• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddlers and their tricks

sunnydays

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Many parents agree that toddlerhood is an fascinating phase marked by toddlers' unpredictable nature and their tendency to react unexpectedly. Several parents shared their experiences and tips for managing this stage. One popular strategy is redirection, which involves diverting a child's attention from undesirable situations, such as tantrums in stores, by suggesting exciting alternatives like ice cream or fun activities.

Another successful method is using sticker charts to encourage positive behaviour. The charts are designed for everyday tasks, and children earn stickers for achieving goals. Once the chart is filled, a special reward awaits, fostering a sense of achievement. This technique engages toddlers and keeps them occupied. For older toddlers, more advanced techniques like the Pomodoro method, involving visual time management tools, have worked well.

The book *Time Monster* was frequently mentioned as a great resource for visual tools and effective reward systems that help toddlers understand the concept of time and improve their behaviour. Many parents emphasised the success of visual strategies and how they made abstract concepts like time more tangible for young children. Stickers and reward charts were also voted a win-win by many parents in the group.

The title of this forum is so fitting! Toddlerhood is such a fascinating phase, primarily because of how unpredictable children can be at this stage. They soak up everything around them like little sponges and react in the most unexpected ways. Managing their energy and curiosity can certainly use some tricky tactics from us parents!

What are some of your go-to techniques to navigate the toddler years? Do you have any funny stories of how you defused a potential meltdown or turned a fussy situation around? Let's pool our resources and come up with a list of tips and tricks that we can all refer to when we need some fresh ideas!

• Haha
Reactions: queenie and koala
Redirection is my secret weapon for defusing potential meltdowns! When I see a tantrum brewing, I quickly swoop in with an exciting suggestion or a different activity to change their focus. For example, if they're about to have a meltdown over not getting a toy at the store, I'd say, "Oh look! There's the ice cream shop across the street. Who wants to go get some yummy ice cream?" It redirects their attention and shifts the focus away from the undesirable situation.

Another trick up my sleeve is the good old sticker chart. I create a simple chart with everyday tasks like eating fruits/veggies, keeping their room tidy, or helping with chores. Each time they achieve a task, they get a sticker, and when the chart is filled, we do a special activity - a fun outing or something they enjoy. It encourages positive behaviour and keeps them engaged and occupied!

That's fantastic! I use redirection too, it's amazing how easily their focus can be shifted sometimes. And sticker charts are a great idea - my little one loves anything to do with rewards and achieving goals, so I'll definitely give this a go. Thanks for sharing!

816emVnzg-L._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Great minds think alike! Sticker charts worked wonders for my little one too - and now she's older we've evolved it into a Pomodoro technique-style rewards system which she loves even more

That book is awesome, lots of great ideas I've pinched haha!

Oh that's a fantastic evolution of the sticker chart - love the Pomodoro idea! So cool to watch them grow and change and adapt. My guy is getting so into charts and systems too - it's adorable . I definitely need to check out that book, sounds like a great resource!

The Pomodoro technique has been such a visual, tangible way for her to understand the passing of time - especially because it's so physical and she gets to control moving the stickers herself. I got the book off an OP rec a few months ago and it's great - very easy read with lots of different ideas you can adapt to your parenting style and your kid's personalities. So many great minds here!

• Love
Reactions: bookworm
That's awesome. I've never heard of the Pomodoro technique - off to google it now. Love the idea of a visual way to explain time, especially as my LO is always asking "how many minutes???" whenever we tell her she has to wait for something. Just had a look at the book too, seems great! Love the idea of the reward systems being in there too.

The book has so many great ideas like that! And yes, the Pomodoro method is a fascinating read and something different to try - especially with the visual aspect of it being so appealing to little ones. I think the concept of the 'time monsters' really helps kids visualise and understand the passing of time too which is something we've always struggled with explaining! The reward systems in there are great, simple and effective - we've implemented a few already with some success so that's been encouraging!

• Haha
Reactions: sunnydays
That's fantastic to hear that the book has provided you with some great ideas and that your kids find the time monster concept helpful for understanding the passage of time - it's always tricky explaining that to little ones! It's a simple yet effective visual approach. Glad to hear the reward systems have been working well too, it's always encouraging when you see some success from the offset!

• Love
Reactions: sportytina
It is tricky - I love how the book simplifies it with a visual representation because it's so hard to explain especially to very young children. The concept of time is so abstract but the time monster makes it easier to comprehend and implement strategies around it. We try a sticker chart too which works well for our little one - always nice when you find what works!

That's so true, the concept of time is really tricky to explain to young kids. I love the idea of a sticker chart - and the Time Monster sounds like an excellent visual tool too. Anything that helps them grasp the idea!

Visual tools are a lifesaver! My kids respond so well to charts and pictures, especially when it's something they can actively participate in making. The Time Monster is a new one - I usually go for more of a visual timetable, but I like the idea of a monster that grows throughout the day!

• Haha
Reactions: sunflower
Visual tools are great - we use them all the time! We make pictures of the daily activities and stick them up in order, with a space at the side for the 'all done' stickers - the kids love seeing the day's accomplishments come together! The Time Monster sounds like a fun twist and very creative :)

Reactions: luciana
Visual tools are so helpful - especially with how concrete and literal toddlers can be! I like the space for 'all done' stickers, too - giving that sense of achievement throughout the day :) The Time Monster came as an idea from my toddler actually - she has this fearsome character who comes and eats 'messy time' if you don't finish your tea/get dressed etc, so we started using him as a friendly motivator!

• Love
Reactions: wisdom
That's such a fun idea! Visuals are awesome and I love how you incorporated one of her fears into something helpful and positive - Time Monster sounds pretty scary but also very effective! Stickers always go down a treat too, it seems like a win-win strategy :) Does she get to help pick them out or do you have a special stash?

Time Monster is a concept we came up with to help our little one understand the abstract idea of time, and it has been scary yet exciting for her - especially with all the different powers Time Monster has!

We let her pick the stickers - usually from a selection we have, but occasionally we will buy special ones if they are particularly requested. Stickers are definitely a massive incentive!

That's such a clever idea! Teaching an abstract concept like time must be so tricky, but making it into a game really helps. Using stickers as a reward is definitely a great incentive - seems like an effective strategy you've got going on there!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu