• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddlers' Nutrition

mamamia

Top-Notch
Reaction score
First off, let's discuss some key points about toddler nutrition! This stage of childhood is so exciting - as your little one becomes more mobile and independent, their dietary needs change massively too. Toddlerhood is a critical period for growth and development, so it's natural to have lots of questions on what and how to feed them.

Some key considerations:

1) Their tiny tummies can only fit so much! Toddlers often eat less than we'd expect, and that's okay. Portion sizes should be tailored to their actual appetite - think ½-¾ cup of food per meal, and offer 3 meals plus 2-3 snacks daily.

2) They're developing preferences and might become fussier with food. It's normal and indeed beneficial to expose them to a variety of tastes and textures. Offer a balanced mix of foods across the day - aim for a colourful plate with veggies, fruits, proteins, and healthy fats.

3) Growth spurts can be sudden and intense! Have nutritious snacks readily available for those hungry spells, and ensure you've always got some go-to options they love.

4) This is a great stage to involve them in cooking, encouraging adventure in trying new foods. Make it fun! Offer age-appropriate utensils and let them help prep meals - it empowers them and introduces them to healthy eating habits.

5) Ensure you're up to date with the latest recommendations on hydration, which fluids are appropriate, and how much sleep they need too - these impact nutrition and overall health massively!

What specific nutrition queries do you have about your tot's dietary needs? Any current challenges or wins you'd like to share?

As a mom of a picky eater, one of my biggest challenges is exposing her to different types of food without forcing or pressuring her to eat. It's a delicate balance because I don't want to resort to cooking multiple meals, but I also don't want mealtimes to end in battles.

So my question is really about how to introduce new foods without stress and maintain a peaceful environment. I try to follow some of the principles you mentioned, like offering small portions and involving her in prep work, but I'd love to hear more ideas on making this transition smoother!

It's a tricky situation for sure - you want your little one to eat healthily and develop good habits, but don't want mealtimes to become a warzone!

One thing that helped me was making the focus of meals more about the social aspect rather than the food itself. So lots of conversation, even if it's just silly chat or talking about our days, and really emphasising that sitting together at meal times is a fun, special thing we do as a family - not just a practical fuelling up opportunity!

I also found that giving my toddler some control over what we ate helped - letting them choose between two options is a good way to give them some agency without being overwhelming. For example, would you rather have carrots or peppers with your lunch? It makes it fun and also lets them feel involved in the process.

Finally, I started letting my child help with preparing food - even simple tasks like washing veggies or mixing things together made them feel more invested in the meal and therefore more likely to give it a go.

Good luck - and remember you're not alone! Most parents have gone through the same struggles!

Great suggestions! I especially like the idea of framing mealtimes as a social event rather than just fuel - it's so true that children respond well when meals become an enjoyable routine they look forward to, and of course, it's beneficial for their social and emotional development too.

The notion of giving them some control is spot on; after all, they are little people with their own personalities and preferences! Giving them some agency and independence where possible is a brilliant way to encourage healthy eating habits without the power struggle.

It's also a fab idea to get them involved in preparing food; it's amazing how willing they can be to eat something they've had a hand in making or preparing - even the simple tasks as you say! It all helps with that sense of ownership and pride in what they're eating.

Some fantastic tips, thank you for sharing!

Great suggestions! I especially like the idea of framing mealtimes as a social event rather than just fuel - it's so true that children respond well when meals become an enjoyable routine they look forward to, and of course, it's beneficial for their social and emotional development too.

The notion of giving them some control is spot on; after all, they are little people with their own personalities and preferences! Giving them some agency and independence where possible is a brilliant way to encourage healthy eating habits without the power struggle.

It's also a fab idea to get them involved in preparing food; it's amazing how willing they can be to eat something they've had a hand in making or preparing - even the simple tasks as you say! It all helps with that sense of ownership and pride in what they're eating.

Some fantastic tips, thank you for sharing!
It's true what they say - the key to a child's heart is through their stomach! You'd know what works best for your child and what doesn't.

The best thing about nurturing a toddler's diet is making food fun and exploring different flavours and textures together. Finger foods are a hit at this age, and I've found that involving my little one in preparing meals makes them more likely to try new things. There's a lovely element of surprise too - you never know what they'll end up loving!

That's such a great approach, making food fun is a wonderful way to introduce different nutrients to them and develop their palate!
It's so true how engaging them in prep encourages exploration and it's fascinating to see what they're drawn to. The mini chef in action is adorable too!
Does anyone have any specific foods or recipes they've found are real winners with their little ones? I'd love some new ideas to tempt the tastebuds!

Reactions: doctormama
Making food fun definitely helps! I find that cutting food into different shapes with cookie cutters gets my toddler interested, especially when it's her favourite foods like sandwiches or fruit.

We also grow a lot of our own herbs which seems to fascinate her - we'll go outside and pick some fresh basil or rosemary together, and she loves helping to snip the stems and then enjoys eating the herbs themselves too! It makes her more inclined to eat the final dish when she's had a hand in preparing the ingredients.

A current winner in our house is a fun 'rainbow wrap' which is essentially a colourful sushi roll: a whole wheat tortilla spread with cream cheese, layered with thin slices of red pepper, cucumber, and carrot, then rolled up tightly like a sushi roll and sliced into rounds.

Another hit are homemade cornbread muffins, loaded with grated zucchini, crumbled feta, and chopped fresh parsley - they've got three different textures which is great for sensory play as well as keeping things interesting tastewise! I sometimes switch out the herbs for cinnamon and a tiny bit of maple syrup for a sweet version too.

• Love
Reactions: joyful
Those are some awesome ideas!

The rainbow wrap is a great visual treat and a fun way to get a range of veggies into a meal.

Home grown herbs certainly adds a cool element to the food prep especially getting the little one involved in the process.

Cornbread muffins with the add ins you mentioned sound delicious! And versatile too - savoury or sweet, they'd be a hit.

I might try some of these additions soon!

• Love
Reactions: wellness and cissy
So glad to hear you like the ideas!

The wrap and the cornbread muffins are definitely fun, colourful, and nutritious ways to jazz up meals - and getting little hands helping in the kitchen is a great way to make meal prep fun for everyone 🙂

What other types of foods do you normally prepare for your toddler? Maybe some more ideas will pop up!

Reactions: koala and eternity
We usually prep fruit salads with lots of berries and sometimes a bit of honey. Also, vegetable spring rolls are a fun one to prepare together - my toddler likes filling up the rice paper wraps and choosing which veggies to include.

We've recently started making sushi too, which is also a fun and healthy option that they can help with - pushing the rice into sushi rolls or shaping their own onigiri. And of course, it's a great opportunity to practice those fine motor skills with all the dipping!

• Haha
Reactions: queenie and cissy
Those are some fun food prep ideas! We also love making homemade fruit and vegetable juices - my toddler enjoys dropping the produce into the juicer, especially when we make it a game of "which colour juice will we make today?" It's also an easy way to pack in lots of nutrition, especially if you're trying to sneak some veggies like carrots or beets into a kid who doesn't like eating them whole. We also love making smoothies - the vibrant colours are fun and they're a good opportunity to add some healthy fats and protein too.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu