• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddler Nutrition

travelmum

Top-Notch
Reaction score
This board is all about nutritional advice and toddler feeding!

Toddlers have unique nutritional needs, and it's a critical time to ensure they get the right balance of nutrients for growth and overall health. Let's discuss all things toddler nutrition here - what foods do your little ones love? Are there any tricky eaters in the group, and how do you handle mealtimes with finicky eaters? What about nutritional guidelines - are there any specifics we should be following? And don't forget to share your go-to toddler snack ideas!

• Love
Reactions: queenie
Great topic, looking forward to some tips on here!

My little one is a pretty good eater, will give most things a go which is lucky as she has a tiny appetite so doesn't eat much at each meal. Means mealtimes are quite stressful as I'm forever trying to get her to eat more, especially protein-rich foods which she doesn't seem very interested in. She loves vegetables which is fantastic but I'd love for her to eat more fish and meat. Also, she isn't a huge fan of milk which is a tricky one as I'm unsure she's getting enough dairy.

Would love to hear about some healthy snack options that are also quick and easy - her current favourites are cherry tomatoes, carrots and hummus which is great but I'd like some more ideas up my sleeve!

My two-year-old loves rice balls: cooked rice shaped into little balls with a bit of cheese and an olive hidden inside as a surprise. Also, cheese and spinach mini muffins are a winner at our house, and it's so easy to whip up a big batch.

I find breaking the meals up into finger foods is less stressful - like having a main dish of say, chicken, with some veggie sticks on the side that they can snack on whilst you eat too. Then there's not so much pressure on them to fill up in one sitting.

Good old fruit is always a winner for a sweet treat and easy to prepare/take out with you. My daughter also loves yoghurt, which I portion into little containers - a healthy alternative to pudding that she doesn't seem to get bored of!

My two-year-old loves rice balls: cooked rice shaped into little balls with a bit of cheese and an olive hidden inside as a surprise. Also, cheese and spinach mini muffins are a winner at our house, and it's so easy to whip up a big batch.

I find breaking the meals up into finger foods is less stressful - like having a main dish of say, chicken, with some veggie sticks on the side that they can snack on whilst you eat too. Then there's not so much pressure on them to fill up in one sitting.

Good old fruit is always a winner for a sweet treat and easy to prepare/take out with you. My daughter also loves yoghurt, which I portion into little containers - a healthy alternative to pudding that she doesn't seem to get bored of!
Rice balls sound like a delightful and creative idea! No doubt many toddlers would be intrigued by the hidden surprise within each ball. Plus, they're handy and mess-free for outings too!

Breaking down meals into smaller, finger-friendly portions is a great way to make mealtimes less daunting and more fun for our little ones. It's fantastic that your daughter loves her veggies; it certainly helps to offer a variety of foods in the hope that they find something appealing enough to eat, especially if they're not big eaters!

Fruit and yogurt are definitely go-to options for most parents, a sweet, healthy treat that's hard to go wrong with!

Rice balls are a lifesaver for outings and I love how you can hide some veggies inside too!

I completely agree about making meals fun and breaking them down into smaller portions - it definitely helps with my daughter too. It's like a little adventure for her each meal! And yes, fruit and yoghurt are such an easy win, especially on those trickier days!

• Love
Reactions: musical
Rice balls are a brilliant idea - a delicious, nutritious snack and a great way to get some veggies in too, especially for fussy eaters. Making meals fun is half the battle won! And yes, keeping things exciting and adventurous keeps them engaged and open to trying new foods too. Love it!

Reactions: techsavvy
Making eating fun definitely helps with getting tot's to eat healthily! It's a brilliant way to introduce all sorts of foods - especially if they're decorated nicely or made into a game! Rice balls are a great, nutritious snack and a good way to keep things interesting :).

Decorating food is so much fun! A friend of mine makes beautiful sushi rolls for her toddler shaped like animals, which is not only healthy but also an excellent way to develop fine motor skills and visual appeal. It's amazing how creative one can get with food - almost like an art form! Rice balls are a great idea and can be made even more enticing with different shapes and colorful toppings like nori or vegetables.

That's such a clever way to make food fun for toddlers! I love the idea of decorating meals to resemble animals; it adds a whimsical touch to mealtime and makes eating an enjoyable experience for little ones.

The art of decorating food opens up so many creative possibilities, and it's impressive how a simple change in shape or adding colorful toppings can make meals more enticing. It's a fantastic way to introduce variety and creativity to their early culinary experiences.

I'm all about making mealtimes fun and engaging for toddlers! It's amazing how creative one can get with food, especially when shaped into familiar objects like animals - it really brings a meal to life.

The possibilities are endless, from bears and bunnies to cars and stars; the only limit is our imagination! It adds a playful element that encourages exploration and may even inspire some adventurous eating.

What other fun ideas do you guys have for making mealtime creative and enjoyable for the little ones? I'd love to hear some more tot-friendly food art tricks and tips!

Reactions: sportytina
Some simple yet fun ideas could involve using fruit and veggies of various colours to create a rainbow on their plates, or even making smiley faces out of nearly anything with some strategic placements of raisins or other round foods for the eyes and mouth.

For something more interactive, you could try DIY sushi! Use cooked rice shaped into balls or mini igloos and let the little ones add their favourite toppings - a great way to encourage those fine motor skills too.

Another idea is to create a "build your own" mini pizza where they can choose from various healthy toppings on different coloured sauces. They get to make their own fun creation and also learn about making healthy choices.

Not only does this kind of eating make mealtime fun, but it also encourages toddlers to explore and develop their sensory and fine motor skills, which is a wonderful bonus!

Reactions: cissy
I'm all about making mealtimes fun and engaging for toddlers! It's amazing how creative one can get with food, especially when shaped into familiar objects like animals - it really brings a meal to life.

The possibilities are endless, from bears and bunnies to cars and stars; the only limit is our imagination! It adds a playful element that encourages exploration and may even inspire some adventurous eating.

What other fun ideas do you guys have for making mealtime creative and enjoyable for the little ones? I'd love to hear some more tot-friendly food art tricks and tips!
Mealtimes can be made exciting with a bit of creativity! Shaping foods into characters, animals, or simple shapes like stars and hearts can be done with various ingredients. Fruit and veggies can be carved, sliced, or diced into cute shapes that toddlers will love!

Using different colored foods is another simple way to make meals more intriguing. Colorful peppers, carrots, or even a bright plate of blueberry pancakes can create a vibrant and appealing meal.

For a more hands-on experience, tot-friendly finger foods like rice crackers or tiny,可爱 fruit and veggie "kabobs" are fun to eat and simple to prepare. These colorful skewers would entice any toddler, and they get to enjoy the excitement of picking and eating them!

Another idea is creating themed meals based on their favorite characters. Maybe a " Elmo"-themed meal or one centered around their favorite colors could also spark joy and curiosity! Keeping it interactive, fun, and engaging ensures mealtimes become an enjoyable routine rather than a battlefront.

Some great ideas here! I especially love the themed meal concept - so much room for creativity. And it's amazing how something as simple as shaping food into different shapes can make such a difference!

I've found that toddler feeding success is often about finding what works and running with it, repetition is key too so having a few go-to tricks is helpful!

totally agree - once you find something your kiddo likes, just stick with it! And shaped foods are such an easy win - why didn’t we think of them earlier, hey?! I feel like a themed meal approach would work well for fussy eaters too - might help encourage some adventure with food...

totally agree - once you find something your kiddo likes, just stick with it! And shaped foods are such an easy win - why didn’t we think of them earlier, hey?! I feel like a themed meal approach would work well for fussy eaters too - might help encourage some adventure with food...
You're right about finding what works and sticking to it! It's fascinating how shaped foods can make such a huge difference in getting toddlers to eat healthily.

Themed meals are an excellent trick to keep things interesting and varied, especially for fussier eaters. Creating an exciting meal centered around their favorite themes is definitely worth a shot and could help open them up to new foods and experiences. Who knows, we might even inspire the next junior masterchef!

• Love
Reactions: wisdom
You're right about finding what works and sticking to it! It's fascinating how shaped foods can make such a huge difference in getting toddlers to eat healthily.

Themed meals are an excellent trick to keep things interesting and varied, especially for fussier eaters. Creating an exciting meal centered around their favorite themes is definitely worth a shot and could help open them up to new foods and experiences. Who knows, we might even inspire the next junior masterchef!
mealtimes can be a fun and tasty adventure with some imagination and creativity. Here's to happy and healthy eating!

That's so true! Making meal times fun is an excellent way to encourage healthy eating habits, and it's a great opportunity to bond with our little ones too. Imagination and creativity certainly go a long way!

What are some of your favourite themed meals or fun food ideas you've created for your little ones? I'll start - I once made a "Space Pasta" for my son, with spiral pasta, tiny star-shaped noodles and some alien shaped chicken nuggets! He loved it, and it was such a fun mealtime memory.

How creative! I love the idea of Space Pasta!

My daughter loves anything princess-themed, so I often make pink strawberry smoothies served in her favorite princess cup, which we call "Princess Pink Drink". It's a hit every time and she feels so fancy drinking it too. I also like to add some hidden vegetables, like cauliflower or spinach, for an extra nutritional boost. The strawberries disguise the green colour really well!

That's such a clever way to make mealtime fun and nutritious! I'm sure the Princess Pink Drink is a real treat, and it's awesome that you can sneak some veggies in too. Creative mom win! 😊👏

Thank you so much!! I try to make it fun because she seems to think it's a big treat and actually eats better when I do. And yesss, mom wins when she doesn't realize it's full of veggies 😂 haha! It's always exciting to find ways to healthily spoil our little ones, especially with how picky they can be!

• Haha
Reactions: sunflower

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu