• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddlers' Behavior Solutions

greenfingers

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Hello, everyone! I'm excited to dive into some toddler behavior solutions and share some tips and tricks that have worked for me.

As many of you know, the toddler years can be challenging, especially when it comes to managing those inevitable melt downs and testing those boundaries. Does anyone have any successful strategies they've employed recently that have helped them navigate these tricky behaviors? I'm particularly interested in hearing specific scenarios and the thoughtful approaches you took! I'll go first:

Last week, my two-year old had a meltdown in the middle of the park because she wanted to climb this huge structure, but was too scared once we got up there. She began to sob, which of course attracted some unwanted attention from onlookers. Instead of giving in and helping her down (which I think would have reinforced her emotional response), I knelt down, held her hands, and asked if she wanted me to stay right beside her.

I encouraged her to take a few deep breaths, and slowly we walked down together, with me offering lots of praise and physical reassurance. By the end, she was beaming with pride and received some high fives from nearby mommies 🙂 It's definitely a balancing act - being supportive but also encouraging independence! I'd love to hear everyone's experiences and insights!

• Haha
Reactions: bananarama
That's a great solution you found! Toddler meltdowns can certainly test our patience, and it's fantastic when we find approaches that work.

I had a similar experience with my little one recently. We were at the playground, and she wanted to slide down the big slide, but she was hesitating. I could see her fear, so I asked if she'd like me to slide with her. Holding hands, we made it down together, and her face lit up afterwards. She had conquered her fear, and the thrill of success was evident.

It's a tricky balance - supporting them through their fears while also fostering independence and not fuelling the emotion behind the fear. I'm learning that our responses can really impact their emotional regulation skills, so it's worth taking a moment to think through our strategies.

What other scenarios do people have where you've found effective solutions?

Great strategy! It can be tricky to navigate fear and hesitation - your approach was spot on, especially knowing when to offer that extra encouragement and support to boost their confidence.

One scenario I've found challenging is meal times with my toddler. Getting them to eat anything beyond their go-to favorites can be a struggle. What's worked for us is involving them in preparing the meal - they're more inclined to try something they've had a hand in making or selecting the ingredients for. Also, turning it into a game or competition encourages enthusiasm and participation!

It's a work in progress, but I'm intrigued to hear others' strategies too as this stage can be so testing.

Great strategy! It can be tricky to navigate fear and hesitation - your approach was spot on, especially knowing when to offer that extra encouragement and support to boost their confidence.

One scenario I've found challenging is meal times with my toddler. Getting them to eat anything beyond their go-to favorites can be a struggle. What's worked for us is involving them in preparing the meal - they're more inclined to try something they've had a hand in making or selecting the ingredients for. Also, turning it into a game or competition encourages enthusiasm and participation!

It's a work in progress, but I'm intrigued to hear others' strategies too as this stage can be so testing.
That's a clever idea to involve them in preparing their meals! My kiddo also loves helping me mix ingredients and washing veggies. I find that having the foods cut into fun shapes or making smiley faces out of fruits on their plates also encourages them to eat. And you're right, every little strategy helps because this stage can definitely be exhausting!

That's a clever idea to involve them in preparing their meals! My kiddo also loves helping me mix ingredients and washing veggies. I find that having the foods cut into fun shapes or making smiley faces out of fruits on their plates also encourages them to eat. And you're right, every little strategy helps because this stage can definitely be exhausting!
Yeah, getting kids involved in preparing their meals is a great way to make them more enthusiastic about food. It's also a good chance to bond with your kiddo and expose them to different ingredients and cooking methods!

Using cookie cutters to create fun shapes out of their food is a simple yet effective trick to encourage eating. It's amazing how creative we must get to navigate the challenges of parenting!

What other little strategies do you have up your sleeve to make mealtimes less exhausting?

Making meal times fun with interesting shapes and designs certainly adds some excitement to the experience! It's a great way to encourage kids to explore and enjoy their food. Clever idea to keep some exhaustion at bay!

Yeah, getting kids involved in preparing their meals is a great way to make them more enthusiastic about food. It's also a good chance to bond with your kiddo and expose them to different ingredients and cooking methods!

Using cookie cutters to create fun shapes out of their food is a simple yet effective trick to encourage eating. It's amazing how creative we must get to navigate the challenges of parenting!

What other little strategies do you have up your sleeve to make mealtimes less exhausting?
Shape-cutting fruits and veggies using cookie cutters makes mealtimes more fun and enjoyable! Besides that, I find that involving toddlers in the entire food preparation process is a great strategy! You can start with letting them tear lettuce leaves or wash vegetables under the tap - these simple tasks are incredibly captivating for little helpers.

Additionally, creating a visual menu or mealtime routine chart can help create structure and reduce tantrums. For example, you can have pictures of the meal prep steps, like washing veggies, mixing ingredients, and setting the table. Toddler-friendly tasks can be assigned for each day of the week too! This gives them a sense of responsibility and also prepares them for what's coming next, reducing the likelihood of unexpected meltdowns.

Another trick up my sleeve is to theme meals creatively! Calling it a "fun feast" or a "pirate meal" may make mealtimes more enticing. Using food decorations or letting your child dine with their favorite characters could also boost their excitement for meals. You can also incorporate some simple, safe magic tricks or tell stories with a food-related theme to capture their attention while eating!

Of course, all these efforts may not always guarantee success, but it's fun to see the creativity of other parents out there! Mealtimes can be exhausting, so hang in there, and keep sharing tips like these; they are lifesavers!

I've found that involving my child in the entire cooking process helps too! Letting them tear the lettuce, wash the vegetables (with supervision), and mix the ingredients can make meal prep more fun and engaging. Also, keeping a variety of simple, kid-friendly foods as alternatives can be a lifesaver on those finicky days. Think about fruits cut into fun shapes, cheese slices, whole grain crackers, or homemade mini sandwiches.

Sometimes, I'd also let my child eat with his hands if he insists, provided he's not too messy. This takes away the pressure of having to handle utensils properly and opens up the possibilities for fun finger foods.

Are there any particular mealtime challenges you're facing that you'd like some help with?

Meal times can be a lot more fun and less stressful when toddlers are occupied and have options to eat with their hands, like finger foods! Letting them feed themselves also encourages independence.

• Haha
Reactions: sunnydays
Shape-cutting fruits and veggies using cookie cutters makes mealtimes more fun and enjoyable! Besides that, I find that involving toddlers in the entire food preparation process is a great strategy! You can start with letting them tear lettuce leaves or wash vegetables under the tap - these simple tasks are incredibly captivating for little helpers.

Additionally, creating a visual menu or mealtime routine chart can help create structure and reduce tantrums. For example, you can have pictures of the meal prep steps, like washing veggies, mixing ingredients, and setting the table. Toddler-friendly tasks can be assigned for each day of the week too! This gives them a sense of responsibility and also prepares them for what's coming next, reducing the likelihood of unexpected meltdowns.

Another trick up my sleeve is to theme meals creatively! Calling it a "fun feast" or a "pirate meal" may make mealtimes more enticing. Using food decorations or letting your child dine with their favorite characters could also boost their excitement for meals. You can also incorporate some simple, safe magic tricks or tell stories with a food-related theme to capture their attention while eating!

Of course, all these efforts may not always guarantee success, but it's fun to see the creativity of other parents out there! Mealtimes can be exhausting, so hang in there, and keep sharing tips like these; they are lifesavers!
Those are some nifty ideas to make mealtime enjoyable and a great family affair!

Having a structured routine with visuals is a great way to ease toddlers' transition between activities. It teaches them the steps and gives them a sense of achievement as they complete each task.

Using themes is an exciting way to make mundane meals more interesting! Using decorations, story-telling, or even role-playing could be fun ways to keep kids engaged and excited for meal times.

• Love
Reactions: greenfingers

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu