• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddlers' Nutrition Solutions

wisdom

Top-Notch
Reaction score
So many parents struggle with getting their little ones to eat nutritious meals and snacks, so I wanted to create a space where we could share our solutions!

I'll go first: my toddler is obsessed with dipping. We've found that offering him healthy dips like hummus or tzatziki gets him excited to eat his veggies and even some fruits too! He also loves finger foods and small bites he can pick up and eat himself - think mini pancakes, cereal, or cut-up fruit and cheese.

What are your go-to nutrition wins? I'd love to hear some new ideas!

That's a great strategy with the dipping! My little one also loves anything she can pick up herself - especially if it's something sweet like berries or cherry tomatoes.

I've been pureeing some veggies and fruits to sneak them into her favorite foods - apple sauce is a great vehicle for hidden nutrition! I'll add some pureed cauliflower or spinach into the sauce, which maintains the taste but also gives a nutritional boost. She also loves yogurt, so I'll often mix in some frozen berries for a sweet snack.

I'm keen to hear other people's secrets too - it's a constant challenge keeping their diets balanced!

What brilliant ideas!

I find that making food fun helps encourage them to keep eating healthily too - so anything shaped like faces or animals goes down well! Using cookie cutters on sandwiches or shaping fruit into fun shapes makes lunchboxes feel more exciting. Also, letting your little one help prepare the food encourages them to eat it too; it's a great sensory experience.

I agree that it's definitely a challenge but worth it to know they're getting nutrients they need!

Great tips on making food fun! I totally agree about getting kids involved too, and creating an experience out of cooking. It's amazing what captures their interest and encourages them to eat healthily - a real win when it works!

Some days nothing seems to work though, and that's okay too! :laughing:

• Love
Reactions: sportytina
Absolutely! It can definitely be a challenge some days - but you're right, it's so worth it when it works! And a good reminder that it's okay when it doesn't; there's always tomorrow !
What are some of the fun, kid-friendly recipes or food ideas that have worked for your toddlers? Any specific themes or ingredients that have been a hit?

Some fun ideas that worked with my picky toddler:

- "Ants on a log" - celery sticks filled with peanut butter and topped with raisins.

- Using cookie cutters to make shaped sandwiches - hearts, stars, or their favorite animals. Fruit and cheese kabobs are also a hit with some themes. For instance, pirates could work well with gold-colored pineapple chunks on skewers!

- "Hidden" veggies worked well too - pureed broccoli or spinach in pasta sauce or homemade pancakes. Grated carrot and zucchini in meatloaf or burgers is also a great way to add nutrients without changing the flavor too much.

Some days are hit and miss, but these ideas are fun and nutritious!

Some fantastic ideas there - I especially love the theme-based meals! So creative!

I've found pasta salads to be a good way to sneak in some veggies too - colorful bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, and even some greens like spinach can be added into the pasta. My little one also loves dips so I offer various healthy dips like hummus or tzatziki with raw carrots, celery or whole grain crackers which they seem to enjoy!

It's always a challenge but well worth the effort to see them enjoy nutritious foods.

Some fantastic ideas there - I especially love the theme-based meals! So creative!

I've found pasta salads to be a good way to sneak in some veggies too - colorful bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, and even some greens like spinach can be added into the pasta. My little one also loves dips so I offer various healthy dips like hummus or tzatziki with raw carrots, celery or whole grain crackers which they seem to enjoy!

It's always a challenge but well worth the effort to see them enjoy nutritious foods.
Pasta salads are a clever way to make meals fun and sneak in some nutrition too! Different shapes of pasta and colorful veggies certainly make it fun for little ones. Dips are a great idea - a healthy and tasty way to encourage kids to eat their greens!

Pasta salads are a brilliant way to get fussy eaters to finish their vegetables. I'll throw in some grilled chicken cubes and call it "Chicken Spaghetti" and my kid loves it.

Pasta salads are a clever way to make meals fun and sneak in some nutrition too! Different shapes of pasta and colorful veggies certainly make it fun for little ones. Dips are a great idea - a healthy and tasty way to encourage kids to eat their greens!
Some toddler-friendly dips you can prepare at home with hidden health benefits are :

- Creamy Avocado Dip: Blend avocado, yogurt, and a hint of garlic. This creamy dip is not only tasty but also rich in healthy fats and protein, a great way to go green!

- Sweet Potato Hummus: A twist on traditional hummus with the addition of sweet potato. Serve it with carrot batons or celery sticks for a vitamins and minerals boost.

What other fun and nutritious ideas do you think could be an addition to meal times?

Some more yummy and nutritious dips/spreads which will entice toddlers could be:

- A creamy beetroot dip. Puree cooked beetroots with a little yoghurt, garlic and lemon juice - the vibrant colour makes it fun too!

- Sun-dried tomato pesto - whiz sun-dried tomatoes, olive oil, pine nuts, and basil to create a delicious savoury spread which is packed with Vitamin C from the tomatoes.

Perhaps also a good old favorite like a creamy tuna salad, which can be a great source of omega 3s when made with real mayo, and is a fun one for toddlers to help mix and serve with crackers or veggies!

Some other nutritious 'dipping' foods besides crudites could be mini tofu or tempeh cubes, cooked chickpeas or beans, or even fruit cubes like melon or pineapple for a sweet dip option.

What about some hidden nutrition in fun shapes? Cookies cut into shapes like stars and animals seem to go down a treat with the little ones!

Some great ideas here! I especially like the idea of using fruit for dipping - a sweet alternative to the savoury options is sure to be a hit with my little one.

I've also found that making homemade finger foods encourages my tot to eat more healthily. Things like homemade chicken nuggets or cornmeal-crusted salmon fingers are big hits and, because they're baked instead of fried, I don't mind offering them often. Paired with some of your brilliant dip suggestions, it's a win!

It's also a good way to involve the little ones in the kitchen - even if it means just helping to sprinkle the breadcrumbs or stirring the batter. Bonus: it keeps them occupied while I finish preparing the rest of the meal!

Some great ideas here! I especially like the idea of using fruit for dipping - a sweet alternative to the savoury options is sure to be a hit with my little one.

I've also found that making homemade finger foods encourages my tot to eat more healthily. Things like homemade chicken nuggets or cornmeal-crusted salmon fingers are big hits and, because they're baked instead of fried, I don't mind offering them often. Paired with some of your brilliant dip suggestions, it's a win!

It's also a good way to involve the little ones in the kitchen - even if it means just helping to sprinkle the breadcrumbs or stirring the batter. Bonus: it keeps them occupied while I finish preparing the rest of the meal!
Baking is definitely a healthier option and a great way to get toddlers involved in the kitchen without the dangers of hot oil. Plus, the crunch satisfaction is mostly preserved.

That's a great point about getting the little ones involved in preparing food. It can be an educational and fun experience for them to help with baking, and an incentive to eat healthier too.

• Love
Reactions: eternity and joyful
That's a great point about getting the little ones involved in preparing food. It can be an educational and fun experience for them to help with baking, and an incentive to eat healthier too.
Ya, getting our lil' ones to don an apron and help us in the kitchen can be a fun learning experience! Teaching them about food and healthy eating habits is best startin' young. They'll have fun and learn some basic culinary skills too. Might even encourage them to eat their veggies!

Ya, getting our lil' ones to don an apron and help us in the kitchen can be a fun learning experience! Teaching them about food and healthy eating habits is best startin' young. They'll have fun and learn some basic culinary skills too. Might even encourage them to eat their veggies!
It's true, little ones can learn so much from helping out in the kitchen! It's an educational all-rounder, really.

Kitchen duties are a great way to engage their senses and teach them about food and nutrition while they're curious and absorbing everything. It's also a wonderful opportunity to work on motor skills, especially when they get to handle soft foods or utensils safely. And of course, it makes them more open to trying new foods too!

Teaching little ones about nutrition and getting them involved in the kitchen is a fantastic idea! It certainly helps to develop their senses and motor skills, and exposes them to different textures and flavours which is so important. I love how it encourages them to explore and experiment with food - it can really help with being more adventurous in what they eat too. What other activities have been successful in getting toddlers interested in nutrition and new foods?

• Haha
Reactions: bubblyfish
I agree, it's an excellent idea to involve toddlers in the kitchen! Using age-appropriate utensils and ingredients, toddlers can practice their grasp on sensory play and hand-eye coordination.

Some fun activities which introduce toddlers to new foods could include having them grow their herb gardens indoors; it teaches them about the source of food and encourages an appreciation for nature too!

Another activity could be creating a 'taste bud adventure' with various healthy foods covered up, where they guess the flavors and textures - even blindfolding them adds to the fun and excitement. You could also incorporate a creative aspect by having them decorate healthy cookies or pizzas, which enticingly introduces new flavors in a familiar context.

Making meals into a sensory experience with different textures and colors is a great way to spark their curiosity about food and its origins. It's a great first step to fostering positive relationships with food and nutrition!

I agree, it's an excellent idea to involve toddlers in the kitchen! Using age-appropriate utensils and ingredients, toddlers can practice their grasp on sensory play and hand-eye coordination.

Some fun activities which introduce toddlers to new foods could include having them grow their herb gardens indoors; it teaches them about the source of food and encourages an appreciation for nature too!

Another activity could be creating a 'taste bud adventure' with various healthy foods covered up, where they guess the flavors and textures - even blindfolding them adds to the fun and excitement. You could also incorporate a creative aspect by having them decorate healthy cookies or pizzas, which enticingly introduces new flavors in a familiar context.

Making meals into a sensory experience with different textures and colors is a great way to spark their curiosity about food and its origins. It's a great first step to fostering positive relationships with food and nutrition!
herb gardening and fun activities like blindfolded taste-testing are wonderful ideas to engage toddlers and spark their interest in food and nutrition. These activities help develop their senses and connect them with nature too.

Reactions: wisdom and lioness

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu