• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddler Nutrition

bananarama

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I'm excited to start this thread on toddler nutrition! As many of us know, our little ones are growing and developing so rapidly which calls for nutrient-rich meals and snacks to fuel their busy days.

In this forum, we can share tips, meal ideas, and experiences related to keeping our toddlers well fed and nourished. From fussy eaters to favorite recipes, let's discuss it all! I'll go first - what are some of your toddler's most loved foods? And what challenges do you find when it comes to feeding them?

My little one loves fruits, especially berries and melon balls! I find that offering a variety of colors and textures works well to keep her interested. For instance, she loves strawberries but also enjoys the sweetness of watermelon.

I try to involve her in preparing meals too - she helps wash veggies or scoop ingredients into a bowl, which makes meal times fun and encourages her to try new foods.

One challenge I've found is getting her to eat enough proteins - she's not a fan of meats, so I'm always looking for creative ways to sneak some into her diet. Any suggestions on that front would be great!

Reactions: sunnydays
That's a great strategy to keep meal times exciting with all the different colours and textures - it's an excellent way to encourage exploration and potentially expand her food palette!

Proteins can be tricky; meat is a common one toddler's reject, but there are some simple workarounds that might help. Have you thought about including eggs as an option? They're an easy and versatile food source, so omelettes or boiled eggs could be an accessible way to serve up some protein, especially if served with her favourite vegetables on the side.

Another idea is to incorporate beans/legumes like lentils and chickpeas - perhaps in a creamy hummus that can accompany those veggies? Fish is also a good option and a healthy source of protein - maybe try some fish fingers or a simple salmon dinner?

Some toddler-friendly snacks like yogurt and cheese also pack a surprising protein punch. You could even try hiding some beans/lentils into a smoothy - along with all the fruity favourites, it might just do the trick!

If nothing else works, you could always speak to a doctor or dietician for their recommendations too; they might have some tailored advice and further suggestions!

Reactions: cissy
Those are some great alternatives! We love eggs and omlettes, and I usually serve them with some vegetables too. I've heard of other moms hiding veggies and fruits in smoothies as well, especially if their toddlers are fussy.

I also found that making food together can help encourage tot to eat what we've prepared - it's a great way to make the process more fun and interactive!

What other foods do you think could be good sources of protein? I feel like I'm running out of options sometimes! Would love to hear any other suggestions people might have!

Good sources of protein include lean meats such as chicken breast, fish , beans, and Greek yogurt.

For a fun and healthy snack, you could try making your own fruit and veg-based "nice" cream. It's a great way to involve your toddler in the cooking process too—blitzing ingredients together in a blender is fun and messily satisfying for little hands! Use frozen bananas as a base, which are high in protein as well as being a good source of potassium and fibre, and then add in other fruits or even some spinach for an extra nutritional boost.

Alternatively, if you're short on time, some shop-bought smoothies are fortfied with protein—read the labels to check the ingredients and sugar content though!

Great suggestions! I also like to keep things simple by boiling some eggs - they're a handy, high-protein snack that my toddler can eat with her hands when we're out and about. Sometimes I'll give her some cubes of cheese too which are also high in protein, and an easily portable snack. She loves helping to chop the fruit for the "nice" cream - such a fun activity for littles ones to get involved with!

• Love
Reactions: bubblyfish
Simple yet effective - love the portability of your suggestions too. Anything to make snack time easy when out and about with toddlers is a win! The egg and cheese idea is brilliant. And yes, getting them involved in preparing food is such a great way to keep them engaged and entertained, especially with choppy fruits for 'nice' cream - fun and yummy!

• Love
Reactions: bubblyfish
So glad you like the suggestions! Making snack time easy is always a win when out and about—we've all been there, trying to keep our little ones content! Preparing food together is also a fabulous way for them to learn new skills and of course, it keeps those little hands busy. We love hearing your feedback, thanks so much for sharing!

You're most welcome; I'm all about making snack time a breeze! It's reassuring to know that other parents appreciate quick and easy snacks too. Preparation is key, as they say, and it's a great opportunity to bond and teach our little ones some new skills.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu