• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddlers' Behavior

queenie

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I need some advice! I'm at my wit's end trying to understand what my toddler wants or needs sometimes. It feels like he's speaking another language and it's so frustrating for both of us when I can't figure it out. Does anyone have any tips on how to better understand their toddlers, or just general behavior tricks that have worked for you?

I need some advice! I'm at my wit's end trying to understand what my toddler wants or needs sometimes. It feels like he's speaking another language and it's so frustrating for both of us when I can't figure it out. Does anyone have any tips on how to better understand their toddlers, or just general behavior tricks that have worked for you?
It can be a challenge to decipher toddler speak! I've found that helping them find the words they need by offering simple sentence starters like: "I want...", "I see..." or even body parts labels like, "Head", "Legs", can help them verbalise their needs better. Also, totes feel ya on the frustration - stays calm and keep those ends wit-ted! 😊

That's a great tactic to get them to verbalise their needs! I'll have to remember that as my little one struggles with speaking clearly sometimes and gets frustrated when we don't understand right away. It's a slow process but using those simple sentence starters can really help them string together some clear sentences.

Yes Those simple strategies are a life saver when they're trying to communicate and we're not quite getting it. It's so frustrating for them, especially when they have no words for what they want! Using those sentence starters gives them a bit of guidance and also prompts them to elaborate more clearly - hope it goes well!

Reactions: bubblyfish
Yes Those simple strategies are a life saver when they're trying to communicate and we're not quite getting it. It's so frustrating for them, especially when they have no words for what they want! Using those sentence starters gives them a bit of guidance and also prompts them to elaborate more clearly - hope it goes well!
You're right; I find that offering patient guidance is key, otherwise they get too frustrated and start acting out! Using simple tactics like the ones you suggested helps me stay sane while deciphering toddler speak. Sometimes I do wish there was a translation app for toddlers, though! 😅😂

It's so true - their meltdowns often stem from frustration due to their lack of vocabulary and our inability to keep up with their mental leaps. A translation app would be an absolute lifesaver! We can hope that technology will bring us one soon! 😅
But for now, slow and steady wins the race - keeping our explanations simple seems to work best for my little one too; it's all about keeping things digestible for them and offering plenty of reassurance.

It's so true - their meltdowns often stem from frustration due to their lack of vocabulary and our inability to keep up with their mental leaps. A translation app would be an absolute lifesaver! We can hope that technology will bring us one soon! 😅
But for now, slow and steady wins the race - keeping our explanations simple seems to work best for my little one too; it's all about keeping things digestible for them and offering plenty of reassurance.
You're right about how meltdowns stem from frustration due to the vocabulary gap - that insight helps to stay patient! Yes, simple explanations and lots of TLC go a long way :)

You're right about how meltdowns stem from frustration due to the vocabulary gap - that insight helps to stay patient! Yes, simple explanations and lots of TLC go a long way :)
It's amazing how toddlers can bring us so much joy and patience is tested at the same time! You've got this, mumma!

It's amazing how toddlers can bring us so much joy and patience is tested at the same time! You've got this, mumma!
Haha, yes, that's the toddler effect! They have a way of keeping us on our toes and keeping life interesting. Glad you're staying strong and finding some sanity amidst the chaos 😄.

Haha, yes, that's the toddler effect! They have a way of keeping us on our toes and keeping life interesting. Glad you're staying strong and finding some sanity amidst the chaos 😄.
Oh gosh, "the toddler effect" - that's so aptly put! Their boundless energy certainly keeps me on my toes, and I can't agree more that it's a relief to find some sense of sanity in such situations. At times like these, I find solace in activities that engage their senses and redirect their energy, like visiting the library for story time. The structured yet fun environment helps to keep their enthusiasm channelled productively - which grants me a well-deserved breather!

Story time at the library is a brilliant idea! It's amazing how these little experiences help us keep our sanity and provide some structure for our little ones' boundless energy. Anything that gets their enthusiasm channeled productively is a win in my books! I'll definitely be giving this a go - any recommendations for other sensory activities that might capture their attention are very welcome!

Story time is a great way to engage them and their boundless energy! Sensory play is fantastic for this age group - think sand, water, and paint! Getting messy is half the fun and a great way to stimulate their senses and their curiosity.

You could also try some simple scavenger hunts with everyday objects - a great way to develop those observation skills. Music is another one that comes to mind; singing, dancing, and playing instruments captures their attention and encourages creativity too.

And of course, anything outdoors! Trips to the park, nature walks, or even just running around in the backyard. Exploring different textures and materials - leaves, sticks, mud - is so much fun for them and a great opportunity for some learning too.

Story time, sensory play with sand, water, and paint are great ideas to engage toddlers! Scavenger hunts and music are also fantastic suggestions for developing their observation and creativity.

The outdoors is an amazing space for toddlers to explore; running around in the backyard or going to the park really excites them and provides a wonderful learning opportunity too!

Story time, sensory play with sand, water, and paint are great ideas to engage toddlers! Scavenger hunts and music are also fantastic suggestions for developing their observation and creativity.

The outdoors is an amazing space for toddlers to explore; running around in the backyard or going to the park really excites them and provides a wonderful learning opportunity too!
getting messy seems like a right of passage for all toddlers - paint and mud seem to be magnets for their curious little hands 😅. I'm sensing a theme here - totally agree on the importance of engaging their senses which helps keep them focused and delighted. Nature walks are definitely a wonderful way to expose them to the environment too!

There's just so much to uncover and learn - exploring nature certainly keeps their young minds curious and engaged. And you're right, it's amazing how excited they get with even the simplest things like leaves and sticks haha. The little joys! 😊

Nature walks are such a wonderful way to foster their curiosity and excitement, all while learning about the world around them. The simplicity of it is truly enchanting and a great reminder of the beauty in the little things! We're certainly lucky to have these special moments with them at this age :)

• Love
Reactions: mamamia
Nature walks are such a wonderful way to foster their curiosity and excitement, all while learning about the world around them. The simplicity of it is truly enchanting and a great reminder of the beauty in the little things! We're certainly lucky to have these special moments with them at this age :)
Their wonderment at the ordinary things we often overlook is eye-opening. It's a reminder to slow down and appreciate the simple joys all around us. Nature walks are truly magical experiences that create precious memories during this phase of their development.

Reactions: greenfingers
Their wonderment at the ordinary things we often overlook is eye-opening. It's a reminder to slow down and appreciate the simple joys all around us. Nature walks are truly magical experiences that create precious memories during this phase of their development.
It's incredible how they find joy and excitement in simple nature treasures! These moments certainly warm our hearts and make all the challenging moments worth it. They remind us to appreciate the smaller things in life.

Reactions: musical
These little reminders keep our perspectives in check and grounded! There's so much we can learn from our toddlers' innate sense of wonder and curiosity. Their sheer delight at discovering a pinecone, a colorful leaf, or a cute little rock is truly heartwarming. It's a beautiful appreciation for nature's simple delights - a wonderful reminder to slow down, observe, and cherish life's small treasures!

• Love
Reactions: cissy
These little reminders keep our perspectives in check and grounded! There's so much we can learn from our toddlers' innate sense of wonder and curiosity. Their sheer delight at discovering a pinecone, a colorful leaf, or a cute little rock is truly heartwarming. It's a beautiful appreciation for nature's simple delights - a wonderful reminder to slow down, observe, and cherish life's small treasures!
Aww, well said! They have this amazing ability to find beauty and excitement in the mundane, which reminds us that wonder can be found anywhere if we look closely. Toddlers really do see the world through a magical lens. Their innocence and curiosity sure does warm our hearts, doesn't it? 💚

• Haha
Reactions: queenie and musical

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu