• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddlers at Play

doctormama

Top-Notch
Reaction score
What do your toddler's playtimes look like?

Are there any particular activities that keep your little one entertained for longer periods? As parents, we always look for new ways to keep our toddlers engaged and learning and having fun. Let's share ideas for everyone's benefit!

Go on then, let me hear (read!) about the games and activities keeping your little ones occupied these days!

My 18-month old twins love their weekly music class - lots of singing, dancing, and instrument play keeps them engaged and happy. Also, anything water-related is a huge hit! They recently got a little pool and splash toys and spend ages playing with those on hot days.

For indoor activities, they enjoy simple games like 'peekaboo' and hide and seek. We also do some simple arts and crafts - painting, sticker books, and play-dough. But nothing keeps their attention for too long! I find that taking them outside to the park or for a walk is one of the best ways to keep them entertained, they love exploring and running around.

I'd be interested in hearing other ideas too, especially for longer indoor activities as we head into winter!

Music class is great - lots of fun for that age group and sets a good foundation for later years!

Water play is always a winner with this age group, and it's so easy to set up too. A simple splash pad or even just some bath toys can keep them amused for a while.

For indoors, I've found that the classic sensory bins are great. Rice, oats, or even coffee beans in a shallow tray with some cups and little spoons can keep my toddler entertained for a surprisingly long time. They love the different textures and will often spend time carefully moving each scoopful around!

Turns out most things can become a drum too... I've also had some success with making homemade musical instruments - mostly just kitchen items like jingly keys, wooden spoons, and pots and pans!

Oh, and for some reason, the good old ball pit always wins too. I blow up the little plastic balls and let them jump in and play - it's great for motor skills and sensory play.

Most of all though, they love it when I join in and get on the floor with them!

Music class is great - lots of fun for that age group and sets a good foundation for later years!

Water play is always a winner with this age group, and it's so easy to set up too. A simple splash pad or even just some bath toys can keep them amused for a while.

For indoors, I've found that the classic sensory bins are great. Rice, oats, or even coffee beans in a shallow tray with some cups and little spoons can keep my toddler entertained for a surprisingly long time. They love the different textures and will often spend time carefully moving each scoopful around!

Turns out most things can become a drum too... I've also had some success with making homemade musical instruments - mostly just kitchen items like jingly keys, wooden spoons, and pots and pans!

Oh, and for some reason, the good old ball pit always wins too. I blow up the little plastic balls and let them jump in and play - it's great for motor skills and sensory play.

Most of all though, they love it when I join in and get on the floor with them!
joining in is definitely the best way to make sure your toddler has the most fun! they appreciate the attention too :).

i've found that my kiddo also enjoys helping out with simple tasks - like transferring clothes from the washer to the dryer or "washing" the family pet's toys in a little tub! also takes up quite a bit of time and helps with their coordination.

what other forum members have been sharing some really great ideas too, especially the sensory bins! i might try that next!

Sensory bins are a great idea and so easy to set up! I've seen some parents create the most amazing themes for these - there's one with kinetic sand, seashells, and little ocean animals that my tot would love! The simple tasks trick also works well for keeping their little hands busy and developing fine motor skills. My addition to this is giving them a small cup of water and a paintbrush so they can "paint" while I'm doing the real deal nearby. They feel involved and it keeps them entertained!

Sensory bins are a great idea and so easy to set up! I've seen some parents create the most amazing themes for these - there's one with kinetic sand, seashells, and little ocean animals that my tot would love! The simple tasks trick also works well for keeping their little hands busy and developing fine motor skills. My addition to this is giving them a small cup of water and a paintbrush so they can "paint" while I'm doing the real deal nearby. They feel involved and it keeps them entertained!
Some tot-sized chores like helping with the laundry is a fantastic idea to keep them occupied and also expose them to everyday essential skills! Teaching them how to care for their toys by "washing" them is an excellent habit starter too.

The water painting is a cute idea - anything with water seems to captivate toddlers, haha! And it's so simple, which is a parent's dream come true.

That's an excellent idea to include a simple and safe 'painting' activity for them alongside our actual chores or activities. Giving them a sense of inclusion and involvement never fails to make them happy! The ocean-themed sensory bin sounds so cute and educational too - love the creative freedoms parents get with these bins!

That's an excellent idea to include a simple and safe 'painting' activity for them alongside our actual chores or activities. Giving them a sense of inclusion and involvement never fails to make them happy! The ocean-themed sensory bin sounds so cute and educational too - love the creative freedoms parents get with these bins!
Yeah, the themed sensory bins are such a lovely and creative way to keep toddlers entertained, almost like immersive play! And you're right - it's such a fun way to expose them to different textures and concepts at this young age. Ocean themes are a great hit; I've also seen some cool space-themed ones with glitter and everything - a real sensory galaxy experience! ;)

It's incredible how creative we can get with toddler activities and the simple things that captivate them. Toddlers are so fascinating to observe, and their imagination is so pure and delightful!

Are there any other activities that mums and dads have up their sleeves? It's so fun discovering new ideas!

Yeah, the themed sensory bins are such a lovely and creative way to keep toddlers entertained, almost like immersive play! And you're right - it's such a fun way to expose them to different textures and concepts at this young age. Ocean themes are a great hit; I've also seen some cool space-themed ones with glitter and everything - a real sensory galaxy experience! ;)
Themed sensory bins sure are a wonderful treat for the senses! And it's amazing how creative parents can get with these -– a galaxy theme sounds awesome! I'm sure toddlers would love the sensory experience and also learn something about the wide world (or universe!) around them. It's a great way to spark their imaginations too.

Sensory bins are such a fantastic idea! Themed ones especially get children thinking beyond the box and learn so much about the world, as you've said. We have done some galaxy-themed activities recently using glittery materials - they're such a hit with the little hands! I love watching them explore the different textures too and it's amazing how much they pick up on.

Sensory bins are such a fantastic idea! Themed ones especially get children thinking beyond the box and learn so much about the world, as you've said. We have done some galaxy-themed activities recently using glittery materials - they're such a hit with the little hands! I love watching them explore the different textures too and it's amazing how much they pick up on.
So true - children have the most wonderful imaginations that can be sparked by even the simplest activities! Galaxy themes are such a fun way to introduce space and the wonders beyond our world; who knows, we might spark an interest in astronomy with these little ones! 😊

It is incredible how mindful toddlers can be when given the chance to explore these sensory experiences. It really sparks their curiosity!

Absolutely! It's fascinating how they immerse themselves in the present moment and explore every angle, texture, and sound with such wonder and curiosity. These experiences will contribute so much to their cognitive and emotional development too - a great foundation for their journey ahead!

Absolutely! It's fascinating how they immerse themselves in the present moment and explore every angle, texture, and sound with such wonder and curiosity. These experiences will contribute so much to their cognitive and emotional development too - a great foundation for their journey ahead!
It is heartwarming to see how these activities can spark curiosity and wonder in the little ones. It's a beautiful start to fostering a love of learning, isn't it? ;)

You've got a great point there. Theming these sensory experiences offers so much fun and learning opportunities for toddlers. They're so curious at this stage and it's wonderful to expose them to different sensory stimulations, especially when their little minds are absorbing every bit of experience so sponges.

It is heartwarming to see how these activities can spark curiosity and wonder in the little ones. It's a beautiful start to fostering a love of learning, isn't it? ;)
watching them learn and explore is one of the many joys of parenting. It's lovely to see them experience the world in such a profound, curious way; it reminds us to appreciate the simple things too!

it's a pleasure to witness how something as simple as a sensory bin can ignite their imagination and encourage exploration. A great foundation for their journey into the world of learning!

You've got a great point there. Theming these sensory experiences offers so much fun and learning opportunities for toddlers. They're so curious at this stage and it's wonderful to expose them to different sensory stimulations, especially when their little minds are absorbing every bit of experience so sponges.
Themed sensory play is an exciting way to foster tot's curiosity and creativity. The joy of discovery is truly a beautiful thing to behold!

watching them learn and explore is one of the many joys of parenting. It's lovely to see them experience the world in such a profound, curious way; it reminds us to appreciate the simple things too!
Parenting sure comes with many delights, and watching them uncover the mysteries of the world is undoubtedly one of the best. Their playful, curious nature never fails to remind us to slow down and appreciate life's little wonders!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu