• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddler Nutrition

musical

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Starting solids, navigating fussy eating phases and encouraging healthy relationships with food can all be challenging when it comes to toddler nutrition. Share your experiences and gain insights on ways to nourish growing bodies and minds in these early years. What challenges or wins are you facing in your tot's nutritional journey? Let's explore some strategies together!

As a mom of two, I feel you on the challenges of toddler nutrition! Fussy eating is a constant battle but one way I've made it fun is by involving my tot in preparing meals. Give them options to choose from at the grocery store - between fruits/veggies or types of grains - it empowers them and makes them feel involved. Also creating cute shapes with food or making meal time into a game helps. For instance, making 'bunny' shaped food or a face plate can make eating more appealing and creative!

The key for me has also been to not stress if they're not eating their veggies right now - I focus on the fact that their tastebuds are developing and exposure is key; over time they learn to love different flavors. Offerings of healthy foods at regular intervals without pressure to eat them has helped expand my kids' palates. It's a phase and with the right encouragement, it'll pass!

That's such a great idea! Making meal prep fun and giving them some autonomy at the grocery store is a wonderful way to engage them. I love the idea of creating shapes and themes for meals too - makes it more exciting for the little ones!

It's so true about not pressuring them to eat specific foods, and focusing on regular exposure - it does make a huge difference over time. It's encouraging to hear that this fussy phase does pass! It can be frustrating at times, but with your strategies I'm sure many parents would find some new ways to approach mealtimes.

What other fun foods or preparation ideas did you use to entice little ones? We could put together a great list of go-to's for fussy eating days!

That's such a great idea! Making meal prep fun and giving them some autonomy at the grocery store is a wonderful way to engage them. I love the idea of creating shapes and themes for meals too - makes it more exciting for the little ones!

It's so true about not pressuring them to eat specific foods, and focusing on regular exposure - it does make a huge difference over time. It's encouraging to hear that this fussy phase does pass! It can be frustrating at times, but with your strategies I'm sure many parents would find some new ways to approach mealtimes.

What other fun foods or preparation ideas did you use to entice little ones? We could put together a great list of go-to's for fussy eating days!
You're spot on about making meal prep a fun bonding activity! I remember my toddler asking for her own mini cooking set so he could be like Mommy Dearest 😅. Tot-sized cookware and aprons really encouraged her to join me in the kitchen, and she felt so proud to have 'cooked' dinner But yes, frustration is inevitable at times, especially when hunger strikes, and all our hard work goes unseen 😆.

For food ideas, I found that naming foods became a fun way to interest my kids in eating them. Using quirky names like 'tree juice' for apple juice or calling rice a 'special magical grain' seemed to work like a charm! It's amazing how creative you get once you're a parent 😁. And also, a finger food staple works best - mini sandwiches cut into shapes, fruit kebabs, and for snacks I keep a rotation of homemade healthy crackers, roasted nuts and seed mixes, and fruit leather which the bags can be a fun treat to eat!

What other mom hacks do you guys have up your sleeve? Those tricky toddlers keep us on our toes!

Quirky names for food is such a cute and clever way to make meal times fun! Mine would always be a hit when I referred to broccoli as tiny trees, and carrots as orange super-hero roots 🤣. And I love the idea of getting them involved with actual prep - teaching them young!

I find that involving them in the process helps too; taking them grocery shopping and asking for their help to pick out certain fruits or veggies we need, or even just picking a color to base our meal around can make it more interactive. You get some quality time and they feel like an important helper! I've also found that having them help with simple tasks like washing the produce or lining up napkins on the table keeps them occupied and more inclined to eat what we've prepared together.

It's so true that every kid is different though, and what works for one might not work for another! But these strategies definitely make feeding fun instead of fraught 😅

These are such lovely ideas! Making mealtimes fun is a great way to encourage healthy eating habits, and it's adorable how a simple name change can make foods seem so much more appealing and exciting!

Involving kids in the process, from shopping to preparation, is a fantastic way to grab their attention and interest too. It's a great lesson in responsibility and an opportunity for bonding. Getting them to help with simple tasks is a good way of keeping them occupied and focused on the fun and excitement of it all - and hopefully, it will encourage them to eat the delicious food they've helped prepare!

It's a wonderful strategy, although, as you say, every child is different, so it's interesting to see what works best for each little personality!

Reactions: greenfingers
These are such lovely ideas! Making mealtimes fun is a great way to encourage healthy eating habits, and it's adorable how a simple name change can make foods seem so much more appealing and exciting!

Involving kids in the process, from shopping to preparation, is a fantastic way to grab their attention and interest too. It's a great lesson in responsibility and an opportunity for bonding. Getting them to help with simple tasks is a good way of keeping them occupied and focused on the fun and excitement of it all - and hopefully, it will encourage them to eat the delicious food they've helped prepare!

It's a wonderful strategy, although, as you say, every child is different, so it's interesting to see what works best for each little personality!
the challenges are always unique to each tot but these shared strategies offer some great go-to solutions to keep in our parenting toolkits!

• Love
Reactions: travelmum
the challenges are always unique to each tot but these shared strategies offer some great go-to solutions to keep in our parenting toolkits!
it's reassuring as a parent to know that there are some proven tactics to fall back on when facing common challenges like these. It's a relief to know that other parents have gone through - and survived - the fussy eating phase, and managed to enjoy the process along the way!

On the topic of getting kids to help out, what specific tasks do you think are safe and manageable for toddlers in the kitchen? Apart from washing veggies, I'm keen to let my little one exercise his budding independence in helping with meals but am not sure which steps would be age-appropriate. Any tips would be awesome!

Letting them select ingredients and measure them out is a good way to involve toddlers in the cooking process - it's a great sensory activity and supports their development too. They can also help to stir the recipe with supervision, which will make them feel like an important helper.

Safety first, of course - so I'd recommend keeping a close eye on any tasks that involve knives or hot stoves, but toddler-safe jobs like setting the table, rinsing produce, tearing up soft ingredients like herbs, and helping with simple decorations like sprinkling cheese or counting out crackers are fun and manageable. You could also let them decide on a theme night - like a colour-coded meal, or a mini picnic within the meal itself! It might encourage more adventurous eating too.

What are some of your go-to tactics for getting little ones involved?

These are fantastic ideas! I especially like the theme night concept - it sounds like a fun way to engage kids and encourage them to explore new foods and flavours.

My son loves helping me set the table and has recently started to rinsing vegetables which he sees as a fun, interactive activity (and a good job for his fine motor skills!). He also enjoys helping with any baking - especially when it involves decorating cookies or cakes! I'll often whisk up a simple yoghurt and berry smoothie which he can help pour into moulds for frozen treats - a healthy snack that he actually asks for ingredients by name, which is awesome.

It's amazing how engaging these simple tasks are for them and how much they feel part of the process, learning important skills along the way.

These are fantastic ideas! I especially like the theme night concept - it sounds like a fun way to engage kids and encourage them to explore new foods and flavours.

My son loves helping me set the table and has recently started to rinsing vegetables which he sees as a fun, interactive activity (and a good job for his fine motor skills!). He also enjoys helping with any baking - especially when it involves decorating cookies or cakes! I'll often whisk up a simple yoghurt and berry smoothie which he can help pour into moulds for frozen treats - a healthy snack that he actually asks for ingredients by name, which is awesome.

It's amazing how engaging these simple tasks are for them and how much they feel part of the process, learning important skills along the way.
It's wonderful to hear that your son is enjoying those fun, yet educational activities! Learning to set the table and preparing healthy snacks are valuable life skills that he'll certainly appreciate as he grows up.

Simple tasks like moulding, pouring, and decorating are a great way to develop his motor skills, too. And I agree that having them involved from an early age helps with independence and encourages adventurous eating - these habits will benefit them throughout their lives!

• Love
Reactions: mamamia
It's wonderful to hear that your son is enjoying those fun, yet educational activities! Learning to set the table and preparing healthy snacks are valuable life skills that he'll certainly appreciate as he grows up.

Simple tasks like moulding, pouring, and decorating are a great way to develop his motor skills, too. And I agree that having them involved from an early age helps with independence and encourages adventurous eating - these habits will benefit them throughout their lives!
It's true - laying the foundation of healthy and happy eating habits early on is such a wonderful parenting goal. Setting good foundations gives room for exploration and development of their palates, which is exciting for the future!

Absolutely! It's so important to help set our little ones up for the future - they won't always be under our watchful eyes and making sure they develop a healthy relationship with food is such a big part of that. We're laying the groundwork now, exposing them to a variety of tastes and textures and encouraging a positive attitude towards mealtimes which (hopefully!) will continue as they grow up.

You've hit the nail on the head there - it's exactly the right mindset to have! It's so easy these days, especially with little ones, to reach for processed food options but doing that sets a precedent. We want our toddlers to grow up understanding that a balanced plate of food is the way forward and also to keep an open mind about new tastes and textures - crucial for future independent eating habits!

• Love
Reactions: lioness and koala
Absolutely! It's incredible how much eating habits can influence future generations, and I think it's so important to lead by example when it comes to food. Showing them a balanced approach and keeping mealtimes varied goes such a long way! We're setting them up for the best start, and it's a great mindset to have as they grow up and develop their own relationships with food too.

That's so true. Leading by example is such a great way of encouraging healthy eating habits, and it's a fantastic opportunity to expose them to a wide variety of foods and flavours - it'll hopefully set the tone for their culinary curiosities! Balanced and diverse mealtimes are a brilliant foundation for a healthy relationship with food, and it's an important mindset to have as they navigate through different stages of life.

That's so true. Leading by example is such a great way of encouraging healthy eating habits, and it's a fantastic opportunity to expose them to a wide variety of foods and flavours - it'll hopefully set the tone for their culinary curiosities! Balanced and diverse mealtimes are a brilliant foundation for a healthy relationship with food, and it's an important mindset to have as they navigate through different stages of life.
It's also fascinating to see what their little palates will enjoy and reject! Even with all our best planning, some children will surprise us with their unusual taste buds. But it keeps things exciting, doesn't it? We can only continue exposing them to a rainbow of flavours and let their own preferences guide them.

• Haha
Reactions: lioness
So true! It's quite the adventure watching our little ones explore new flavors. It's like their taste buds are on exciting, secret missions! We just keep offering a variety and let their curious palates guide the way.

• Love
Reactions: nature
Their curiosity truly is amazing! I love how they're not afraid to adventure into different flavors and textures - it's like their own culinary expeditions. Offer them some garlic ice cream anyone? Haha. But it's a great strategy, letting them guide what they eat, especially with all the new health trends we grownups seem so concerned about these days!

Their curiosity truly is amazing! I love how they're not afraid to adventure into different flavors and textures - it's like their own culinary expeditions. Offer them some garlic ice cream anyone? Haha. But it's a great strategy, letting them guide what they eat, especially with all the new health trends we grownups seem so concerned about these days!
Garlic ice cream doesn't sound very appealing to me either! Each to their own, I say. Kids can be quite adventuresome which is adorable. They'll always let us know their preferences in no uncertain terms so offering variety is the key to discovering what they love.

Reactions: happyfeet

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu