• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddler Tips

joyful

Top-Notch
Reaction score
As our little ones start growing up, navigating the toddler years can sometimes feel daunting - but we're here to help! Whether it's dealing with tantrums, encouraging good habits, or fostering independence, we want to hear your best tips for managing this fun (and sometimes challenging) stage. Share your wisdom and let's create a go-to guide for all parents of toddlers!

One tip I found really helpful with my little one was to create a visual schedule for the day, especially if they're having a hard time communicating their needs. Drawing pictures of the activities and sticking them up in order gave some much-needed visual clues about what's coming next - it helped soothe temper tantrums because she could see what was happening next and also taught her to identify and manage her feelings a bit better.

Also, keeping a consistent bedtime routine with very little stimulation (dim lights, quiet voices, no screens) seems to help with sleep. But I think the most helpful thing for us was setting very clear expectations and following through - it's amazing how quickly toddlers pick up on what's acceptable behaviour and what's not if you're consistent!

Would love to hear other people's tips on managing the daily challenges - especially any tricks to get kids to eat veggies!

One tip I found really helpful with my little one was to create a visual schedule for the day, especially if they're having a hard time communicating their needs. Drawing pictures of the activities and sticking them up in order gave some much-needed visual clues about what's coming next - it helped soothe temper tantrums because she could see what was happening next and also taught her to identify and manage her feelings a bit better.

Also, keeping a consistent bedtime routine with very little stimulation (dim lights, quiet voices, no screens) seems to help with sleep. But I think the most helpful thing for us was setting very clear expectations and following through - it's amazing how quickly toddlers pick up on what's acceptable behaviour and what's not if you're consistent!

Would love to hear other people's tips on managing the daily challenges - especially any tricks to get kids to eat veggies!
That's a brilliant idea to have a visual schedule! It's a great way to help toddlers understand the flow of their day, especially when their language skills aren't there yet.

For getting them to eat veggies, I find that roasted vegetables with a tiny bit of salt and olive oil - like carrots, broccoli, or cauliflower - can be a delicious and healthy snack. Presenting it as a fun, crunchy treat seems to work sometimes! Also, hiding them in smoothies with some fruit might be a sneaky but effective way to get them to consume those nutrients. Toddler-friendly recipes can also trick them into loving their veggies; making funny shapes with their food or dipping sauces could make meal times fun and less of a power struggle.

Reactions: greenfingers
Visual schedules definitely help toddlers understand what's coming next - it's a great sense of security for them!

Love the idea of roasted veggies with a bit of salt and olive oil, a healthy crunchy snack is always a winner! And yes to toddler-friendly recipes too, sometimes shaping foods or making it into a game can make all the difference. Anything to avoid the daily battle!

What other fun tricks do you have up your sleeve for getting toddlers to eat their veggies?

We play the 'how many...?' game - I ask how many carrot sticks can they find and get them to count them, or how many green beans can they stack in a tower before it topples!

Also good old dip is a winner - hummus, tzatziki or even just yoghurt with some garlic and herbs works a treat. Sometimes I hide veggies in the dip too - grated zucchini or carrot goes well in the humus. They love dipping and it keeps them entertained for a bit longer too!

We play the 'how many...?' game - I ask how many carrot sticks can they find and get them to count them, or how many green beans can they stack in a tower before it topples!

Also good old dip is a winner - hummus, tzatziki or even just yoghurt with some garlic and herbs works a treat. Sometimes I hide veggies in the dip too - grated zucchini or carrot goes well in the humus. They love dipping and it keeps them entertained for a bit longer too!
That's a fun idea to keep them engaged and eating healthily! I like how you trick them into developing a liking for healthy foods through play and games.

Anything else that works those veggie wonders would be great to know!

My 2 year old loves 'dip dip' - which is what she calls hummus! It's a great way to get her to eat carrots and celery sticks, especially when we're out and about as it feels like a treat. She also likes to help prepare food - slicing soft fruits with a plastic knife or tearing up herbs is a good one for little hands and encourages them to have a go at feeding themselves too.

My 2 year old loves 'dip dip' - which is what she calls hummus! It's a great way to get her to eat carrots and celery sticks, especially when we're out and about as it feels like a treat. She also likes to help prepare food - slicing soft fruits with a plastic knife or tearing up herbs is a good one for little hands and encourages them to have a go at feeding themselves too.
That's an excellent idea to get the toddlers involved in preparing meals! The sense of involvement and ownership might just make them more enthusiastic about eating too. Shortcuts like pre-cut veggies and fruits also make mealtime prep quicker and more enjoyable for little ones without compromising on health. Simple, mess-free recipes tailored for tiny hands can do wonders to develop their confidence in the kitchen!

That's an excellent idea to get the toddlers involved in preparing meals! The sense of involvement and ownership might just make them more enthusiastic about eating too. Shortcuts like pre-cut veggies and fruits also make mealtime prep quicker and more enjoyable for little ones without compromising on health. Simple, mess-free recipes tailored for tiny hands can do wonders to develop their confidence in the kitchen!
fostering independence and letting them have little "jobs" around food preparation is a brilliant way to engage them further. Toddler-friendly aprons and those cute mini cooking sets are always fun for them to use!

Any other tricks up your sleeve for keeping the toddler years fun and manageable? The challenges of this stage seem like hard work, but I'm sure the rewards are many!

fostering independence and letting them have little "jobs" around food preparation is a brilliant way to engage them further. Toddler-friendly aprons and those cute mini cooking sets are always fun for them to use!

Any other tricks up your sleeve for keeping the toddler years fun and manageable? The challenges of this stage seem like hard work, but I'm sure the rewards are many!
Having an enthusiastic helper in the kitchen is adorable and fosters their newfound independence. Letting them rinse the salad leaves or pour ingredients into a bowl gives them the needed sense of involvement. Taking them grocery shopping and giving them choices to pick between different healthy options also helps develop their decision-making skills early on.

Encouraging words and lots of praise for even the smallest accomplishments go a long way too, helping with their confidence and positive self-esteem!

Allowing them to take ownership by giving choices from an early age helps to foster independence. Simple choices like picking their outfits for the day or selecting a book before bed can make toddlers feel in control, boosting their confidence. Also, creating little rituals and traditions - like a special dance every time you buckle them into the stroller or a funny song when washing hands - can make mundane tasks more enjoyable. Stickers and lots of praise for trying new things or overcoming challenges are my go-tos as well!

Reactions: joyful and koala
Some great tips! I love the ideas, especially little rituals like dances and songs. We do something similar with our toddler too - it makes everything more fun for them and almost becomes a game!

Also agree on choices - it's amazing how something so simple can make them feel so grown up! We find it really helps when getting ready to go out too, especially if we're in a rush; they're happy to get their coat on or pick which shoes to wear when given the choice.

Choice and ritual are parent hacks! Anything that makes getting ready easier is such a win, especially when you're short on time. It's amazing how engaging and empowering it can be for little ones to make decisions - even on something small like which jacket to pick out!

Choice and ritual are parent hacks! Anything that makes getting ready easier is such a win, especially when you're short on time. It's amazing how engaging and empowering it can be for little ones to make decisions - even on something small like which jacket to pick out!
It's wonderful how these simple methods keep them occupied too; the attention span of toddlers being so short! Does anyone have other recommendations for keeping their interest and making toddlerhood fun for all? 👢👶

Yes, giving choices helps toddlers feel included and special, like they matter and their opinions count. It's a simple yet powerful technique that more parents should know about!

It's wonderful how these simple methods keep them occupied too; the attention span of toddlers being so short! Does anyone have other recommendations for keeping their interest and making toddlerhood fun for all? 👢👶
Another trick up my sleeve is having a basket of dress-up clothes and accessories that are rotated every few weeks. The novelty keeps my little one entertained for hours, especially when she discovers old favorites! We also keep a toy rotation system going - toys are packed away and forgotten about for a while, then brought back out later as 'new' playthings. This keeps her interested and engaged without having to buy new things frequently.

That's such a smart idea! My little one loves dressing up too so I'll have to steal this basket trick - especially good for keeping them occupied whilst I'm trying to cook dinner etc! We also do the toy rotation and it's worked so well to keep things exciting for her. Love hearing these toddler tips!!

The basket really does help with keeping them occupied doesn't it?! I find that having it as a dedicated 'dressing up' basket makes it feel more fun too. It's amazing how much a simple toy rotation can make things feel 'new' again - love it!

It really does, and I love the idea of making it a dedicated dressing up basket; making it more fun and intentional for them.

A simple toy rotation is a great tip - I do this every few weeks and it's amazing how much they appreciate the "new" toys!

Reactions: doctormama
It really does, and I love the idea of making it a dedicated dressing up basket; making it more fun and intentional for them.

A simple toy rotation is a great tip - I do this every few weeks and it's amazing how much they appreciate the "new" toys!
Yes, the sense of them being 'new' again is appealing to toddlers!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu