it. It makes them feel involved and empowers them to make healthier choices down the line.

I'm lucky my tot isn't too fussy when it comes to food. He eats most things and doesn't really need encouragement cuz he's curious and eager to try all kinds of new foods on his own.

But I do make sure to offer a variety of nutritious options cos I know some meals might not be balanced enough on their own. For example, if he has a lot of rice or noodles for lunch, I'll pack some extra veggies and protein in the meal, like fried tofu or boiled eggs, just to ensure there's a good mix of nutrients.

Also, I try to involve him in preparing meals cuz he seems more keen on eating something he had a hand in making. Like cracking eggs into the bowl or mixing ingredients together. He feels proud and is more likely to want to taste whatever we've prepared!

And when all else fails, fruit always seems to do the trick. My tot loves slicing up bananas or peeling oranges and will almost always finish his meal with some kind of fruit. It feels like a healthy dessert and a good way to end the meal!

I've been lucky in some ways and not so lucky in others when it comes to my tot's nutrition. Lucky because she loves her fruits and veggies - not so lucky in the sense that she's a super picky eater when it comes to protein sources, and that's an essential part of her diet!

Getting her to eat protein has been a challenge, but I found that mixing it up works quite well. She doesn't like meat, but will gladly have some fish, eggs, or Lentils/dal, so I ensure I incorporate these into meals. hide the ingredients is also another trick - like making fried rice with carrots, onions, and minced meat. She doesn't fancy beans either, but eating them in burger form is a yes! So I make homemade bean burgers.

I focus on getting all the macro nutrients - carbs, protein, and fats - plus vitamins from fruits and veggies. It's quite tricky because, like most kids, she has her fads where she'll only eat certain foods for weeks, then completely reject them after. But I've found that exposing her to a variety of textures and flavors regularly helps - keep offering, and they will eventually eat!

I also involve her in preparing meals - she's more likely to eat something she's had a hand in making or harvesting from the garden! Giving choices also works well - e.g., would you like an apple or orange for snack time?

It's definitely a challenge but being persistent and creative goes a long way!

I'm lucky my kid isn't super picky about her meals. She eats most things and that makes it easier for me. But one challenge is that she's a lightweight eater; small appetite so I make sure the food she does eat is nutrient dense. I focus on getting her to eat more protein because I feel like that fills her up better and keeps her satisfied longer. Also got to have some fruits and veggies in there too.

I let her have autonomy over the meals I serve - if she doesn't want to eat everything on her plate, it's fine as long as she eats the main dish. Sometimes I hide healthy stuff too, like pureed carrots or spinach in her sauces haha. She doesn't know and I feel less guilty about that.

Some of the challenges include getting the little ones to eat their veggies and also making sure the food is nutritious AND gets finished! Haha. No easy feat

For picky eaters, I'd go with the 'hide and seek' technique - sneaking in grated carrots or beans into spaghetti sauce or mashed bananas into pancakes works like a charm most of the time! Also, getting them involved in preparing the meals helps too - tot helped to mix the ingredients or wash the veggies, they tend to be more willing to give it a taste after all the hard work.

I usually focus on getting some protein and fibre into my kid - grilled chicken slices, fish fingers , wholemeal toast, lentils, and stuff like that. Also, I make it a point to offer fruits and veggies as snacks.

As for balancing nutrition and autonomy, I think it's good to offer options within certain boundaries - like for meals, I'll dish out the nutritious stuff first and then let them choose a side or two from healthier options . Sometimes also give them a 'fun' food choice as a little reward if they've been eating well - y'know, something like a cute cookie cutter shape or a special dip for their veggies.

Some of the challenges include getting the little ones to eat their veggies and also making sure the food is nutritious AND gets finished! Haha. No easy feat

For picky eaters, I'd go with the 'hide and seek' technique - sneaking in grated carrots or beans into spaghetti sauce or mashed bananas into pancakes works like a charm most of the time! Also, getting them involved in preparing the meals helps too - tot helped to mix the ingredients or wash the veggies, they tend to be more willing to give it a taste after all the hard work.

I usually focus on getting some protein and fibre into my kid - grilled chicken slices, fish fingers , wholemeal toast, lentils, and stuff like that. Also, I make it a point to offer fruits and veggies as snacks.

As for balancing nutrition and autonomy, I think it's good to offer options within certain boundaries - like for meals, I'll dish out the nutritious stuff first and then let them choose a side or two from healthier options . Sometimes also give them a 'fun' food choice as a little reward if they've been eating well - y'know, something like a cute cookie cutter shape or a special dip for their veggies.
Well, I'm lucky my kiddo takes an interest in most foods anyway, but I totally get it's not the same for everyone!

I find keeping things interesting and involving them in the cooking helps. Like you said, they're more likely to eat something they've had a hand in making - and it keeps them occupied while mamak too!

I also noticed my tot eats better when he has a proper meal routine. So I make sure he has a balanced breakfast, and that seems to set the tone for the rest of the day.

Oh, and I agree with the sneaky veggie/fruit tactic too! Grated carrots in meatloaf or mashed bananas in pancakes - they never know what hits "em! Haha.

Reactions: greenfingers
I find that making food together gets the little ones to be more open about their eats - like crafting the perfect sandwich with all sorts of fillings and shapes is fun for them! Also helps to introduce new foods this way because they can 'customize' their meal and have some say in what goes into their tummies.

I usually have some ready-cut fruit pieces or veggies sticks around too - the accessible healthy snacks seem to help with snacking right throughout the day, and it's quite a low-prep way to ensure nutritional intake! Not so worried about the mess; having a wet cloth at hand usually sorts it out. Hehe.

Toddler nutrition is really more of an art than a science - you never really know what they're gonna dig in and spat out each mealtime! But it's fun figuring it out along the way, seeing as how their preferences change too.

My main challenge is that my toddler has very little appetite, so I try to ensure that the meals are nutrient-dense! I sneaky-chefy hide veggies like carrots and spinach in smoothies, or blend boiled veggies like cauliflower into her favourite mashed potatoes.

I also make eating fun with cute bento box presentations and let her eat with her hands sometimes - it's a mess but she enjoys it. To involve her in the process, I let her help me pick out ingredients at the grocery store and 'wash' and prepare the veggies under my supervision. She's more likely to eat something she's helped prepare!

I focus on omega-3 fatty acids, so we eat lots of fish, and I sneak flax seeds into baked goods. Also, growing kids need lots of calcium, so dairy features prominently in her meals and snacks. Yogurt, milk, and cheese are good between-meals snacks too.

I don't force her to finish every meal - it's a no-pressure situation, and if she doesn't want something, I just put it away for her to try again later. I offer lots of variety and figure that as long as the offerings are nutritious and balanced over the course of the week, it's all good! She's gotta learn to trust her appetite and eat according to her own hunger cues, so I make sure mealtimes are relaxed and enjoyable.

Keeping them involved in the cooking is a great tip! My kiddo loves using his tiny chopper to help prepare meals, and he's more likely to eat something new if he's had a hand in making it.

And yeah, a good meal routine definitely helps! I find that having some kind of routine for snacks also helps to keep their hunger satisfied in between meals. I just make sure there's always a variety of nutritious snacks around - things like cut-up fruits and veggies, homemade muffins , or whole grain toast with peanut butter. That way, if they're hungry, they have some healthy options at hand rather than reaching for unhealthy snacks.

Having a mix of foods they have to eat with their hands, like finger foods, also keeps them engaged and occupied during meal times!

I usually just give my tot chicken fillet or fish fillet – the meat on bones is hard to eat and may be a choking hazard. I cut the fillets into small pieces so it's easier for the little one to manage. If it's cooked properly, the protein breaks up easily too.

I also steam a lot of veggies and just let her eat them raw -- carrots, broccolli, cauliflower – these are a good snack, really. Sometimes I blend some veggies and fruits together and make smoothies – that goes down well on hot days.

My tot also loves eggs, so I try to cook them in different styles – sometimes boiled, scrambled or an omelette. I let her pick what she wants to eat from the fridge – within reason – so she feels she has some control over what goes into her body.

I'm not too worried if she doesn't finish her meals. Kids won't starve themselves and will eat if they're hungry enough. But yes, mealtimes can sometimes feel like a battlezone haha. Got to keep reminding myself that it's a phase and she'll grow out of it eventually!

I usually just give my tot chicken fillet or fish fillet – the meat on bones is hard to eat and may be a choking hazard. I cut the fillets into small pieces so it's easier for the little one to manage. If it's cooked properly, the protein breaks up easily too.

I also steam a lot of veggies and just let her eat them raw -- carrots, broccolli, cauliflower – these are a good snack, really. Sometimes I blend some veggies and fruits together and make smoothies – that goes down well on hot days.

My tot also loves eggs, so I try to cook them in different styles – sometimes boiled, scrambled or an omelette. I let her pick what she wants to eat from the fridge – within reason – so she feels she has some control over what goes into her body.

I'm not too worried if she doesn't finish her meals. Kids won't starve themselves and will eat if they're hungry enough. But yes, mealtimes can sometimes feel like a battlezone haha. Got to keep reminding myself that it's a phase and she'll grow out of it eventually!
Raw veggies are great! Blended smoothies are a fantastic way to ensure the little one gets some nutrition in, especially when they're being picky.

I also let my tot choose what goes onto their plate, within reason, so they feel involved and excited about mealtimes. It's a nice balance of giving them some independence and still ensuring they eat right.

Can't force them to finish everything on their plate, but offering healthy options is a good habit!

• Love
Reactions: joyful and koala
Raw veggies are great! Blended smoothies are a fantastic way to ensure the little one gets some nutrition in, especially when they're being picky.

I also let my tot choose what goes onto their plate, within reason, so they feel involved and excited about mealtimes. It's a nice balance of giving them some independence and still ensuring they eat right.

Can't force them to finish everything on their plate, but offering healthy options is a good habit!
Haha yup, it's a daily struggle but offering healthy options is really the way to go! And yeah, I try not to fret too much when she doesn't clean her plate, especially if it has to do with veggies. I figure the smoothie helps compensate for some of the nutrition she might be missing out on.

It's great how you let your tot have some control – it's an easy way to get them interested in food and eating healthy!

What other tricky eating scenarios do parents have to navigate these days? We've all been there with our picky eaters, haven't we!

As a parent, making sure our little ones are getting the right nutrients is challenging, especially when they're at the fussy eating stage!

One issue I faced was getting my tot to drink milk. She just didn't seem to like the taste of fresh cow's milk, and getting her to down a glass was a daily struggle. So what worked for us was making it fun - I'd add some chocolate flavouring and a bit of whipped cream on top, turning it into a little treat. She loved it, and it became something she looked forward to each day!

Also had some success with making mini pancakes using different shapes/molds - seems like a small thing, but the variety kept her interested in what was on her plate. And if I'm really desperate for her to eat some veggies, I'll grate them up super fine into a sauce or pureé them so they're less obvious hah!

I find that offering a variety of textures and flavours keeps things exciting - it's too boring and predictable to stick to the same foods, but then again, I also think it's good to not introduce too many new foods at one go cos it can be overwhelming for them. So I usually introduce new stuff slowly and try not to make a big fuss about it. Also, letting her help with preparing meals has been fun - giving her simple tasks like mixing or washing the veggies makes meal times more engaging and encourages her to eat.

The struggle is real, but these little hacks have helped us so far! Hope some of them work for you too!

As a parent, making sure our little ones are getting the right nutrients is challenging, especially when they're at the fussy eating stage!

One issue I faced was getting my tot to drink milk. She just didn't seem to like the taste of fresh cow's milk, and getting her to down a glass was a daily struggle. So what worked for us was making it fun - I'd add some chocolate flavouring and a bit of whipped cream on top, turning it into a little treat. She loved it, and it became something she looked forward to each day!

Also had some success with making mini pancakes using different shapes/molds - seems like a small thing, but the variety kept her interested in what was on her plate. And if I'm really desperate for her to eat some veggies, I'll grate them up super fine into a sauce or pureé them so they're less obvious hah!

I find that offering a variety of textures and flavours keeps things exciting - it's too boring and predictable to stick to the same foods, but then again, I also think it's good to not introduce too many new foods at one go cos it can be overwhelming for them. So I usually introduce new stuff slowly and try not to make a big fuss about it. Also, letting her help with preparing meals has been fun - giving her simple tasks like mixing or washing the veggies makes meal times more engaging and encourages her to eat.

The struggle is real, but these little hacks have helped us so far! Hope some of them work for you too!

I face the same issue with getting my kid to drink plain milk! Your idea of adding chocolate and whipped cream sounds like a delicious treat that I'll definitely try!

Meal prep has become so much fun since I involve my toddler. Giving them tasks makes them feel involved and I find that it encourages them to eat too. I also notice that my tot eats better when there's variety - different shapes and colours on the plate. I usually go slow and steady with new foods, and don't push it cos I don't want meal times to become a battleground!

Some of the other mums here might like to know about your trick with the veggies - grated or pureed, that's genius! Haha, our little ones won't suspect a thing.

I find that getting the tot involved in preparing the meal helps a lot! They're more likely to eat something they've had a hand in making, and it's a good way to sneak some veggies into the dish. Also got to be creative with presenting the food - cutting it up into fun shapes or arranging it in a particular theme sometimes helps.

Toddlers also tend to mimic us adults, so if we act enthusiastic about the food, that might just spur them on to take an interest too! I try not to worry too much about picky eating as long as she's generally healthy and hitting her milestones. Sometimes, I just tell myself it's a phase, and they'll eventually grow out of it haha. But of course, that doesn't mean we let them have their way with food choices all the time - setting some boundaries and offering options is still important!

Some toddlers are super picky with their food, so getting them to eat nutritious meals can be challenging! But there's hope - my strategy is usually to camouflage healthy foods in his favorite dishes la. For example, adding chopped up veggies like carrots and tomatoes into fried rice or pasta sauce. Also, I make it a point to involve him in preparing the dishes, especially the fun part of cooking - like mixing ingredients or shaping food. This somehow makes him more interested in eating what we've prepared together!

It's also a good idea to introduce a variety of textures and flavours from young, so that their tastebuds don't stick to just one type of food. But of course, have to be mindful also not to force feed them, which might lead to even more resistance. Slowly introducing and not giving up hope - one day they will eat!

Some mummies also recommend serving meals family style, where everyone eats the same thing but toddlers can pick and choose what and how much they want to eat from the variety of dishes. And over time, their taste buds change and develop too, so what they used to dislike, they may grow to enjoy eventually!

Reactions: mamamia and koala
When it comes to getting the little ones to eat right, I face a couple of challenges! It's hard when they're picky eaters and would rather fill up on milk than solid food. Getting them to eat balanced meals can be tough - they either love or hate the veggies. And if they're in a fussy mood, mealtimes can become a battle of wills!

To solve this, I try to make meals interesting by getting creative with presentation. Cutting food into shapes or stacking things up can make dinner a lot more fun! For picky eaters, I find that involving them in the cooking process helps - they're more likely to eat something they've had a hand in making. Also, adding a dipping sauce can encourage them to take that first bite!

I focus on making sure they get enough protein and fibre, so I sneak in beans and lentils where I can. These days, I try not to be too controlling - offering a variety of healthy options seems to work best because the toddler will self-regulate and learn to make healthier choices over time. You never know till you try!

• Haha
Reactions: koala and nature
For protein, I find it easier to give her protein powder mixed with her favorite fruit smoothie, so she gets the nutrition without knowing. Also works for when you're in a rush.

I focus on different types of sensory inputs - like serving food with different shapes and colors, or making meal times fun with different themes. Toddler's easily get bored so switching things up helps.

As long as the meals are balanced and nutritious overall, I don't stress too much about individual ingredients. It's so hard to cater to their likes and dislikes, plus their needs change so frequently! But yeah, offering a variety and exposing them young helps in the longer run.

For sure, the little hacks help a lot! My kiddo also went through a phase of refusing milk. I found that warming it up and adding a teeny bit of malt did the trick - the taste was just different enough to make it interesting again.

I'm all for making meal prep fun and getting the little ones involved. They're more likely to eat something they've had a hand in preparing, and it's a good way to spend quality time together too! I let my tot "play" with her food - like arranging bite-sized veggies and fruits on a plate to make a face or pattern. Makes snack time a lot more fun and she's more inclined to eat her creations!

Sometimes it's also about finding the right texture for them - like if they don't take to solid veggies, I'll steam them soft so they're easier to chew and swallow. Or blending them into a smoothie with some fruit always does the trick! You gotta be sneaky sometimes, but hey, as long as they get their nutrients right?

It's certainly challenging but those little wins along the way make it rewarding!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu