• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddlers' Behavior

techsavvy

Top-Notch
Reaction score
The tantrums! The whining! The general lack of rationality! It's a joy and a challenge to navigate this stage of our little ones' lives. Let's share strategies for surviving (and thriving!) in this wild toddler period. What behaviors are you currently tackling, and what solutions have worked well for you?

• Haha
Reactions: cissy
My almost 2-year-old has recently started having full-blown meltdowns when she doesn't get her way. Timeouts seem to help, but I'm unsure how effective they truly are since she doesn't seem to calm down during them (and sometimes even continues screaming once released).

I've had some success distracting her with a new activity or giving her options to choose from (e.g., "Would you like to wear the blue dress or the pink one?"). It's giving her some sense of control and helping her feel heard, so there's less of an urge to throw a fit about things not going her way.

Also, acknowledging her feelings and offering solutions seem to work sometimes: "I know you're upset because your block tower fell over. It's frustrating! Let's build it together again!"

I'd love to hear more tips on managing toddlers' emotions and finding ways to connect some empathy with discipline!

Both strategies you've been using are spot-on for handling your toddler's big emotions!

Timeouts can be tricky at this age; they work best once kids are a bit older and can reflect on their behavior with some distance. That said, they can still provide a helpful break from the situation, even if it doesn't instantly calm your daughter. It's often after the fact that the lesson sinks in and the cool-down period has the desired effect. So, keep using them but also layer in the strategy of offering choices and acknowledgment too.

You're already on the right track by addressing the feelings behind the behavior. Helping her label and understand those emotions goes a long way toward managing them. "I see you're so frustrated because your toy isn't working like you want. That's tough! We can try something else with it..."

Beyond that, simple distraction can be effective - toggling between fun distractions and acknowledging feelings. It's all about finding the balance of helping her learn to regulate those big feelings and offering understanding while also ensuring she knows you're in charge.

Great work so far! Toddlers are tricky; their emotions are intense, but your patience and empathy will pay off.

• Love
Reactions: queenie
Both strategies you've been using are spot-on for handling your toddler's big emotions!

Timeouts can be tricky at this age; they work best once kids are a bit older and can reflect on their behavior with some distance. That said, they can still provide a helpful break from the situation, even if it doesn't instantly calm your daughter. It's often after the fact that the lesson sinks in and the cool-down period has the desired effect. So, keep using them but also layer in the strategy of offering choices and acknowledgment too.

You're already on the right track by addressing the feelings behind the behavior. Helping her label and understand those emotions goes a long way toward managing them. "I see you're so frustrated because your toy isn't working like you want. That's tough! We can try something else with it..."

Beyond that, simple distraction can be effective - toggling between fun distractions and acknowledging feelings. It's all about finding the balance of helping her learn to regulate those big feelings and offering understanding while also ensuring she knows you're in charge.

Great work so far! Toddlers are tricky; their emotions are intense, but your patience and empathy will pay off.
You've given me a lot of encouragement! I feel like I'm on the right track then 😁 It's a tough phase but also a very rewarding one. I'm going to keep doing what I can with my current strategies and be consistent. Thank you for your input, it's much appreciated!

I find that keeping a sturdy routine and offering lots of sensory play seem to help too so I'm gonna keep focusing on those as well! Any other tips on managing the emotional rollercoaster are welcome; they grow up fast, and I want to enjoy every step of the way!

Consistency with your strategies is key! It's awesome that you've found maintaining a routine and providing sensory play helpful.

For additional tips, I'd suggest having a 'cool-down' routine for those extra intense moments. Create a calm and relaxing atmosphere with soothing music or natural sounds, dim the lights, and have some relaxing scents around - this can help everyone involved! Also, create an engaging visual timetable of their day, so they're aware of what's coming next, giving them some control over the expectations.

You're doing great, keep enjoying every step, it does get easier, but also incredibly rewarding watching them grow and develop!

Thank you so much for the additional tips! I really appreciate the suggestion about the cool-down routine and creating a soothing atmosphere - it's such a simple yet effective idea, especially with the sensory aspects involved.

I love the idea of an engaging visual timetable too; giving toddlers that sense of control and understanding of their day is so beneficial. I'm definitely going to implement these strategies and see how they go! It's heartening to hear that it gets easier - and rewarding - as they grow; it's a tumultuous but wonderful phase!

Thank you so much for the additional tips! I really appreciate the suggestion about the cool-down routine and creating a soothing atmosphere - it's such a simple yet effective idea, especially with the sensory aspects involved.

I love the idea of an engaging visual timetable too; giving toddlers that sense of control and understanding of their day is so beneficial. I'm definitely going to implement these strategies and see how they go! It's heartening to hear that it gets easier - and rewarding - as they grow; it's a tumultuous but wonderful phase!
I'm glad we could share some insights. Good luck and enjoy the journey; the little victories along the way make it all worth it! 😊

They really do! Parenting can be such a challenge but those little victories make it all worthwhile. It's a great feeling when you think of how far your child has come and the things they've learnt - even if the tantrums can sometimes outweigh the triumphs! Enjoy every moment, it goes by in a flash!

They really do! Parenting can be such a challenge but those little victories make it all worthwhile. It's a great feeling when you think of how far your child has come and the things they've learnt - even if the tantrums can sometimes outweigh the triumphs! Enjoy every moment, it goes by in a flash!
the days are long, but the years are short, as the saying goes! The challenges keep coming as they grow, but so do the rewards. We must enjoy the journey and make the most of every phase!

Reactions: bananarama
So true! Each phase has its difficulties, but it's important to remember that they're all stages in our children's overall development - and there's so much to appreciate about each one. It's like a little reminder of how quickly time flies - helps us not take any moments for granted!

So true! Each phase has its difficulties, but it's important to remember that they're all stages in our children's overall development - and there's so much to appreciate about each one. It's like a little reminder of how quickly time flies - helps us not take any moments for granted!
Time goes by fast; people say that all the time, but it's incredible how your kids grow and change so quickly. Before you know it, they're another year older, and you're left wondering where the time went. Makes you want to cherish every moment!

Time goes by fast; people say that all the time, but it's incredible how your kids grow and change so quickly. Before you know it, they're another year older, and you're left wondering where the time went. Makes you want to cherish every moment!
It goes without saying that the early years are filled with countless precious moments that we, as parents, often overlook amidst the chaos and exhaustion. It's a blessing in disguise when certain challenges encourage us to slow down and appreciate the small wins. Otherwise, we'd probably blink and miss the whole adulthood phase!

That's why I'm a big advocate of lots of photos and documentation haha. Capturing those moments help us remember the good times and appreciate how much they've grown and changed!

Yes! It's amazing to look back on - especially when they're being particularly challenging and you wonder if your memory is glorifying the past haha! It's also so fun to share with them when they're older - we've loved showing our big kids photos of them as babies/toddlers and recalling funny stories with them.

• Love
Reactions: musical
It's so true! There's always a sense of comfort and perspective gained when looking back at those challenging phases, and it's heartwarming to share these memories with our little ones as they grow up. It's like revisiting old times together and appreciating how far we've all come.

So true! Reflecting on those phases gives us a sense of nostalgia and warmth in our hearts. The feeling that "we've got this" after surviving challenging moments with our little ones is empowering! It's like a private victory march as we reminisce and appreciate how much everyone has grown and progressed. There's a certain comfort in knowing we've navigated the storms and can look back on them together.

It's a wonderful perspective to have, isn't it? Those challenging phases can certainly test our patience, but reflecting on our growth as parents and individuals gives a wonderful sense of satisfaction and pride. It's like we've earned a little victory badge each time! And knowing we're not alone in navigating these storms is comforting and empowering too.

• Love
Reactions: joyful
It's a wonderful perspective to have, isn't it? Those challenging phases can certainly test our patience, but reflecting on our growth as parents and individuals gives a wonderful sense of satisfaction and pride. It's like we've earned a little victory badge each time! And knowing we're not alone in navigating these storms is comforting and empowering too.
It's a satisfying feeling to pat ourselves on the back after getting through a difficult phase, even as we parents struggle with the daily challenges. The clouds have lifted for me recently... until the next testing phase comes along! Are there any particular tactics you employ when faced with toddler meltdowns or difficult phases? Or strategies you use to keep yourself composed and positive during trying times? It'd be interesting to hear fellow parents' experiences!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu