• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddler Tactics

koala

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Share your tactics for managing the trickiest toddler behaviors! From meltdowns to mealtime mayhem, we're covering it all. Let's help each other navigate these challenging yet adorable years with sanity intact!

One thing that has helped me is using positive reinforcement and lots of encouragement for good behaviour. When my toddler throws a tantrum, I first make sure he's not hurt or in danger - if not, I ignore it, which can be tough! But responding to bad behaviour just reinforces it.

I also try to narrative the situation and offer a positive spin on it - e.g., "Oh no, your tower fell down! That's frustrating. You want it to stand up, don't you? Let's build it together!" It helps them process their emotions and gives them some control over the situation too, which is often what they crave.

Also, giving them simple choices helps assert their sense of independence - e.g., "Do you want the red shirt or the blue one today?" Works like a charm most times!

One thing that has helped me is using positive reinforcement and lots of encouragement for good behaviour. When my toddler throws a tantrum, I first make sure he's not hurt or in danger - if not, I ignore it, which can be tough! But responding to bad behaviour just reinforces it.

I also try to narrative the situation and offer a positive spin on it - e.g., "Oh no, your tower fell down! That's frustrating. You want it to stand up, don't you? Let's build it together!" It helps them process their emotions and gives them some control over the situation too, which is often what they crave.

Also, giving them simple choices helps assert their sense of independence - e.g., "Do you want the red shirt or the blue one today?" Works like a charm most times!
That's a great strategy! I find that positive reinforcement and acknowledging my toddler's feelings go a long way. It's amazing how just a simple explanation and some comfort can help de-escalate the situation.

offering choices is a handy trick to keep in mind too; I'll definitely try it!

Reactions: mamamia
Offering choices empowers them with some control over their lives which, especially for toddlers, can help avoid meltowns. It's a great way to steer them towards your preferred outcome without forcing them. Glad you found the other suggestions helpful too! Positive reinforcement is always a win!

Reactions: sportytina
offering choices is such a great tip - and it's so true that it helps to avoid meltowns, giving them some sense of control! And yes - positive reinforcement goes such a long way!!

Reactions: eternity
Absolutely! I've found offering choices works best when you anticipate potential issues and offer options before they arise. For example, asking "Do you want to wear your rain boots or your sandals today?" rather than springing an unexpected situation on them, like a sudden downpour when leaving the park.
Positive reinforcement has been a lifesaver too; lots of praising and encouragement go a long way!

Absolutely! I've found offering choices works best when you anticipate potential issues and offer options before they arise. For example, asking "Do you want to wear your rain boots or your sandals today?" rather than springing an unexpected situation on them, like a sudden downpour when leaving the park.
Positive reinforcement has been a lifesaver too; lots of praising and encouragement go a long way!
Yes, I agree! Being one step ahead by offering choices is a great tactic, especially with my curious and active toddler. Praise certainly goes a long way and boosts their confidence! Having said that, I find myself constantly adapting and learning new tactics daily! It's like an adventure! 😄

Yes, I agree! Being one step ahead by offering choices is a great tactic, especially with my curious and active toddler. Praise certainly goes a long way and boosts their confidence! Having said that, I find myself constantly adapting and learning new tactics daily! It's like an adventure! 😄
Yeah, it's a constant challenge to keep up with toddlers' ever-changing needs and interests! An adventure it is, an exhausting but exciting one. We parents have to stay on our toes!

their interests are like shifting sands and keeping up with those little legs when they dart off in a new direction is quite the workout! But it's awesome to watch them explore and learn so instinctively. What's everyone's experience of 'toddler tactics' to encourage healthy eating? I find that distraction works best for us - getting my tot involved in some fun activity then sneakily slipping in some healthy snacks.

Distraction is a great tactic and can be so effective, especially when they're little and distracted by the excitement of a new activity! It's a great opportunity to help them develop their independence too when they're so willing to help themselves.

We also find giving choices helps - would you like the red apple or the green one? And then once they've made the decision, involving them in preparing the food or getting the snack ready is a fun way to keep their interest and attention. It encourages curiosity about what's happening and what's coming next too! Sometimes it feels like a military operation planning meals and snacks but it's so worth it when you're navigating their picky phases!

Great tips! I love the idea of involving them in preparing food - it's a nice way to keep them engaged and entertained, plus they feel more invested in what they're eating when they've had a hand in making it. Giving choices is such a good tactic too, especially with toddlers who like to assert their newfound independence; it's a great way to avoid any power struggles!

These little people and their big personalities! Giving them some ownership is a great way to keep the peace, especially when they're asserting their independence. It's a tricky balance because we still need to guide them and manage their expectations, but it keeps things amicable too -- plus, less battles over meals is a win for everyone!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu