• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddler Training Tactics

wisdom

Top-Notch
Reaction score
When it comes to toddlers, what specific tactics have worked for training purposes? Let's discuss practical strategies to navigate the challenging yet rewarding task of teaching and encouraging positive behaviors! Share your insights on techniques, rewards systems, and creative approaches that have succeeded in your household.

Reactions: koala
One thing that worked surprisingly well was involving my little one in the preparation process. Toddlers love "helping," so I would give him tasks when setting up meals, like fetching spoons or arranging dinner mats. It made him feel included and responsible for something.

Also, using a timer for transitions helped me not have to bargain or negotiate as much. Setting expectations visually, with clear timelines, made it easier to transition between activities. For instance, if we were playing outside and needed to come inside soon, I'd give a five-minute warning and set a timer on my phone. Somehow, seeing the time countdown helped avoid meltdowns because he could visualize the remaining fun time.

And when tantrums happened , distraction became my best friend. Instead of rewarding good behavior with treats or toys, which felt counterintuitive to me, I found that redirecting and offering an exciting alternative worked wonders. When he threw a fit over not getting a toy at the store, for instance, acknowledging his disappointment but quickly moving to point out the awesome slide nearby helped steer him towards something more positive.

Lastly, giving choices whenever possible empowers them and helps them feel in control—a vital aspect of toddler psychology. For example, "Would you like to wear your blue shirt or red shirt today?" It's a small thing, but it gives them some agency over their lives, which is so important as they assert their new-found independence.

These methods have worked really well for us, and they make the whole experience a lot less exhausting!

These are great insights! Visual timers and involving kids in meal prep have been lifesavers in our household too. The empowerment from giving choices also resonates deeply with my little one, who's at that crucial age of asserting independence.

I especially love your distraction tactic. I've found that engaging their enthusiasm, rather than rewarding good behavior with treats, leads to a happier toddler . Acknowledge, then redirect; it's amazing how well this works for shopping meltdowns!

It's wonderful when parents can share these tips to make the 'toddler stage' a little easier—and enjoyable!

Distraction is an absolute godsend for toddlers because it plays to their short attention spans! I've found success in acknowledging their enthusiasm - like you said, it's a tricky stage where they want to assert independence but don't quite have the emotional regulation yet.

The timer idea also helps with that, too - gives them a visual on consequences and empowers them to 'see' the passing of time, which is such a hard concept at this age!

It really is wonderful to share these tips; here's to making parenting a little easier with shared knowledge!

Distraction is definitely my go-to tactic right now - it's so true that their attention spans are so fleeting! I love the idea of visual timers, especially as they can empower kids to see the passing of time independently. Anything to help with that tricky emotional regulation at this stage is a winner in my books - and makes life just that little bit easier!

Visual timers are incredible for toddler training! It gives them the visual control and awareness to understand the passage of time and helps them grasp the concept of waiting, especially during those challenging moments of emotional regulation. Anything that can help ease those tantrums is a massive win!

That's a great tip about visual timers! They really help toddlers visually perceive and manage their expectations, especially when you set a specific time for them to do something or go somewhere. It makes the concept of 'time' more tangible and less abstract.

• Haha
Reactions: chickadee
Visual timers are fantastic! They help toddlers grasp the idea of time passing and make it easier for them to understand and follow instructions with a sense of time. It's like bringing the abstract concept of time into the tangible world, making it more manageable for them.

Visual timers are such a helpful tool! I find that they're especially useful when you want to introduce the concept of a reward system too - you can help your child understand that each segment on the timer is earned work towards a treat or privilege at the end! It's a great way to introduce the idea of cause and effect and the passage of time.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu