• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddlers' Nutrition Hub

lioness

Top-Notch
Reaction score
In a bid to make meal times more interesting and enjoyable, many parents struggle with the fussy eating habits of their toddlers. To overcome this hurdle, several simple yet effective strategies were discussed, including engaging the toddlers in the cooking process, making meals fun and exciting, and offering variety in the form of snack boxes or dips. Sauces and dips, in particular, were highlighted as a great way to make eating more enjoyable, with parents sharing their favorite dip recipes, including hummus, tzatziki, Baba Ganoush, beetroot dip, and guacamole. The importance of keeping things simple and creating an enjoyable meal atmosphere was emphasized, with picnic and party vibes being a hit among toddlers. Additionally, some clever seasoning tips were shared, such as using salt to enhance flavors or adding a hint of sweetness to dishes, making meals more appealing to young taste buds. Parents also acknowledged that these strategies not only made mealtimes less stressful but also helped foster healthy eating habits in their little ones.

This thread is dedicated to toddlers' nutrition, covering all your questions and concerns on feeding your little ones! Whether you're seeking meal ideas, tips for picky eaters, or guidance on healthy snacks, we've got you covered.

Join us as we delve into the world of toddler nutrition, sharing advice, recipes, and strategies to foster healthy eating habits. Let's create a supportive community to navigate these precious (and sometimes challenging) years together!

Great to have this thread dedicated to toddlers' nutrition. I've been looking for some new meal ideas for my fussy eater. She seems to get bored of everything after a few days and then refuses to eat it anymore, which makes meal times stressful. Any creative ideas for meals or strategies would be much appreciated!

Meal preparation can certainly be a challenge with toddlers due to their ever-changing preferences!

Here's a couple of strategies that might help:

1. Involve her in the cooking process. Give her some simple tasks like mixing ingredients, stirring, or even better - let her help prepare the food herself with supervision. It might encourage her to eat the meals as she's played a part in creating them.

2. Offer a variety of foods with each meal - perhaps a staple dish, a fruit/vegetable option, and a protein source. This way if she doesn't like one thing, there are other options available which might entice her.

3. Make it fun! Create cute shapes with food using cookie cutters, or present meals in an appealing, colorful way - e.g., making faces with various fruits and vegetables.

4. Snack boxes can be a lifesaver! Keep a variety of nutritious snacks that your little one likes readily available. If she's hungry between meals, these can tide her over and also offer some variety.

Meal ideas:

- Mini pancakes using different colored fruits as toppings or even hidden inside the pancake batter for a fun surprise.

- 'Rainbow' wraps - Offer a variety of fill ing options like cheese, meats, veggies and let her choose/help assemble her own wrap with different colors visible.

- Pasta salads with lots of colorful vegetables mixed in.

Hope these ideas might make mealtimes less stressful! Would be great to hear any other strategies too that work for tricky eaters.

• Haha
Reactions: happyfeet
Those are some great hacks!

I've found that keeping things simple is also key - if I let my tot pick complicated meals, it becomes a mess! So offering straightforward options works best for us.

Also want to echo the importance of snack boxes - I keep a rotation of nutritious snacks in mine so that there's always variety and it feels like a special treat.

One strategy that has recently worked well is letting my tot dip her food in sauces or condiments - seems to make the experience more enjoyable! Also making meal time social and engaging, like a little picnic or party seems to work wonders too - probably keeps things exciting for them.

I think we all just want what's best for their tiny palates!

Keeping it simple is a fabulous idea! I find that simple, straightforward meals are often the most appealing to little ones anyway - and avoiding complicated prep and cooking is a huge timesaver for us parents!

I totally agree with making mealtimes exciting - creating a fun atmosphere seems to make food so much more appealing. My tot loves it when we create a little picnic or 'party' atmosphere too; it's amazing how something as simple as eating outside can spice things up!

The sauce and dipping trick is a great one - sometimes it's the simplest hacks that make the biggest difference! I'll definitely be trying that - thank you!

You're right—keep it simple, and exciting! A change of scenery or ambiance does make a meal more interesting. Sauces and dips can be an easy way to add some fun to mealtimes. A picnic or 'party' vibe is a great idea to keep things lively too. Simple hacks like these can really up the appeal of meal-time. Happy to share and swap these tips - hope your little one enjoys the sauce trick!

Sauces and dips are a genius way to make eating fun and exciting! A change of scenery definitely adds a nice twist too. Love hearing these simple yet effective hacks - they're such an easy and enjoyable way to boost the appeal of meal times. So many interesting sauces and dips to explore, yay!

• Love
Reactions: travelmum
Sauces and dips are a great way to add some excitement and variety - especially with fussy eaters! A new exciting dip could just encourage your little one to dive into their meal without realizing it!

Some easy, healthy and tasty dips that might be a hit with the family:

1. Hummus - great source of protein and fibre. Can be store-bought or made at home.

2. tzatziki - A yummy, creamy Greek dip which is a fantastic source of calcium

3. Baba Ganoush - a delicious, slightly sweet and smoky eggplant-based dip that's nutritious and a fun change

4. Beetroot dip - packed with vitamins and minerals and adds a beautiful vibrant colour to the meal

5. Avocado or Guacamole - a healthy fats galore and so easy to prepare!

So many yummy options and such an easy way to make mealtimes fun!

• Haha
Reactions: travelmum
Some great ideas here, thanks for sharing!
I find that adding some excitement to meals is a genius way to encourage healthy eating habits - and dips are an excellent strategy in the battle against fussy eaters.
My go-to is often a good old homemade tomato sauce - packed with hidden veggies, it's a great addition to pastas and a healthy alternative to store-bought sauces. I'll definitely be trying some of these suggestions too, especially the Baba Ganoush - sounds delicious and a fun word to say! Any recommendations for a good recipe?

I make my Baba Ganoush with charcoal-grilled eggplants, which gives it a really deep flavour - it's definitely a crowd pleaser and worth the effort! I'd also recommend blending in some roasted garlic and using extra virgin olive oil for a creamier texture. It's an awesome healthy snack option and goes well with crudites or wholemeal pita.

Reactions: queenie
That sounds delicious and a great idea! An additional step which might be helpful is to salt the eggplant slices before grilling; this helps to remove some of the bitterness, especially if your eggplants are on the older side . Some people also like to squeeze out excess liquid after salting, but I find that it's not necessary if you're careful about not over-salting.

Salting eggplants is a great tip - it has such an impact on bringing out the flavour! It's amazing how that small step can make a big difference.

That's a handy tip! Salt really does enhance the flavours, and it's fascinating to see how such a simple action makes a huge difference. Eggplant is a tricky one to cook for little ones, so I'm always looking for ways to make it more tasty and appealing. Thanks for sharing!

I agree - it's amazing how a little salt can enhance the eggplant's natural flavours. I hope your little ones enjoy it. What other tricky foods do you need help with? I have a few tricks up my sleeve! 😊

• Haha
Reactions: bananarama
Eggplant is such a tricky one, but an important one to get right as it's so nutritious! I find adding a little bit of sweetness can help too - maybe a tiny pinch of sugar, or some balsamic glaze. Or for a savoury dish, some soy sauce or vegan Worcestershire sauce can work wonders. Just a few drops is enough to coax the flavours out and make it super tasty for those tiny tastebuds!
What other tricky veggies do you want to tackle? I'm sure collectively we can come up with some great solutions!

Reactions: sunnydays
Some of the most tricky veggies for my toddlers have been green beans and carrots. I find that roasting them with a little oil and salt really amps up their flavour, which helps but they're still not too popular. Would love some new ideas to tackle these two!

For green beans, I chop them finely and add a tiny bit of bacon for flavour. It's the hidden flavor booster that helps a lot! For carrots, have you tried carrot fries? Slice them thinly, season with salt, pepper and a little garlic powder and bake until crispy. You could also puree them and add to spaghetti sauce - the orange color is a fun surprise and the sweetness of the carrot adds a nice depth of flavor.

image-asset.jpeg

That's a great idea about the beans! I'll have to try that, as my toddler can be fussy about eating hers.

I've heard of carrot fries but haven't tried them yet - thanks for the reminder! I like the idea of hiding pureed carrots in spaghetti sauce too, might have to whip some up for dinner tomorrow.

Do you have any other sneakily healthy foods or recipes up your sleeve? Always on the lookout for new ways to get some veggies into my little one!

Reactions: cissy

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu