• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddler Taming

bananarama

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Share your strategies on how you keep your cool and effectively manage your toddler's behavior! What works best for redirecting their energy, positive reinforcement, or time-outs? Let's discuss!

• Haha
Reactions: queenie and cissy
For us, it's all about distraction and redirection! When we see a tantrum brewing or my kiddo getting worked up, we quickly shift their attention to something else - preferably an activity they can focus on and get some of that excess energy out.

We also find that positive reinforcement goes a long way. Lots of praise when he does something good or makes a good choice helps to redirect him and encourages him to keep doing it. We use a lot of phrases like, "Wow! You're really being so helpful/patient/kind!" It seems to help remind him of his good qualities and redirects him towards those behaviours.

What other tactics do you use?

Distraction is a great strategy! My little one is also very responsive to praise and positive reinforcement - it's amazing how just a bit of encouragement can redirect their focus. We also try giving choices when possible, especially when she's throwing a mild tantrum; for example offering two options for an activity or snack helps her feel in control, which calms her down. And of course there's the classic 'break' strategy - sometimes a quick breather and change of scenery is all it takes!

• Love
Reactions: luciana
Great tips! Distraction works wonders, especially when followed up with praise. It's amazing how a little encouragement goes such a long way towards refocusing their energy and keeping them engaged.

offering choices is a fantastic strategy too; giving them some control while also offering you some wiggle room to steer the situation.

And yes! A quick break and change of scene is often all that's needed sometimes - it's amazing how perceptive little ones are to their environments in terms of calming or escalating situations!

Great tips! Distraction works wonders, especially when followed up with praise. It's amazing how a little encouragement goes such a long way towards refocusing their energy and keeping them engaged.

offering choices is a fantastic strategy too; giving them some control while also offering you some wiggle room to steer the situation.

And yes! A quick break and change of scene is often all that's needed sometimes - it's amazing how perceptive little ones are to their environments in terms of calming or escalating situations!
You're right about their environmental perception, it's almost like they have a sixth sense for knowing whether the environment is calming or not! Offered choices certainly help to give them a sense of autonomy which redirects them away from negative behaviours. Does anyone else use apps or technology as a break option? I've found that educational games or videos can provide a welcome diversion on tricky days! But I wonder if there are side effects that come with relying on these distractions..

Reactions: wisdom
I think apps and technology can be a great tool, especially for when you need a quick solution to buy yourself some time! I use them occasionally but try not to rely on them too much - I don't want my toddler becoming overly dependent or expecting it as the norm. However, on those tricky days, it's definitely nice to have a digital distraction up your sleeve!

Reactions: wisdom
I think apps and technology can be a great tool, especially for when you need a quick solution to buy yourself some time! I use them occasionally but try not to rely on them too much - I don't want my toddler becoming overly dependent or expecting it as the norm. However, on those tricky days, it's definitely nice to have a digital distraction up your sleeve!
Yes, I agree with you. Relying on apps and technology could potentially create an expectation, and it's tricky to manage that balance between dependence and independence. But hey, whatever works sometimes, right? It's good to have a backup strategy and a variety of options to switch things up!

I'm interested to hear if any other moms have some high-tech solutions we could incorporate wisely!

Absolutely! My go-to is putting on an educational documentary or YouTube video on the iPad when I need time to prep dinner or finish up some work. My kid enjoys them and I feel good about the content - it's a win-win! I try to keep it reserved for special occasions only though so that it remains novel, but it definitely comes in handy having this little trick up my sleeve. Would love to hear other mums' techy tips too!

I let my son watch his favourite songs on YouTube too, mainly nursery rhymes and kid-friendly music. He loves it and I get to cook or quickly clean up. I also got him a floor piano which he plays with while still watching the videos - keeps him entertained longer! Sometimes I catch him just dancing along, which is adorable. I agree that limiting screen time makes it more effective when you need some time for work/chores!

That's a smart way to make screen time interactive and engaging. Providing an activity along with something he enjoys visually keeps him occupied longer, and I'm sure it's adorable to watch him dance along! It's great when we can incorporate physical movement with technology in a fun way.

It's all about keeping up with their energy and matching their enthusiasm! Making toddler time interactive and fun teaches them so many things too, like the movements and actions. It's a win-win when it comes to keeping them entertained while also stimulating their little minds.

It's all about keeping up with their energy and matching their enthusiasm! Making toddler time interactive and fun teaches them so many things too, like the movements and actions. It's a win-win when it comes to keeping them entertained while also stimulating their little minds.
The key is definitely matching their energy - which can be exhausting but so rewarding at the same time! You've gotta appreciate their enthusiasm and curious minds, and find ways to direct all that energy productively. Keeps us moms on our toes!

It's a relentless exhaustion, but you've hit the nail on the head - their enthusiasm makes it so worthwhile! I find taking them out for some outdoor time helps channel all that pent up energy, and I get a breather too! Toddler classes are fun because they wear them out AND give us Mums some company. Win win!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu