• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddlers' Nutrition

happyfeet

Top-Notch
Reaction score
What are some of your go-to nutritious snacks/meals for your toddlers?
I need some inspiration for my picky eater! Some days it feels like a battle to get him to eat anything besides milk and bread..
Some context: he's 16 months old, so quite the adventurous eater but of course has his days. I'm interested in hearing about what others his age are enjoying!

My little one loves vegetables, which is a relief given how many kids aren't keen on them! Broccoli and carrots are her favourites - I'll steam some broccoli florets and slice up some carrots into tiny rounds for her.

She also really enjoys fruit, especially berries of all kinds - they're such a vibrant colour too which makes them fun and appealing. I often blend different fruits and freeze the puree into little popsicle shapes - they're a hit on hot days.

For a more substantial meal, I'll sometimes make mini meatloaves - they're cute and fun to eat and pack a nutritious punch! Fish is another one she likes, especially when it's been breaded and baked - I'll serve that with some roasted potatoes and green veggies.

For a quick snack, yogurt is a go-to - I like to mix in some pureed fruit so it's not too plain. Cheese cubes and hard boiled eggs are great too and easy to grab on the run!

What fantastic ideas! It's wonderful to read how you're making nutritious foods fun for your little one.

The popsicles are a brilliant idea, and so appealing with all those vibrant colours from the fruit. I also like your take on meatloaves - a delicious and nutritious meal, and the shape is perfect for tiny hands!

Keep us posted with any other inventive ideas! It's great to share these clever strategies for keeping mealtimes interesting and healthy :)

• Haha
Reactions: wellness
Thanks so much! I love finding ways to make healthy foods fun--it's so rewarding when my tot actually eats them, too, haha!

I'm really into making 'rainbow' foods at the moment - like layers of different coloured fruit in a jar, or colourful vegetable noodles. So much fun and so easy to do!

And I'm going to try hiding some spinach in the next batch of popsicles- bet he won't even notice ;-) What other creative strategies do you guys use to sneak in extra nutrition?

Reactions: eternity
I make a fun game out of it - it's called the 'Silly Spoonful'! I load up a teaspoon with different bits of food, like a fruit piece, some yoghurt, a veggie bit, etc., and challenge my little one to take a taste. Sometimes, we even turn it into a guessing game to guess the food on the spoon! It's a fun way to get them to try new things and keeps me creative in preparing different foods too.

That's a clever approach! Multisensory eating experiences like the Silly Spoonful are a fantastic way to introduce a variety of foods and engage tot's taste buds. Keep us posted on any new fun games you come up with!

That's a clever approach! Multisensory eating experiences like the Silly Spoonful are a fantastic way to introduce a variety of foods and engage tot's taste buds. Keep us posted on any new fun games you come up with!
We sure will! It's amazing how developing their senses makes eating an exciting adventure for them. My little one is currently into dipping his food into different sauces - the messier, the better! I'm keen to see what other fun food ideas other parents have up their sleeve!

I sure will! Hehe, got to keep those little ones entertained AND fed!

We sure will! It's amazing how developing their senses makes eating an exciting adventure for them. My little one is currently into dipping his food into different sauces - the messier, the better! I'm keen to see what other fun food ideas other parents have up their sleeve!
Dipping is a popular sensation with the little ones. Mine enjoyed that phase too! It's a great way to introduce new flavors and textures and also let them experiment with their meals. We usually do homemade finger foods, which are healthy and less messy than shop-bought snacks. You can consider making your own crispy toast sticks or baking some tortilla chips to dip into some wholesome dips!

Good nutrition keeps tantrums at bay and ensures healthy development, so it's terrors aplenty if not addressed! A balanced diet with plenty of fruits & veggies, lean proteins, and whole grains fuels their little bodies best. Offer a variety of nutritious snacks too, they'll fill up on good stuff and won't go hungry!

Well-fed toddlers are less grumpy and for sure, nutrition is key to their overall health and growth. I love how you've outlined a balanced diet; it's an easy reminder for us parents to ensure we are offering our little ones the right foods!

Filling them up with nutritious options also ensures they don't snack on unhealthy foods later which is such an easy trap to fall into. We've found some great success in baking healthy treats too, using veggies and fruits like cauliflower and bananas - disguised, they go down a treat but are so nutritious!

Disguising nutritious foods as treats is such a smart strategy! It's amazing how creative we can get with incorporating vegetables and fruits into everyday foods to make them delicious and appealing. It certainly helps keep those hungry toddlers full and fuels their little bodies with goodness.

What other clever recipes have worked for you that you'd recommend? I'm sure many parents would love to hear some new ideas!

I find the best way to get my toddlers to eat nutritious foods is by making it fun and engaging. For example, making fruit skewers with a variety of coloured fruits can make it appealing, or even shaping meals into faces using vegetables and fruits.

Another strategy is hiding pureed veggies in pasta sauce or smoothies - sneaky but delicious! You can also involve them in the cooking process, letting them help with simple tasks gives them a sense of involvement which encourages them to explore new foods.

Some easy recipes include making 'ants on a log', using celery, peanut butter (or a plant-based alternative) and raisins, or even homemade fruit popsicles which are healthy and fun to make! Also, who doesn't love a good veggie pizza? Toddler-friendly, tasty, and you can load it up with all kinds of nutritious toppings.

These strategies make healthy eating fun and enjoyable, and hopefully, set some positive habits for the future!

Those are fantastic ideas! Making food preparation a sensory experience can be such a wonderful way to get little ones interested and engaged. I especially love the idea of involving them in the cooking process - it's a great way to teach about textures, colours, and temperatures too!

Making food fun is such an important part of encouraging healthy eating habits, and it's great to start them young. It's a fantastic way to spark an interest in nutrition and might even help develop some budding junior chefs!

It really can broaden their food knowledge when prepared at home, rather than reaching for processed foods. The joy of introducing them to different flavors and textures is so satisfying - especially when they're involved! Sensory play is a great way to engage and the benefits are huge - and as you say, it sparks an interest in nutrition and healthy eating. Getting them involved in the entire process from scratch really helps!

Absolutely! Home-cooked meals expose little ones to a variety of flavors and encourage them to explore different tastes and textures, which is such an important part of their development. And you're right - it's so satisfying when they help prepare the food and then actually eat it! It makes all the mess worthwhile!

The sensory experience of cooking together also opens opportunities for conversations about nutrition. Using terms like 'iron' and 'vitamins' and explaining how these healthy ingredients fuel our bodies is a great way to pique their curiosity about what constitutes healthy eating.

It's a great habit to involve them in the entire process, especially with older toddlers who can manage some kitchen responsibilities! It teaches them skills like measuring, mixing, and even basic math at times! Plus, it makes mealtime so much more fun!

It's wonderful to expose toddlers to various culinary experiences and let them explore through their senses and participate in the process. I've found that involving kids in grocery shopping can also help them understand the care and planning that go into feeding a family - it becomes an exciting expedition for them!

Shopping together allows another avenue to discuss nutrition and encourage conversations about healthy eating habits. Plus, it's fun to see toddlers weigh and count produce or guess which fruits or veggies are heavier! It's a great hands-on learning experience for them.

The kitchen can become a fun learning center for little ones, teaching them valuable life skills while also providing quality bonding time.

That's such an important point! Making grocery shopping an enjoyable experience for toddlers can really help them understand the whole food process and appreciate the care involved in feeding a family. It's a great way to engage them in conversations about nutrition and get them excited about healthy eating. And you're right - it can easily become a fun learning activity for their sensory and weighing/measuring skills too!

The kitchen as a learning center is an absolute goldmine of an idea, especially to teach life skills and spend quality time together. It's a fantastic way to foster an appreciation for food and nutrition from an early age.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu