• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddler Tactics

wisdom

Top-Notch
Reaction score
As toddlers gain more independence, their challenging behavior can begin to rear its head!

Share your best tactics for navigating these tricky years while maintaining sanity and encouraging positive growth. From communication strategies to managing tantrums and fostering emotional expression—what's your secret weapon?

Let's create a resource filled with practical tips and insights!

I've been lucky so far - knock on wood! - with my toddler's challenging behavior. I'd say one of the things that help is being attuned to her needs and wants, and trying my best to fulfill them where possible, especially when we're at home and I'm not rushed or stressed about something else.

It's usually easy to distract her with a fun activity or her favourite snacks when she starts getting fussy, and over time I've learned the tell-tale signs that she's hungry, sleepy or just needs some cuddles.

Also, giving her some independence and encouraging her newfound skills has helped keep meltdowns at bay. For instance, letting her wear the clothes she picks out or letting her attempt to put on her own shoes, even though it takes much longer.

When all else fails and a tantrum is imminent, I've found that removing her from the situation - scoop and run! - to a quiet space seems to help. She calms down faster when we're not in the same place where the "trouble" happened, and then we can talk about what happened and why it was upsetting after she's cooled off.

I also try to remember that her feelings are valid even if they seem unreasonable to me, so I acknowledge them - "You're upset because you can't play with the dog's toys" - and give lots of hugs when she's overwhelmed by her emotions.

I've been lucky so far - knock on wood! - because my kiddo's been pretty chill.

But when she does throw a tantrum, which has happened on rare occasions, I just stay calm and distract her. Most of the time, it works to divert her attention by pointing out something else going on around her or changing her surroundings.

It also helps that I let her have some say in decisions, like which toy to play with or what outfit to wear, simple stuff like that. I think giving toddlers that sense of control helps them feel empowered and less likely to throw a wobbly!

I'm sure it's gonna get harder as she gets older, so I'll take all the tips I can get too!

I've been lucky so far - knock on wood! - because my kiddo's been pretty chill.

But when she does throw a tantrum, which has happened on rare occasions, I just stay calm and distract her. Most of the time, it works to divert her attention by pointing out something else going on around her or changing her surroundings.

It also helps that I let her have some say in decisions, like which toy to play with or what outfit to wear, simple stuff like that. I think giving toddlers that sense of control helps them feel empowered and less likely to throw a wobbly!

I'm sure it's gonna get harder as she gets older, so I'll take all the tips I can get too!
I'm also lucky so far... my toddler's been pretty ok, minimal drama.

When she gets a bit uncooperative, I find distraction works really well - like you said, changing her environment helps a lot. I just scoop her up and bring her to another room, or point out something interesting outside, and that usually snaps her out of it.

I think also letting them make some decisions helps, like you do - it's kinda like a compromise, right? You let them feel in control, but it's within boundaries, so everyone's happy.

Will be checking this thread for more tips though, cause like you said, the terrible twos are around the corner!

I'm also lucky so far... my toddler's been pretty ok, minimal drama.

When she gets a bit uncooperative, I find distraction works really well - like you said, changing her environment helps a lot. I just scoop her up and bring her to another room, or point out something interesting outside, and that usually snaps her out of it.

I think also letting them make some decisions helps, like you do - it's kinda like a compromise, right? You let them feel in control, but it's within boundaries, so everyone's happy.

Will be checking this thread for more tips though, cause like you said, the terrible twos are around the corner!
Totally! That's great that distraction works for your tot too. It's a lifesaver for sure! And yes, giving them some independence and a sense of control within reason helps so much in defusing potential melt-downs.

I've found that teaching her some simple songs or playing a game also helps to distract her when she gets a bit antsy. Keeps her occupied and keeps the peace! Haha! And if all else fails, we head outdoors. The park always cheers her up and tires her out too.

It's nice to hear others' tactics too so we're prepared for the tricky phase that's to come!

I think consistency is key when dealing with toddlers, otherwise they get confused. Set clear boundaries and stick to them. Also important to remember that at this stage, they explore their newly found autonomy and push boundaries to learn what they can and cannot do - so don't take it personally when they defy you!

When my kid throws a tantrum, which unfortunately happens quite often these days 😅, I just remain calm and distracting them usually works. I'd ask them to help me with simple tasks like setting the dinner table or getting me something. It often helps shift their focus and snaps them out of it.

Also, giving them options helps too, e.g., "Do you want to wear this shirt or that shirt?" gives them some control over their choices, which I think they appreciate.

I try not to use the word "no" too much - instead, offer a better alternative. For example, if they're pulling books off the shelf and piling them on the floor , redirect their energy by asking them to hand you the books so you can reshelf them together - or even better, make it into a game!

Toddlers are little beings trying to navigate big feelings, so helping them express themselves emotionally is crucial. Labeling emotions for them helps them understand and process what they're going through. It's quite adorable when they start mimicking your emotional descriptors!

Anyway, hope these tactics work for others too!

I think consistency is key when dealing with toddlers, otherwise they get confused. Set clear boundaries and stick to them. Also important to remember that at this stage, they explore their newly found autonomy and push boundaries to learn what they can and cannot do - so don't take it personally when they defy you!

When my kid throws a tantrum, which unfortunately happens quite often these days 😅, I just remain calm and distracting them usually works. I'd ask them to help me with simple tasks like setting the dinner table or getting me something. It often helps shift their focus and snaps them out of it.

Also, giving them options helps too, e.g., "Do you want to wear this shirt or that shirt?" gives them some control over their choices, which I think they appreciate.

I try not to use the word "no" too much - instead, offer a better alternative. For example, if they're pulling books off the shelf and piling them on the floor , redirect their energy by asking them to hand you the books so you can reshelf them together - or even better, make it into a game!

Toddlers are little beings trying to navigate big feelings, so helping them express themselves emotionally is crucial. Labeling emotions for them helps them understand and process what they're going through. It's quite adorable when they start mimicking your emotional descriptors!

Anyway, hope these tactics work for others too!
Yup, I think so too! Consistency is king , as they say. Toddlers need clear boundaries or they will be confused and it's also good to give them options to make them feel somewhat in control.

They're also sponges for emotions - reflecting our own feelings, so keeping calm helps so much, especially during tantrums! I find that explaining my toddler's feelings to him helps him understand what's going on and why he's feeling a certain way - like teaching him to process emotions. Then, he's more able to manage them and regulate them as time goes by.

Toddlers are so fascinating to observe and learn from - their curiosity and enthusiasm for everything is infectious!

Yup, I think so too! Consistency is king , as they say. Toddlers need clear boundaries or they will be confused and it's also good to give them options to make them feel somewhat in control.

They're also sponges for emotions - reflecting our own feelings, so keeping calm helps so much, especially during tantrums! I find that explaining my toddler's feelings to him helps him understand what's going on and why he's feeling a certain way - like teaching him to process emotions. Then, he's more able to manage them and regulate them as time goes by.

Toddlers are so fascinating to observe and learn from - their curiosity and enthusiasm for everything is infectious!
Ah yes, that sponge-like emotion absorption is so interesting! They pick up on everything, so keeping a calm demeanor really does help. I find that creating structured daily routines also helps my toddler feel secure, so he knows what's coming next. Keeps the melt downs to a minimum. Also been trying to be more deliberate in teaching him empathy, which hopefully will kick in when he has his little emotional moments.

It's certainly an exciting journey watching them learn and grow!

Oh yes, the tricky toddler years! My strategy is quite similar - distract, divert attention towards something fun or their favorite things, like you do! And giving them that independence to make choices also helps a lot - let them choose their outfits, or decide which activity to do first.

I also find removing them from a potential meltdown situation is a savior! It's easier said than done, but remaining calm during their tears and offering a quiet, safe space to cool off works wonders. Then, like you, I let them know I understand their feelings, because hey, everybody gets upset sometimes! Offering a big hug always helps too - can't go wrong with some snuggles!

It's a tricky balance but keeping calm and offering reassurance goes a long way!

21699052025_8432419244_m.jpg

Oh yes, the tricky toddler years! My strategy is quite similar - distract, divert attention towards something fun or their favorite things, like you do! And giving them that independence to make choices also helps a lot - let them choose their outfits, or decide which activity to do first.

I also find removing them from a potential meltdown situation is a savior! It's easier said than done, but remaining calm during their tears and offering a quiet, safe space to cool off works wonders. Then, like you, I let them know I understand their feelings, because hey, everybody gets upset sometimes! Offering a big hug always helps too - can't go wrong with some snuggles!

It's a tricky balance but keeping calm and offering reassurance goes a long way!

21699052025_8432419244_m.jpg
I usually find the best way is to just distract them and quickly shift their attention to something else. Like offering a toy they've been enjoying recently or a quick fun game!

And also giving them that sense of independence helps - let them make some small choices like choosing what to wear or which story book to read before bed. Seems to work like a charm!

removing them from the situation is also wise, and staying calm too... I find it helpful to acknowledge their feelings, tell them it's okay to be upset sometimes and offer a big hug!

I think the key to managing toddler tantrums is really about picking your battles and knowing when to step in and when to let things slide.

Like if it's something that they're doing that isn't harmful but just annoying, like playing with the cap of my toothpaste tube and squeezing it everywhere, I'd just let it slide because it's not a big deal and intervening would probably just make it into a bigger issue. But if it's something potentially dangerous or really disruptive, like running amok in a public place, then I'd step in firmly with a no-nonsense tone and redirect them.

Also, I find that giving them choices helps to channel their independent streak in a constructive way - "Do you want to wear your Spidey shirt or your Batman shirt today?" It gives the illusion of control without actually compromising my preference for, say, the outfit that's easier to dress them in.

Timeouts can be effective for us too when there's a full-blown tantrum. I just bring them to a quiet space, hold them if they're up for it, and explain the situation and why I made the decision that's causing their unhappiness. It helps them calm down and process their emotions, and I think it also shows them that I'm not an ogre for denying them something - I have reasons for doing what I do!

And when all else fails, there's always the distraction technique. Toddler has a meltdown because I won't let them eat playdough? Let's go wash our hands and make some funny faces with the soap suds!

Reactions: sportytina
Toddlers got superpowers one don't know about. One minute they're sweet, the next thing you know, they're giving you a taste of their 'tude. No jokes!

It's like their mission in life is to test every limit and push every boundary, man. But I try nah keep my cool. I think it's important to acknowledge their feelings, tell them I hear them and understand why they're upset/frustrated/pissed. Sometimes, I just gotta distract them with something else or offer an alternative.

If all else fails, break out the snacks! Or get the playtime going. Got to agree also that being outdoors helps everyone burn off excess energy and changes the mood immediately. There's only so much we can do and then we just gotta ride it out and survive nah. Hahaha!

Ah, the joyful world of toddlers! While their cute little selves bring immense happiness, we also got to handle their new found independence and the challenges that come with it!

My little one's favorite trick these days is the good old "No!" and "I do it myself!" So, I've been focusing on giving her tasks and responsibilities appropriate for her age - like setting the table or 'helping' me with simple chores. Giving her that sense of importance and independence seems to help!

Also, diverting their attention can be a life saver! For instance, if they start getting cranky at the supermarket, I quickly point out something interesting nearby, like an unfamiliar fruit or a friendly shopper. That buys me some time and saves us from a potential meltdown. haha!

For full-blown tantrums, I find that giving a quick hug, holding them close, and talking about their feelings helps calm everyone down. After the storm, we talk about what happened and come up with ways to handle the situation better next time.

Got some pretty cool tips myself from friends, so do share your toddler tactics here! Would love to hear 'em!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu