• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddler Taming Tactics

sunnydays

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Share your tried-and-true methods for keeping your cool when your toddler's behavior pushes every one of your buttons. What deescalation techniques work best for you? Let's pool our resources and brainstorm some fresh ideas!

• Love
Reactions: sunflower
Share your tried-and-true methods for keeping your cool when your toddler's behavior pushes every one of your buttons. What deescalation techniques work best for you? Let's pool our resources and brainstorm some fresh ideas!
Toddlers can really test our patience, but I've found a few strategies that help me keep my cool:

1. Deep breathing: Taking slow, deep breaths helps me calm down when my daughter's meltdowns start. I try to regulate my own breathing first, which somehow creates a calming effect on her too. It buys me some time to think and responds in a way that doesn't escalate the situation.

2. Distraction: Redirecting her attention to something else often helps. I'll ask her to help me with simple tasks like fetching tissues or finding her favorite toy hidden somewhere. Her focus shifts quickly, and the intense moment passes.

3. Acknowledgement: I make sure to acknowledge her feelings, especially when she's upset about something. I'll say something like, "I know you're upset because your cookie broke. It's frustrating when things don't go our way." This simple act somehow validates her emotions, and she's more willing to listen to my suggestions afterward.

4. Offer choices: Giving her a sense of control works surprisingly well. For instance, if she's throwing a tantrum about what to wear, I'll offer two reasonable options and ask her to choose. "Would you like to wear your pink or blue dress today?" This diffuses the situation as she feels empowered to make the decision.

5. Timers: When she needs some extra encouragement to finish an activity (like leaving the playground), I use a timer as a visual cue. Setting up expectations helps ease her into the transition and reduces resistance.

I also find that being consistent with my reactions makes a difference. My daughter knows what to expect when she encounters certain situations, which minimizes meltdowns because the routine is predictable.

What about you guys? What strategies do you use to keep calm and manage those tricky toddler moments?

I keep calm because I've learned to pick my battles with my energetic toddlers. Toddlers will be toddlers; they're curious, adventurous, and full of beans, which often tests my patience.

My go-to deescalation technique is to distract and redirect. For example, if they start a full-blown tantrum because I won't let them eat cookie dough for breakfast, I'll divert their attention by asking if they'd like to help me prepare some fruit instead, or suggest we go out for a walk and spot birds. Most of the time, getting them engaged in another activity helps them forget about the meltdown trigger and saves face.

I also make sure to give plenty of physical affection, especially if they're seeking attention. A big squeeze and some cuddles usually help ease the situation and show that despite our differences, my love remains steadfast.

If all else fails, I employ the "mommy's time out" tactic where I remove myself from the situation momentarily. It's better for me to take a breather and refocus my energies than to say or do something I might regret in the heat of the moment. This also demonstrates the concept of cool-down time to my toddlers and hopefully, they'll learn this useful life skill too.

I'm all ears for more suggestions!

You've got some great tactics there!

I especially love the 'mommy's time out' idea - it's so important to model calm behaviours and teach them it's okay to take a break when emotions run high.

My addition to your toolkit is playing the 'Name That Sound' game. When my little one is in a frisky mood and starting to veer into hyper-land, I make a funny sound - like a pig oinking, or a robot noise - and ask her to guess what's making that noise.

It often brings an immediate halt to the escalating madness and switches their focus onto something fun and silly. It can be done anywhere too, which is handy when distractions are minimal.

Kids love some mystery and silliness! And it's a good way to reset and reconnect.

You've got some great tactics there!

I especially love the 'mommy's time out' idea - it's so important to model calm behaviours and teach them it's okay to take a break when emotions run high.

My addition to your toolkit is playing the 'Name That Sound' game. When my little one is in a frisky mood and starting to veer into hyper-land, I make a funny sound - like a pig oinking, or a robot noise - and ask her to guess what's making that noise.

It often brings an immediate halt to the escalating madness and switches their focus onto something fun and silly. It can be done anywhere too, which is handy when distractions are minimal.

Kids love some mystery and silliness! And it's a good way to reset and reconnect.
That's a clever trick! Toddlers are so unpredictable; it's encouraging to have a repertoire of tricks up our sleeves!

Having a toolkit of various tactics is definitely helpful as a parent! You never know what's going to work from one day to the next with little ones, so it's good to be prepared with a variety of options!

• Love
Reactions: joyful
Having a toolkit of various tactics is definitely helpful as a parent! You never know what's going to work from one day to the next with little ones, so it's good to be prepared with a variety of options!
It's true! They say toddlers are like tiny dictators and that their preferences can change as frequently as the wind blows. As parents, we certainly have to be adaptable!

you have to stay one step ahead of these adorable little troublemakers! Keep the tips coming - it's a great resource for all parents!

you have to stay one step ahead of these adorable little troublemakers! Keep the tips coming - it's a great resource for all parents!
It definitely takes some mental agility and quick thinking to keep up with our curious toddlers! Happy to contribute to this useful forum. Looking forward to more shared insights! ;)

It's so great to have a hub of ideas and strategies, especially given how fast our little people grow and change. I've found that being proactive is often key - anticipating their needs/wants and having some distractions up my sleeve for those inevitable meltdown moments has helped me keep my cool and avoid many tantrums! Also the old distraction technique - sometimes a bit of misdirection can save the day! Would love to hear others' go-to strategies too.

Being proactive is a fantastic tactic and one that I've also found success with. It's amazing how quickly things can escalate, so being a step ahead with some distractions ready really helps! Misdirection is an art - but a valuable one when it comes to toddler taming. It's amazing how easily their focus can be redirected, and often a simple change of scenery or subject will do the trick.
I also find giving them choices helps - it gives a sense of control and reduces the likelihood of meltdowns. Of course, it has to be done skillfully sometimes, offering choices that are ultimately leading to the same outcome! But it's amazing how empowering it can be for them to feel they have some agency, even at such a young age.
What other sneaky tactics do we have up our sleeves?

Being proactive is a fantastic tactic and one that I've also found success with. It's amazing how quickly things can escalate, so being a step ahead with some distractions ready really helps! Misdirection is an art - but a valuable one when it comes to toddler taming. It's amazing how easily their focus can be redirected, and often a simple change of scenery or subject will do the trick.
I also find giving them choices helps - it gives a sense of control and reduces the likelihood of meltdowns. Of course, it has to be done skillfully sometimes, offering choices that are ultimately leading to the same outcome! But it's amazing how empowering it can be for them to feel they have some agency, even at such a young age.
That's true, providing choices empowers them with a sense of autonomy which hopefully helps in the long run too!

My little distraction technique is pulling out random objects from my bag or purse when we're out and about - a tissue, lip balm, anything somewhat novel and unexpected. It's amazing how a simple object can grab their attention and buy you some peace! I make sure to speak in a hushed and mysterious tone too, to really sell the moment.

I'm all ears for more sneaky yet wholesome tactics!

I agree that giving choices empowers toddlers, prepared within safety boundaries, of course.

I call myself the "Queen of Distractions," adept at redirecting my toddler's attention with random questions or statements. A surefire way to shift focus is by pointing out something exciting, like spotting a squirrel or bird near us. I also keep a stash of "emergency treats" in my bag for extreme circumstances - a sweet treat can instantly transform a meltdown into a joyful dance! Not ideal to rely on this often, but it's my secret weapon when all else fails!

Another strategy is using roleplay, where we pretend to be superheroes or characters that embody the virtues I wish to instill in her. For instance, "Wonder Mom" would always respond to frustration with calmness and patience! Toddler becomes my sidekick, embracing the fictional scenario and usually calming down as we go on a make-believe adventure. This often helps her reflect on the situation too and see the lighter side of things.

I'm interested to hear if anyone has successfully implemented reward systems, as I've had mixed results with these and would love some fresh ideas!

The roleplay idea is genius! It's a fun way to engage and redirect their focus while also teaching valuable lessons.

I've had success with a simple reward system involving a visual chart. My toddler loves seeing his name written and getting to add stickers next to each completed task. We make it into a game where he gets to place the sticker and trace over the words, which he thinks is hilarious! It also helps with learning his name and letters, so it's an added bonus.

We keep it simple: one sticker for each day he remembers to use manners, and extra stickers for exceptional behaviour or listening. Then, at the end of the week, we tally up the stickers and he gets a small prize - a new book or a trip to the park. We make a big deal out of it, and he loves the routine and anticipation!

It's not perfect, some days he still has meltdowns, but overall, it's helped us immensely and taught him some independence too. He's now understanding what behaviour is expected of him and gets excited about his "special chart." I think the key is making it a fun routine and keeping it straightforward.

That's a clever trick! Keeping it simple yet fun sounds like the way to go - toddlers seem to love their routines! Making it into a game is so smart, especially when it encourages and excites him to behave.

The visual aspect of seeing stickers next to their name is bound to be engaging; I can see how it would give them a sense of achievement too, especially when they get to participate in the sticker-placing ceremony! Using it as an opportunity to teach them letters and their name is a great added bonus.

It's wonderful to hear how your tactic has given him an understanding of expected behaviours - and kudos to you for finding a fun way to encourage independence too. Anything that gets them engaged and excited about learning manners is a win in my books!

I think we as parents naturally gravitate towards what works, and fortunately for me, this tactic has worked a treat! He loves his stickers and gets such a kick out of placing them on the chart, so much so, that I sometimes have to remind him that sticker time is over for the day - ha! Using the sticker chart has been an unexpected but wonderful way to teach him about his ABCs too. And you're right, it's fabulous for encouraging independence and understanding what's expected of him; he has such a sense of achievement when he gets a new sticker and understands the praise that comes with it. We're definitely enjoying this phase!

I think we as parents naturally gravitate towards what works, and fortunately for me, this tactic has worked a treat! He loves his stickers and gets such a kick out of placing them on the chart, so much so, that I sometimes have to remind him that sticker time is over for the day - ha! Using the sticker chart has been an unexpected but wonderful way to teach him about his ABCs too. And you're right, it's fabulous for encouraging independence and understanding what's expected of him; he has such a sense of achievement when he gets a new sticker and understands the praise that comes with it. We're definitely enjoying this phase!
It sounds like your sticker strategy is going incredibly well, stickers can truly be an effective way to capture their attention and reinforce positive behaviors! Well done for finding a fantastic method that works for your little one. :)

It's fantastic to have found a positive and engaging way to encourage good behaviour. That's great to hear!

The little things we do sometimes make such a huge difference, don't they? What has worked well for you? Any specific strategies you've found successful?

• Haha
Reactions: wisdom
Some great points! I've found success with the little things like distraction - turning meltdowns into a fun game or activity, especially in public; and also making sure to give lots of advance warning when we have to leave the park or see the doctor so it's not a shock to their system. Also giving choices helps my toddler feel empowered and lets her take some control - e.g. do you want to wear the red shirt or blue shirt today? Then she feels involved and less likely to rebel.

Reactions: stargazer

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu