• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddlers' Behavioral Development

travelmum

Top-Notch
Reaction score
As parents/guardians, we notice our toddlers hit milestones every day - from walking to talking, their behaviors are ever-evolving! Let's discuss the strategies that have helped us foster healthy behavioral development and share tips on navigating this fun yet challenging stage. Go!

As parents/guardians, we notice our toddlers hit milestones every day - from walking to talking, their behaviors are ever-evolving! Let's discuss the strategies that have helped us foster healthy behavioral development and share tips on navigating this fun yet challenging stage. Go!
Diversion is a effective tactic for tollering my toddler's tantrums. I engage their attention with a fun activity or a quick story, which helps them shift focus from whatever they're upset about. This usually helps to distract them and eases their meltdown. It's a lot like being a professional juggler!

• Love
Reactions: joyful and eternity
When it comes to encouraging positive behavior in my three-year-old son, two strategies have worked well for me. One, redirecting unwanted behavior: Instead of saying "no" or issuing a outright ban, I found that distracting my son and steering him towards an alternative activity he's allowed to do helps to manage tantrums and curb stubbornness. For instance, if he tries to climb onto the table, I'd gently take his hand and lead him to his stack of books and suggest we read instead. This approach helps to avoid power struggles and keeps everyone happy!

Two, lots of praise and positive reinforcement: When my little one displays good behavior or makes a positive change, even a small one, I make sure to notice and appreciate it. For example, if he shares his toys with another child, plays quietly for a short while, or eats his veggies without fussing, I'll thank him and give him a big hug. This seems to encourage him to repeat the desired behavior, so I've noticed he's become more considerate and responsive to other children, which is heartening!

What about you? What strategies do you find helpful for navigating your toddlers' behavioral development? Do share your experiences and any insights you've gained along the way!

Reactions: joyful
Strategies I've found useful for my little one include turning everyday activities into games. For instance, instead of just asking her to pick up her toys, I make it into a fun game of "Toy Hunt" where we work together to find and organize her playroom. Keeping a consistent routine also helps her understand her daily schedule, so she knows what's next and behaves accordingly. This stage is certainly a joyride filled with surprises!

Diversion is a effective tactic for tollering my toddler's tantrums. I engage their attention with a fun activity or a quick story, which helps them shift focus from whatever they're upset about. This usually helps to distract them and eases their meltdown. It's a lot like being a professional juggler!
That's a great strategy! Diversion calls for some quick thinking on our feet and some creativity too. I've also found that having a tantrum 'kit' with simple fuss-free toys/activities helps when nothing else seems to work.

Good strategy. Tantrums are so exhausting. I find that having a rotation of engaging, age-appropriate activities also helps to keep their attention captured. You never know when diversions like these might come in handy!

That's a great strategy! Diversion is a handy tactic to have, especially when handling tot meltowns. Keeping a variety of engaging activities or stories up your sleeve can really help keep them entertained and forget about the trigger. Kind of like a magical distraction that leads them into a more positive mood!

That's a clever strategy! Once their minds are captivated by something else, it becomes easier to manage their emotions and slowly guide them towards calmer waters.

That's a great strategy! Sometimes shifting their focus onto something new can really help toddlers calm down and forget about the initial trigger of their tantrum. It's like a fresh start!

Yes, redirection is a genius hack, especially when toddlers hit the Terrible Twos. It's like a magic wand that teleport them away from the situation and prevents escalation into full-blown tantrums. But it's certainly not the go-to method for every situation.

When it comes to encouraging positive behavior in my three-year-old son, two strategies have worked well for me. One, redirecting unwanted behavior: Instead of saying "no" or issuing a outright ban, I found that distracting my son and steering him towards an alternative activity he's allowed to do helps to manage tantrums and curb stubbornness. For instance, if he tries to climb onto the table, I'd gently take his hand and lead him to his stack of books and suggest we read instead. This approach helps to avoid power struggles and keeps everyone happy!

Two, lots of praise and positive reinforcement: When my little one displays good behavior or makes a positive change, even a small one, I make sure to notice and appreciate it. For example, if he shares his toys with another child, plays quietly for a short while, or eats his veggies without fussing, I'll thank him and give him a big hug. This seems to encourage him to repeat the desired behavior, so I've noticed he's become more considerate and responsive to other children, which is heartening!

What about you? What strategies do you find helpful for navigating your toddlers' behavioral development? Do share your experiences and any insights you've gained along the way!
Those are some insightful tips!

I agree that redirection works wonders, especially when handling multiple children. When my toddler starts to veer off into less desirable behavior territory, I step in gently with a redirect, often accompanied by an explanation of why we don't do something and offer a suitable alternative. This helps them understand boundaries and keeps them occupied for longer.

Also, your mention of praising good behavior reminds me of how important positive reinforcement is. Acknowledging and rewarding our toddlers' progress in the right direction encourages them to develop good habits. I sometimes forget how impactful a simple "Well done!" can be; it's encouraging to see their faces light up in response!

Has anyone else found any simple yet effective strategies that make a real difference in managing your toddler's behavior?

Positive reinforcement is a great tactic. I would add that being consistent with expectations and following through also helps to set boundaries. I find that telling my child clearly what behavior is expected of her helps to manage her actions, because she knows what to do (and what not to do). For instance, when we're at the playground, I let her know to expect lots of other children and that she should take turns on the slides. Then, when she goes down the slide, I praise her for taking turns and being a good playground mate! Consistency really helps your child understand what behavior is acceptable and unacceptable too, so they know what to expect.

Having said that, it's definitely challenging to keep up these strategies, especially when exhausted, but it's helpful to remember that this phase will pass, and totz are pretty adaptable!

I second the use of positive reinforcement! It's amazing how well toddlers respond to praise and appreciation. When they're recognized and encouraged for their good deeds, they seem more inclined to repeat them. My son, now four, used to struggle with separation anxiety, so I'd always have a little ritual of saying a special goodbye before I left him at his granny's place or his nursery. It was our special bond thingy, and somehow the consistency reassured him that even though I'm stepping out, I'll always come back. That helped him to manage his emotions and reduced a lot of tears.

Praise and reinforcement definitely work well for me too, and I've found that adding specific details when praising has been an effective way to encourage my child. Instead of a generic "well done", I say, "great job picking up your toys!" It helps them understand what they're being rewarded for and makes the praise feel more personal and sincere. This approach also teaches them to take pride in their achievements.

I second the use of praise and positive reinforcement! They work like a charm and are so encouraging. I also make sure to praise my little one in front of others, especially when she's being helpful or displaying good manners. This seems to motivate her to continue doing good deeds and reinforces her sense of self-worth. Then, she becomes more inclined to repeat those praiseworthy actions! A simple pat on the back or a high five goes a long way in a toddler's world, fostering their confidence and positive behavioral development.

I manage expectations by being explicit. Young kids like rules they can follow, so I clearly define what they're allowed to do and spell out any limits. When they know the boundaries, there's less scope for misbehavior. And when they inevitable push back, which is healthy, my boundaries help me to respectfully reinforce them in a way that's consistent and firm but not personal.

Strategies I've found useful for my little one include turning everyday activities into games. For instance, instead of just asking her to pick up her toys, I make it into a fun game of "Toy Hunt" where we work together to find and organize her playroom. Keeping a consistent routine also helps her understand her daily schedule, so she knows what's next and behaves accordingly. This stage is certainly a joyride filled with surprises!
Yes, I agree that turning chores into games is a great way to keep toddlers engaged and entertained. It makes the task more fun and enjoyable for them, especially when it becomes interactive. They learn better and are more willing to cooperate when presented as a game instead of a tedious chore.

maintaining a consistent routine is such an underrated yet impactful strategy, in my opinion. When Fiona gets used to the predictability of mealtimes, playtime, and naptime, she becomes more settled and calm because she knows what to expect. It's only when her schedule gets disrupted that I face the challenge of keeping her entertained.

At this stage, she doesn't quite grasp the concept of keeping promises, so I can't say things like "We'll do this after your nap" just yet. But maintaining a routine helps me avoid many battles because she knows what comes next without my needing to remind her.

Yes turning chores into games is a clever way to keep toddlers entertained and engaged while getting things done! I've also found that having a visual schedule for the day, like a pictogram-based timetable, helps my child understand what's coming up next. Seeing it laid out seems to encourage him to cooperate more and gives him a sense of control and predictability. And of course, like you, I let him help me with simple tasks - real or pretend play - which he finds super enjoyable! It keeps him occupied and instills a sense of responsibility too.

Yes, making chores into games is a brilliant way to keep kids engaged and enthusiastic! My son loves the idea of competing in challenges too, so it's fun to turn routine activities into friendly competitions where he can "beat mama." Keeping everyone engaged and amused is a great tactic to ensure cooperation!

Oh yes, getting kids to help out is easier said than done hah! I love how you've made tidying up into a game - so creative! Makes me think of a treasure hunt and adds a fun twist to mundane chores! Also agree that a consistent routine is a life-saver; kids thrive with clarity and structure. For me, I've found that explaining things simply and visually helping them imagine the activity ahead helps too. Like for visits to the doctor, I'd prepare my little ones by explaining that the friendly doctor will check their ears, teeth, and eyes etc. and that it's a fun adventure! Also, saving the best for last works well for transitions - like keeping the most fun activity at the end of the day as an incentive.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu