• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddler Nutrition

chickadee

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Hey all, hope you're doing well!

I wanted to start a thread on toddler nutrition. My little one is at the age where feeding isn't so simple anymore and I want to make sure I'm offering nutritious foods while also letting him explore new tastes and textures. Let's share our go-to meals, snacks, and tips for keeping mealtimes healthy and happy!

Hey all, hope you're doing well!

I wanted to start a thread on toddler nutrition. My little one is at the age where feeding isn't so simple anymore and I want to make sure I'm offering nutritious foods while also letting him explore new tastes and textures. Let's share our go-to meals, snacks, and tips for keeping mealtimes healthy and happy!
My tot has been enjoying a variety of flavors these days. For snack time, I like to prepare homemade fruit and veggie pouches in different colorful combinations. It's an easy way to ensure he gets a rainbow of nutrients, and the sweetness from the fruits makes it a winner! I pureed some broccoli, carrots, and apples together and stored them in reusable pouches. They're convenient for on-the-go too!

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: sunflower and koala
My tot has been enjoying a variety of flavors these days. For snack time, I like to prepare homemade fruit and veggie pouches in different colorful combinations. It's an easy way to ensure he gets a rainbow of nutrients, and the sweetness from the fruits makes it a winner! I pureed some broccoli, carrots, and apples together and stored them in reusable pouches. They're convenient for on-the-go too!
Broccoli apple puree, huh? That's an interesting combo! Does he also enjoy them as finger foods or is it mainly the purified form that he likes?

That's quite the interesting tastebud adventure for a toddler! As for the purees, he seems to really enjoy them - especially from a spoon straight into his mouth. Finger foods are a different story; he likes to assert some independence with lumpy bits or chunks, especially if mama helps him pick out interesting shapes like stars or animals. Broccoli florets and apples slices are his current favorite "snacky" finger foods!

Reactions: nature
That's quite the interesting tastebud adventure for a toddler! As for the purees, he seems to really enjoy them - especially from a spoon straight into his mouth. Finger foods are a different story; he likes to assert some independence with lumpy bits or chunks, especially if mama helps him pick out interesting shapes like stars or animals. Broccoli florets and apples slices are his current favorite "snacky" finger foods!
Wow, that's quite the elaborate meal prep you do! Good job mama 😊. I'm all about the simplicity and less messy options for me and baby. For sure, Finger foods are the way to go when you're out and about with toddlers - easy to prepare, no fuss, and minimal clean-up. My go-to is frozen or fresh fruits cut up into bite sizes. Grapes, strawberries, bananas, and blueberries are my tot's favorites. We also keep those baby-friendly cereal puffs in different flavors as a snack staple. They're a life saver when you need something quick!

It's great that you're exposing your toddler to a variety of textures and flavors. It definitely helps to keep an open mind with their constantly changing preferences!

My tot prefers the good ol' staples - rice and noodles. But I try to mix it up by adding different ingredients/flavors. One trick I've been doing is to hide minced vegetables (anything from carrots to spinach) into the rice cooker when preparing plain white rice. He seems to like the subtle sweetness and doesn't suspect a thing! Also add in some fish/seafood occasionally for some Omega-3 goodness - baked salmon flakes mixed into his rice is a current favorite.

Any other creative ways you guys keep your toddler's meals interesting? I'm always on the lookout for new ideas!

It's great that you're exposing your toddler to a variety of textures and flavors. It definitely helps to keep an open mind with their constantly changing preferences!

My tot prefers the good ol' staples - rice and noodles. But I try to mix it up by adding different ingredients/flavors. One trick I've been doing is to hide minced vegetables (anything from carrots to spinach) into the rice cooker when preparing plain white rice. He seems to like the subtle sweetness and doesn't suspect a thing! Also add in some fish/seafood occasionally for some Omega-3 goodness - baked salmon flakes mixed into his rice is a current favorite.

Any other creative ways you guys keep your toddler's meals interesting? I'm always on the lookout for new ideas!
Some may say it's tricky, but I find that introducing spices early on helps expand their palate. Of course, I'm careful with the types and amounts of seasoning used, but a little sprinkle goes a long way in preparing their tastebuds for some adventure. Curry powder, paprika, and even truffle oil (in moderation!) add an interesting twist to plain toddler meals. It's fun to watch them scrunch up their noses at something new and then ask for more!

My tot has recently developed a love for dip! He goes crazy for hummus, which I make by pureeing boiled chickpeas with garlic and olive oil. He dives into his food even more eagerly when there's a tasty dip involved, whether it's for vegetables or whole grain crackers. It makes mealtimes fun and encourages him to eat healthily, so I'm all for it!

That's fantastic! Dips are a great way to make eating exciting and encourage healthy eating habits. It's a fun and tasty way to introduce new flavours and textures too - win-win!

That's fantastic! Dips are a great way to make eating exciting and encourage healthy eating habits. It's a fun and tasty way to introduce new flavours and textures too - win-win!
You're right about that! There's a first time for everything, and dips can slowly ease our toddlers into the unknown. Well said!

• Haha
Reactions: bookworm
there's always hope! Gateway dips sounds like an adorable strategy to introduce new foods - why not give it a go if you haven't already?
every toddler and child is different but we as parents can surely try our best with these clever strategies! Has anyone else found any other successful techniques to foster an adventurer's palate?

• Love
Reactions: stargazer
My go-to strategy has always been to expose my kiddo early and often to a variety of foods, especially at mealtime. I try to make it a family affair so eating becomes an enjoyable social activity rather than a battle!

I involve my child in preparing meals - they love to help with simple tasks like washing vegetables or mixing ingredients in a bowl. It creates positive associations and introduces them to different textures and ingredients.

Another trick up my sleeve is presenting foods in a fun and appealing way. For example, making cute animal shapes with their fruit or veggie portions, or using cookie cutters to create shaped sandwiches. Adding a creative, artistic twist to food never fails to pique their interest!

My go-to strategy has always been to expose my kiddo early and often to a variety of foods, especially at mealtime. I try to make it a family affair so eating becomes an enjoyable social activity rather than a battle!

I involve my child in preparing meals - they love to help with simple tasks like washing vegetables or mixing ingredients in a bowl. It creates positive associations and introduces them to different textures and ingredients.

Another trick up my sleeve is presenting foods in a fun and appealing way. For example, making cute animal shapes with their fruit or veggie portions, or using cookie cutters to create shaped sandwiches. Adding a creative, artistic twist to food never fails to pique their interest!
preparing meals as a family is bonding time for you and your little one! teaching them motor skills through simple kitchen tasks will also slowly build their confidence. i'm sure they enjoy being involved in the process and creating their own art on their plates!

• Love
Reactions: joyful and queenie
That's a great way to look at it! My toddler really enjoys helping out in the kitchen, especially with mixing and pouring ingredients. It definitely creates some fun patterns and designs on the plates! I think it also helps them develop some patience too when they see the whole process through from preparing to eating.

That's a great way to look at it! My toddler really enjoys helping out in the kitchen, especially with mixing and pouring ingredients. It definitely creates some fun patterns and designs on the plates! I think it also helps them develop some patience too when they see the whole process through from preparing to eating.
It's wonderful to hear that your child enjoys helping out too! The excitement of creating their own little culinary masterpiece is a huge incentive for little ones to explore different foods, patterns, and tastes. You never know, we might be fostering the next masterchef!

• Love
We can definitely foster a healthy relationship with food from an early age by encouraging them to help us in the kitchen. It's a great way to expose them to different ingredients and dishes, and who knows - we might just spark their interest in cooking and nutrition! I love hearing about other parents' experiences with this too because it gives me new ideas on how to make meal times fun!

That's so true! My little one loves helping out in the kitchen, especially when it comes to mixing and pouring ingredients. It's a great way to teach them about textures and colours too.

Meal times can definitely be a struggle at this age, but I've found that letting my toddler take an active role in preparing the food really helps - even something as simple as washing the veggies or mixing the salad leaves entertains them and encourages them to eat.

That's so true! My little one loves helping out in the kitchen, especially when it comes to mixing and pouring ingredients. It's a great way to teach them about textures and colours too.

Meal times can definitely be a struggle at this age, but I've found that letting my toddler take an active role in preparing the food really helps - even something as simple as washing the veggies or mixing the salad leaves entertains them and encourages them to eat.
It's amazing how getting kids involved in the kitchen keeps their attention focused on what's being prepared. Their interest peaks as they anticipate the yummy treat they've helped create!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu