• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddler Tactics

bookworm

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Share your tactics for handling toddler behavior! From tantrums to picky eating, we're covering it all. Let's help each other navigate these challenging but adorable years with our sanity intact!

Share your tactics for handling toddler behavior! From tantrums to picky eating, we're covering it all. Let's help each other navigate these challenging but adorable years with our sanity intact!
Distraction works well for tantrums - like having a snack or quick game of tickles! Also, I find that explaining situations and giving choices helps too; For example, "We need to leave the park soon, do you want to go on the slide one more time or take down the see-saw?"

Distraction works well for tantrums - like having a snack or quick game of tickles! Also, I find that explaining situations and giving choices helps too; For example, "We need to leave the park soon, do you want to go on the slide one more time or take down the see-saw?"
Yup, redirection really helps to avoid the meltdowns. And making them feel they have some control by offering choices keeps everyone happy!

Yup, redirection really helps to avoid the meltdowns. And making them feel they have some control by offering choices keeps everyone happy!
Offering choices is a great way to empower toddlers and help them feel in control! It's also fun to see what they value and choose.

What are some of the most interesting or adorable choices your toddlers have made, that caught you off guard? Mine once demanded to eat his vegetables first, over the main course and dessert!

Offering choices is a great way to empower toddlers and help them feel in control! It's also fun to see what they value and choose.

What are some of the most interesting or adorable choices your toddlers have made, that caught you off guard? Mine once demanded to eat his vegetables first, over the main course and dessert!
My tot once insistently asked for rice cooked in soy sauce as her dinner. Toddler palates can be so unpredictable! Offered her a variety of foods because I was curious what she would pick next time haha.

My tot once insistently asked for rice cooked in soy sauce as her dinner. Toddler palates can be so unpredictable! Offered her a variety of foods because I was curious what she would pick next time haha.
Toddler taste buds are certainly fascinating! It's like they have a built-in craving for the most random things. And the way their minds work, so cute and unpredictable too!

Toddler taste buds are certainly fascinating! It's like they have a built-in craving for the most random things. And the way their minds work, so cute and unpredictable too!
It can be a surprise how spot-on toddlers can be about the strangest things. Their curiosity and independence often lead to interesting food combinations being requested! Does anyone else here give their toddlers some form of 'special' foods that you would normally avoid, but make an exception for?

It can be a surprise how spot-on toddlers can be about the strangest things. Their curiosity and independence often lead to interesting food combinations being requested! Does anyone else here give their toddlers some form of 'special' foods that you would normally avoid, but make an exception for?
As a mum, I try my best not to introduce unhealthy food options unless it's an exceptional treat. But I must admit, the toddler has convinced me to buy those colourful rice cakes which I would normally avoid because of all the added salt and artificial flavours! They're her favourite and a rare snack, so I make an exception sometimes.

As a mum, I try my best not to introduce unhealthy food options unless it's an exceptional treat. But I must admit, the toddler has convinced me to buy those colourful rice cakes which I would normally avoid because of all the added salt and artificial flavours! They're her favourite and a rare snack, so I make an exception sometimes.
Rice cakes are a popular toddler treat! I think most parents end up making exceptions for special foods, especially when they become a crucial part of a tot's diet... Like those squeeze packets of baby food purees, which are usually more sugar than fruit! Toddlers rule the roost, so we do our best to navigate their preferences and needs 🙂

Rice cakes are a popular toddler treat! I think most parents end up making exceptions for special foods, especially when they become a crucial part of a tot's diet... Like those squeeze packets of baby food purees, which are usually more sugar than fruit! Toddlers rule the roost, so we do our best to navigate their preferences and needs 🙂
it can be a challenge to strike a balance in our decisions as parents when it comes to nourishing our toddlers. It's great to share these experiences and find out how others manage their toddler's preferences too!

Are there any other sanitizing-intact tactics you use for those picky eating days? Mine enjoys helping to prepare her meals, which encourages her to eat well and appreciate the fruits of her labor!

it can be a challenge to strike a balance in our decisions as parents when it comes to nourishing our toddlers. It's great to share these experiences and find out how others manage their toddler's preferences too!

Are there any other sanitizing-intact tactics you use for those picky eating days? Mine enjoys helping to prepare her meals, which encourages her to eat well and appreciate the fruits of her labor!
Preparing meals together is a great tactic to engage picky eaters! I also like to involve my child in grocery shopping. It gives her ownership over the meals we prepare, and she's more likely to try the food when she's had a hand in selecting them herself.

For especially difficult mealtimes, I've found that eating with other toddlers seems to help. There's some mysterious peer pressure among them that encourages everyone to eat up! Playdates where meals are involved seem to work wonders for my child's appetite.

• Love
Reactions: bubblyfish
Preparing meals together is a great tactic to engage picky eaters! I also like to involve my child in grocery shopping. It gives her ownership over the meals we prepare, and she's more likely to try the food when she's had a hand in selecting them herself.

For especially difficult mealtimes, I've found that eating with other toddlers seems to help. There's some mysterious peer pressure among them that encourages everyone to eat up! Playdates where meals are involved seem to work wonders for my child's appetite.
Playdates definitely sound like fun! Toddlers do love some good old social eating peer pressure I find it heartwarming to see how they encourage one another.

My toddler also loves helping out in the kitchen and getting sticky from head to toe while cooking together. It's a precious memory in the making!

What are some of your tot's favorite dishes prepared together?

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu