• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddlers Engaged

eternity

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I'm always looking for new ways to keep my toddler entertained at home! We've been trying to set up fun, engaging spaces throughout our house with simple activities he can access independently while I'm busy cooking/cleaning etc., and also some fun things for when we have more time to directly engage together too. Would love to hear others' go-to ideas for keeping their little ones occupied and having fun!

I'll start:
- Ball pit! We have a small inflatable pool that we fill with plastic balls - my son loves jumping in and it keeps him entertained for ages, especially if I join in every now and then.
- Sticker books! My toddler loves putting stickers into the designated spots and peeling them off himself (this one's great for fine motor skills practice too).
- Simple kitchen activities: baking soda and vinegar explosions, making our own play dough, painting with whisked egg whites - all the messier the better!

Some more sensory play ideas:

- Rice or bean bins! My toddler loves digging through these with cups and little toys buried inside. We also hide treasures like coins, little trinkets, or colourful macaroni for him to find.

- Shaving cream fun - it's a hit with most toddlers and great for sensory stimulation. We often set this up in the tub with some food colouring to make it even more exciting!

For independent play, I've also started setting up a few simple "stations" around the house with reusable sticker scenes, which my toddler can access as he wishes. I tape a large sheet of contact paper onto the wall, stick on various themed stickers (e.g. ocean animals, transportation, etc.), and put some related toys nearby for him to act out little scenarios with.

And a classic that never fails - a big cardboard box filled with cushions and blankets, an instant fort! Great for hide-and-seek too.

Love the idea of kitchen activities, especially the vinegar and baking soda explosions - always a winner!

Reactions: chickadee
These are fantastic ideas! Especially love the sticker scenes on contact paper - what a clever way to keep them reusable! And your description of the sensory stations is inspiring me to set up something similar with different themes for my little one.

The shaving cream fun also got me thinking about other sensory play with common household items - like that magic lava soap that foams up so beautifully and colours you can add in too.

Cardboard box forts are the best! Simple, mess-free, and so much fun to decorate and personalise. Mine always enjoyed playing with flashlights and torches inside them too, especially with the lights turned down low. Creating little spaces for them to enjoy really encourages their imagination!

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: luciana and cissy
These are fantastic ideas! Especially love the sticker scenes on contact paper - what a clever way to keep them reusable! And your description of the sensory stations is inspiring me to set up something similar with different themes for my little one.

The shaving cream fun also got me thinking about other sensory play with common household items - like that magic lava soap that foams up so beautifully and colours you can add in too.

Cardboard box forts are the best! Simple, mess-free, and so much fun to decorate and personalise. Mine always enjoyed playing with flashlights and torches inside them too, especially with the lights turned down low. Creating little spaces for them to enjoy really encourages their imagination!
The lava soap is a fantastic idea for sensory play! tot will love the textures and the brightness of colours that you can explore together. Love the idea of incorporating flashlights in the forts too - an easy way to switch up the play without much effort! The little ones are so creative and easily amused 😊

The lava soap is a fantastic idea for sensory play! tot will love the textures and the brightness of colours that you can explore together. Love the idea of incorporating flashlights in the forts too - an easy way to switch up the play without much effort! The little ones are so creative and easily amused 😊
It's wonderful how easily toddlers can be entertained. Their simple yet creative minds never fail to amuse me!

Totally agree - it's captivating to witness their unadulterated enthusiasm and curiosity! The other day, I observed my little cousin playing with a cardboard box, creating this elaborate story of a rocket ship, completely absorbed in his imaginary world. It's incredible how they find wonder in the simplest things.

It's amazing the way their minds work. To them, a cardboard box is just as fascinating and mysterious as a real rocket ship might be to us. Their imaginations know no bounds!

It's amazing the way their minds work. To them, a cardboard box is just as fascinating and mysterious as a real rocket ship might be to us. Their imaginations know no bounds!
Yes! And it's delightful to watch them explore these boundless imaginations. A world of wonder through the eyes of a toddler - what a wonderful perspective to experience life again! There's always so much we can learn from them too 😊

Yes their thoughts are an enigma to us! Toddlers are so imaginative - they see beyond what we see. The cardboard rocket ship sounds so adorable and creative!

The mystery and creativity of a toddler's mindset always manages to blow me away too - their simple yet profound imaginations are a wonder! It's amazing how they can turn a pile of cardboard boxes into an interstellar rocket ship, complete with controls, windows, and fuel boosters! Their playtime is so pure and delightful.

The mystery and creativity of a toddler's mindset always manages to blow me away too - their simple yet profound imaginations are a wonder! It's amazing how they can turn a pile of cardboard boxes into an interstellar rocket ship, complete with controls, windows, and fuel boosters! Their playtime is so pure and delightful.
The way they create elaborate stories and universes out of ordinary objects really showcases their incredible minds' flexibility and creativity. It's a lovely reminder of the importance to cultivate their imaginative skills as they grow up too!

It never ceases to amaze how children have such incredible creativity! They sure do keep their parents and caregivers on their toes with their imaginative requests, ha.

The way they create elaborate stories and universes out of ordinary objects really showcases their incredible minds' flexibility and creativity. It's a lovely reminder of the importance to cultivate their imaginative skills as they grow up too!
You're spot on about cultivating their creative skills! Nurturing their imaginations does them a world of good as it helps develop several key skills, especially independence and problem-solving abilities. Encourage it as often as you can because it'll benefit them greatly down the road, beyond just arts and crafts! The way they think is truly captivating.

It never ceases to amaze how children have such incredible creativity! They sure do keep their parents and caregivers on their toes with their imaginative requests, ha.
it's a delightful challenge to keep up with their creative minds! As they explore these imaginary worlds, it helps us appreciate the simple joys in life too.

it's a delightful challenge to keep up with their creative minds! As they explore these imaginary worlds, it helps us appreciate the simple joys in life too.
It's definitely a challenge keeping up sometimes, but you're right - stepping into their imaginative worlds broadens our perspectives and reminds us of the wonder in the everyday. It's a humbling and fascinating journey, seeing life through their eyes.

It's a beautiful way to view the world, isn't it? Their unfettered imaginations, curiosity, and sense of wonder remind us so poignantly of what it is to simply 'be' and appreciate the here and now. They see magic in the everyday because everything is new and exciting to them. It's an inspiring perspective shift and definitely keeps us on our toes!

• Love
Reactions: nature and bookworm
It really is amazing to witness the sheer curiosity and wonder toddlers approach the world with. Their unjaded perspectives bring a unique depth of richness to everyday moments, reminding us all to slow down and savour the present. Watching them engage and immerse themselves in their play brings such warmth to the heart!

It's so true - the world through a toddler's eyes is an exciting, fascinating and mysterious place full of wonder! They have this incredible ability to find joy in the simplest of things, which we often overlook as we grow up. It's a wonderful reminder to appreciate the small things and slow down to enjoy life's simple pleasures.

So true! Their unbridled excitement and curiosity about everything around them reminds us to pause and appreciate life’s magic. It's almost like they have this special superpower to unlock the gates to a world full of wonder and joy - so endearing to witness.
We could all take a leaf out of their book and embrace the simple pleasures!

So true! Their unbridled excitement and curiosity about everything around them reminds us to pause and appreciate life’s magic. It's almost like they have this special superpower to unlock the gates to a world full of wonder and joy - so endearing to witness.
We could all take a leaf out of their book and embrace the simple pleasures!
You said it! There's so much we can learn from these little people - they're akin to tiny life coaches, isn't it? Their carefree approach to discovering new experiences is truly enviable.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu