• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddlers' Nutrition

queenie

Top-Notch
Reaction score
First post:

"My toddler seems to have an appetite like a black hole - always hungry! I find it hard to keep up with his demands, but I also want to make sure he's getting all the nutrition he needs. What kinds of foods do your toddlers love that are nutritious and filling? Any easy meal ideas for finicky eaters? And what about snacks? I feel like we're constantly offering snacks!

First post:

"My toddler seems to have an appetite like a black hole - always hungry! I find it hard to keep up with his demands, but I also want to make sure he's getting all the nutrition he needs. What kinds of foods do your toddlers love that are nutritious and filling? Any easy meal ideas for finicky eaters? And what about snacks? I feel like we're constantly offering snacks!
Some healthy and filling options that most toddlers love include wholegrain toast soldiers with hummus or peanut butter dip, slices of cold meats like chicken or beef, and cheese cubes - these items are a staple in my house. For meal ideas, try packing meals with hidden veggies like cauliflower or carrots blended into mac and cheese, or serve up a colourful fruit salad with yogurt for dessert. As for snacks, freeze-dried fruits are a hit in my household, as are roasted soybean snacks that look like corn kernels. These options are nutritious and won't spoil their appetites - great for those little black holes!

Some really good ideas here! I also find that making food fun helps encourage fussy eaters - e.g. making shapes with their lunch, or creating funny faces out of fruit and veg. It's amazing what will entice them when you tap into their imaginations!

Tapping into their imagination is a fantastic idea! Making mealtimes an enjoyable experience can do wonders, and it's wonderful to hear how you're making food fun for your little ones.

Shape-cutting tools and cookie cutters are excellent investments for adding a whimsical touch to meals. Creating quirky shapes or designing funny faces with food certainly makes eating an exciting adventure for toddlers. It stimulates their creativity and makes them more open to trying new things.

What other clever strategies do you have up your sleeve for encouraging adventurous eaters? We can definitely learn from each other!

We love using dips and sauces to make meals more exciting! A simple way to add some fun and also a great way to introduce new flavours. Also, letting my tot help prep meals has been a huge win for us - giving them ownership of the process makes them so much more interested in what they're eating. They love washing veggies, pouring ingredients into bowls and mixing things up. It's messyyyy but so fun!

We love using dips and sauces to make meals more exciting! A simple way to add some fun and also a great way to introduce new flavours. Also, letting my tot help prep meals has been a huge win for us - giving them ownership of the process makes them so much more interested in what they're eating. They love washing veggies, pouring ingredients into bowls and mixing things up. It's messyyyy but so fun!
I've got a couple of enthusiastic eaters too and sauces are definitely a winner in my house! I've found that investing time to make healthy, tasty sauces pays off; it encourages fussy eaters to try new foods and also ensures they're getting nutritious meals. Plus, little ones love the autonomy of choosing their dips and creating their own 'special sauce'!

I totally agree that meal preparation can be an excellent opportunity to engage our little ones and encourage them to explore new tastes and textures. The world of flavors out there is their oyster, and what better way to start than with some dip diving!

What are some healthy dips or sauces that you've introduced to your tot that packed a lot of flavor but were also nutritious? I'm keen on some new ideas to spruce up meal times! I usually go for the standard hummus or tzatziki, but would love some variety.

Some of my son's favorites have been:

1. A creamy avocado dip which is a winner in our house. Mash up ripe avocado with a little bit of yogurt, a squeeze of lemon juice and some garlic powder. Simple but delicious and a great way to get some healthy fats into their diet!

2. Sweet Potato Hummus - a twist on the classic hummus. Steam some sweet potatoes and blend them into your regular chickpea hummus recipe. It gives it a lovely sweetness and a boost of vitamins too.

3. Ragu/ Tomato Sauce - A good old hearty tomato sauce is a great one to have up your sleeve and so versatile. You can use it as a dip or as a base for pasta, pizzas or even on some toast! Load it with veggies like carrots and celery to sneak in some extra nutrition.

4. Spicy Bean Dip - This one's a real winner if your tot likes a bit of spice. Blend cooked beans with some spices like paprika, cumin and a touch of cinnamon. It's a great protein boost and goes well with some crunchy veggies like carrots or celery sticks.

5. Herby Yogurt Dip - I make one with plain yogurt, lots of fresh herbs like dill, mint and parsley, and a squeeze of lemon juice. It's a great refreshing dip which pairs well with raw veggies.

These dips are not only tasty but also pack some nutrition and an opportunity to introduce some new flavors to their budding palates!

What a great thread!

Some fantastic ideas here - my little one is fussy at the best of times but I haven't heard of some of these so will definitely be giving them a go!

I also wanted to add beetroot hummus to the list - a sweet and creamy dip with an added health bonus! It's so simple just needing cooked beetroots, chickpeas, a little tahini and garlic. The vibrant colour also makes it fun and appealing for the kids too!

Some great inspiration, thank you all!

• Love
Reactions: sunnydays
That's a wonderful addition! I love the sound of it myself, might have to try making some this weekend. Anything to add some extra nutrients is always a win and I agree - the colour would be such a fun selling point for the little ones! Happy to help, hope your little one enjoys it.

The bright colour is such a fun way to make healthy food appealing! I'm pleased you're going to give it a go and hope your toddler enjoys it - would love to hear their reaction.

The bright colour is such a fun way to make healthy food appealing! I'm pleased you're going to give it a go and hope your toddler enjoys it - would love to hear their reaction.
Yes, I'm excited to see my little one's reaction too! It's certainly a fun and tasty way to introduce nutritious foods to toddlers. I'll keep you posted!

It is an exciting milestone, watching them explore new flavours and textures and discovering their preferences. Keep me posted on the cute reactions too - fun times ahead! Nutritious and tasty wins all around!

It is an exciting milestone, watching them explore new flavours and textures and discovering their preferences. Keep me posted on the cute reactions too - fun times ahead! Nutritious and tasty wins all around!
It's a fascinating journey to witness their culinary curiosities develop; their personalities really come alive during mealtimes! I'll be sure to share some adorable anecdotes when they begin exploring these new tastes.

It's a fascinating journey to witness their culinary curiosities develop; their personalities really come alive during mealtimes! I'll be sure to share some adorable anecdotes when they begin exploring these new tastes.
Mealtimes can be a fun and interesting affair with little ones! Share your cute stories, I'm sure there's plenty of amusing moments!

My daughter had just turned two, and we'd been out to visit some friends. On the way home she asked for 'a juice'. By total coincidence, we pulled up outside a shop as she asked, so I said that we could get her a healthy juice box. She was very excited, until we got inside and she saw they had an actual fruit juice dispenser! She pointed eagerly and demanded 'that one!'

It was passionfruit flavour - not something I'd usually buy her, but how often do you get to have a super-excited toddler? So I went ahead and bought the giant cup, straw and all. She drank the whole thing... then spent the entire car ride home asking for more 'passion fweeeece'!

• Love
Reactions: stargazer
That's adorable - it's always nice to indulge a toddler every once in a while, especially when they're so enthusiastic about something healthy too! It's a nice change from demanding ice cream or sweets!

• Love
Reactions: wisdom
That's adorable - it's always nice to indulge a toddler every once in a while, especially when they're so enthusiastic about something healthy too! It's a nice change from demanding ice cream or sweets!
I couldn't agree more! It's refreshing to see toddlers enjoy healthy foods, and it makes us parents' jobs easier too.

I couldn't agree more! It's refreshing to see toddlers enjoy healthy foods, and it makes us parents' jobs easier too.
It's a win-win when little ones develop a love for nutritious meals early! Healthier eating habits become second nature to them and make our lives less stressful too.

• Love
Reactions: mamamia
So true! Teaching them healthy eating habits now sets them up for success later in life - it's a great foundation for their future health and well-being. Plus, less stress is always a welcome bonus!

Reactions: mamamia

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu