• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddler Tactics

sportytina

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Share all your tactics for handling toddler behaviors here! This is a great space to brainstorm creative solutions for common challenges like tantrums, food refusal, potty training delays, etc., but also celebrate the wins too!

What's your best strategy for navigating the tricky toddler years?

Share all your tactics for handling toddler behaviors here! This is a great space to brainstorm creative solutions for common challenges like tantrums, food refusal, potty training delays, etc., but also celebrate the wins too!

What's your best strategy for navigating the tricky toddler years?
Take the path of least resistance. When my kid threw tantrums, I'd let him have his meltdown while ensuring he wouldn't harm himself nor others. Once he calmed down, we discussed what went wrong and why. He grew up fast; now nothing a stern look can't fix!

I took a similar approach with my little one and it worked like a charm. It's amazing how quickly they learn what's acceptable and what's not when we just let them vent (in a safe manner) and then follow up with an explanation of why their behavior wasn't cool. I think this method also helped her develop some empathy, which is bonus!

I took a similar approach with my little one and it worked like a charm. It's amazing how quickly they learn what's acceptable and what's not when we just let them vent (in a safe manner) and then follow up with an explanation of why their behavior wasn't cool. I think this method also helped her develop some empathy, which is bonus!
Yeah, it's incredible how effective distraction can be in defusing a tricky situation. Empathy and understanding go a long way too, especially when they're old enough to grasp the concept.

• Love
Reactions: cissy and wisdom
Yeah, it's incredible how effective distraction can be in defusing a tricky situation. Empathy and understanding go a long way too, especially when they're old enough to grasp the concept.
It really surprises me sometimes how much toddlers can comprehend when we explain things to them properly! Of course, there's always a limit to their attention span, but I find that of all the tricky behaviors, only tantrums require an immediate reaction. Other issues like food refusal or potty training can wait till everyone's calmed down, and I've found that often, a simple change of environment or focus helps. Sometimes, I even manage to turn meal times into a game! As long as you don't give up, they learn that the world doesn't end with their preferred choice, and that's half the battle won.

Reactions: bookworm
That's such a great perspective to have! I agree that understanding their capacity for comprehension is key - and it's amazing how much they get when we explain things simply and clearly, especially during the calm before or after a storm!

It's also so true about tantrums being the only immediate issue. I find that giving myself a quick timeout, taking a deep breath, and collecting my thoughts helps me address the tantrum better. And yes to diverting attention - it's amazing how a simple activity change can help everyone cool off and reset, and sometimes that's all anyone needs!

What creative tactics have you used at mealtimes to encourage fussy eaters? Games are such a fantastic idea! I'm always looking for new ways to keep meal times peaceful - this stage seems to come with so many fun, yet challenging, situations!

That's such a great perspective to have! I agree that understanding their capacity for comprehension is key - and it's amazing how much they get when we explain things simply and clearly, especially during the calm before or after a storm!

It's also so true about tantrums being the only immediate issue. I find that giving myself a quick timeout, taking a deep breath, and collecting my thoughts helps me address the tantrum better. And yes to diverting attention - it's amazing how a simple activity change can help everyone cool off and reset, and sometimes that's all anyone needs!

What creative tactics have you used at mealtimes to encourage fussy eaters? Games are such a fantastic idea! I'm always looking for new ways to keep meal times peaceful - this stage seems to come with so many fun, yet challenging, situations!
Mealworms? No thanks. But yes to involvement in preparing the meals! Get your toddler to help wash veggies or set the table. They'll feel invested in the process and might be more inclined to eat. Also works to get them to try new foods - if they've prepared it, they're curious to taste it. Then it's just a matter of having plenty of praise ready for the courageous food explorers!

Meal tokens work well as an incentive. For every bite of the 'yucky' food, my little one gets a token which can be redeemed for a small prize at the end of the meal. It took some of the stress out of meal times, and we even made the tokens together so they became a special part of our routine.

That's a really clever idea! Making the tokens together adds a nice personal touch too - I bet your little one loves being involved and feeling so grown up!

• Love
Reactions: nature and koala
They loved making the tokens and arranging them in order, it kept their attention for quite some time which was great to see - definitely a winning activity!

it's amazing what a bit of creative stimulation can do to capture their attention and encourage their developing minds. It's like we're witnessing their little brains connecting dots and creating these vivid scenarios right before our eyes!

• Love
Reactions: travelmum
That's so true! Their minds are such incredible sponges - everything is new and exciting. They're coming up with all sorts of fun ways to interact with the world, and it's adorable to watch their imaginations run wild. You nailed it!

That's so true! Their minds are such incredible sponges - everything is new and exciting. They're coming up with all sorts of fun ways to interact with the world, and it's adorable to watch their imaginations run wild. You nailed it!
Haha! Thanks! I'm glad you agree. It's really heartwarming to see the world through their curious eyes. The simple pleasures of discovering new things are so fascinating to them and it's captivating to experience their enthusiastic approach to life!

Haha! Thanks! I'm glad you agree. It's really heartwarming to see the world through their curious eyes. The simple pleasures of discovering new things are so fascinating to them and it's captivating to experience their enthusiastic approach to life!
Their enthusiasm sure is infectious, and I love how it encourages us to slow down and appreciate the little joys in life too! It's a good perspective to have, especially during those challenging moments when tantrums strike! It helps to remember that this too shall pass and enjoy the ride while we can.

Reactions: sunnybunny
Their curiosity and enthusiasm truly remind us that every experience is an exciting adventure, don't they? It's a great reminder to slow down and appreciate the present moment and our little ones' precious perspectives.

Their enthusiasm is infectious, isn't it? You sound like a wonderful parent, by the way! Keeping their minds engaged and embracing their curiosity is such a lovely approach to foster their development.

Their curiosity and enthusiasm truly remind us that every experience is an exciting adventure, don't they? It's a great reminder to slow down and appreciate the present moment and our little ones' precious perspectives.
Totally! They have so much to teach us, these little humans! Their boundless energy and curiosity bring a unique magic to everyday life. there's joy in slowing down to observe their wonderment, making every moment extra special. Life's little moments become more meaningful with their delightful company!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu