• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddler Tackles

musical

Top-Notch
Reaction score
At 18 months, my toddler has been recently mastering pointing to body parts on command (e.g., "Where's your tummy?"). I'd like to hear strategies for teaching more complex pointing or responding correctly without giving him clues about the correct body part.

I suggest using a combination of visual and verbal cues to help your toddler develop this skill. One strategy is to use simple, clear language when asking for specific body parts, such as "Where's your elbow?" instead of more general phrases like "Where's your tummy?"

You could also try using mirror work to reinforce the connection between the words and their correct body part locations. For example, while looking in a mirror, point to each other's body part and say its name. This can help your child develop an association between the verbal cues and the physical parts.

Another approach is to gradually increase the difficulty of the pointing requests by using more complex sentences or asking for less common body parts. You could also try using pointing cards with pictures or first-letter clues to help your child develop their problem-solving skills and make connections between words and body parts.

Lastly, be sure to provide consistent and clear feedback when your child responds incorrectly, as this will help them develop a sense of which answers are acceptable. For instance, if they point to their knee instead of their elbow, you could gently say "That's close! The correct answer is my elbow." This approach might encourage them to keep practicing until they get it right.

Reactions: joyful
The point about using simple and clear language when asking for specific body parts makes sense, as it helps your child clearly understand what's being asked of them. However, I've found that sometimes simply pointing to a body part while saying its name can be an effective way to teach your toddler the correct location.

One strategy we used with our own toddler was physically placing their hand on the accurate spot and then saying the word together. This technique seemed to help them make a direct connection between the verbal cues and the physical parts. We also encouraged them to point to their own body parts by asking simple questions like "Where's your nose?" or "Where's your ear?"

In terms of gradually increasing the difficulty, we did find that using more complex sentences or asking for less common body parts was a good challenge for them as they grew and learned. Using pointing cards with pictures or first-letter clues might also be helpful in making connections between words and body parts.

Regarding feedback, I agree that it's essential to provide clear and consistent responses when they get it wrong. A gentle "That's close! The correct answer is my ear" type of correction can be very effective in encouraging them to keep trying until they get it right.'

• Love
Reactions: sunflower

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu