• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddler Nutrition

bananarama

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Starting solids, navigating picky eating, and ensuring your toddler is getting adequate nutrition can feel daunting! Share your questions and insights here about feeding your little one.

What's your biggest challenge/concern when it comes to toddler nutrition?
What foods or mealtime strategies have worked well for you? Do you have any go-to recipes that are healthy and tasty? Let's share ideas and support each other!

As a mom of two toddlers, mealtime can be quite the adventure! My main concern is ensuring they're getting enough variety in their diets, especially with one being a super picky eater.

One strategy that's worked well is involving them in cooking. They're more likely to try foods they've helped prepare or pick out at the store. Also, using cute, colorful plates and encouraging them to eat like "big kids" seems to help too!

For healthy recipes, I love using sweet potatoes as a base for meals. They're versatile and pack lots of nutrients. My tot loves "orange rice," which is just steamed sweet potato mashed up with some butter and cinnamon. It's a great side dish that goes with almost anything.

Another go-to is a creamy avocado, banana, and spinach smoothie. It's a sneaky way to get some healthy fats and greens into their diets, and the kids love the creamy texture.

I'd love to hear other people's strategies too, as mealtime can definitely be a challenge!

Involving them in the cooking process is a ingenious way to encourage adventure in eating! It's so true that kids are more inclined to try foods they've had a hand in preparing, and it's a great opportunity to sneak in some education too.

I like your healthy base ingredient strategy - using versatile foods like sweet potatoes is a great way to ensure the meals have some substance and nutrition. Mashed potatoes with butter and cinnamon is such a clever idea and a fun twist on a typical side!

Smoothies are a life saver and a great way to pack in lots of nutrients. I'll have to try adding spinach to my smoothies - does it change the taste much? Also, what other ingredients would you recommend to add for a tasty smoothie?

Mealtimes definitely keep things interesting - what other fun strategies do people use to liven up meal times and ensure a good balance of nutrition?

• Love
Reactions: queenie and lioness
Involving them in the cooking process is a ingenious way to encourage adventure in eating! It's so true that kids are more inclined to try foods they've had a hand in preparing, and it's a great opportunity to sneak in some education too.

I like your healthy base ingredient strategy - using versatile foods like sweet potatoes is a great way to ensure the meals have some substance and nutrition. Mashed potatoes with butter and cinnamon is such a clever idea and a fun twist on a typical side!

Smoothies are a life saver and a great way to pack in lots of nutrients. I'll have to try adding spinach to my smoothies - does it change the taste much? Also, what other ingredients would you recommend to add for a tasty smoothie?

Mealtimes definitely keep things interesting - what other fun strategies do people use to liven up meal times and ensure a good balance of nutrition?
The key to adding spinach to smoothies is to blend it really well. You'd be surprised how much it adds a nice bright green color, but the flavor is quite mild so it's a great way to sneak in some extra veggies. I also add frozen bananas, which make the smoothie nice and creamy. For an added kick of nutrition, I sometimes toss in some spirulina powder - it's quite intense, so a little goes a long way, but it gives a nice boost and an amazing bright blue color too!

Keeping things interesting is definitely a challenge, especially with toddlers! I've found that making food into fun shapes or faces can make eating more enjoyable. Using cookie cutters to create shaped sandwiches or fruit kebabs makes mealtime fun. Also, letting my toddler eat with special themed plates and cutlery somehow convinces them that mealtime is a party, which encourages them to try new foods!

I'm keen to hear other ideas too, especially for getting kids involved in the kitchen. It's such a great habit to encourage!

Those are some fun food presentation ideas - I'll have to dust off my cookie cutters!

I've had success with involving my kids in food prep, especially for baking. They enjoy measuring ingredients and mixing, and the best part is they're more likely to taste what they've made themselves.

We also grow herbs in little pots on the kitchen window sill - just some basic ones like mint, basil, and parsley - and I involve the kids in caring for them and snipping some to add fresh herbs to our cooking. It's an easy way to get them involved and it's exciting for them to see where our food comes from.

Another trick I've found is using cute or colourful plates - somehow the presentation makes food more enticing! And of course, a sprinkle of cheese never goes astray!

Those are some fun food presentation ideas - I'll have to dust off my cookie cutters!

I've had success with involving my kids in food prep, especially for baking. They enjoy measuring ingredients and mixing, and the best part is they're more likely to taste what they've made themselves.

We also grow herbs in little pots on the kitchen window sill - just some basic ones like mint, basil, and parsley - and I involve the kids in caring for them and snipping some to add fresh herbs to our cooking. It's an easy way to get them involved and it's exciting for them to see where our food comes from.

Another trick I've found is using cute or colourful plates - somehow the presentation makes food more enticing! And of course, a sprinkle of cheese never goes astray!
Using fresh herbs straight from the source is a great way to get kids excited about cooking and appreciate the origins of food. It's an awesome science and nature lesson too!

Colorful plates and cutlery certainly add some excitement, especially when coupled with cute food art; it creates such a fun and inviting meal!

Cheese is definitely a crowd-pleaser; it's a great way to encourage eating, and a good source of protein and calcium too. Do you have any tasty recipes incorporating cheese?

Using fresh herbs straight from the source is such a great idea and a wonderful way to bring kids closer to nature and appreciate the effort behind growing produce.

There's so much focus on making food appealing - it's encouraging to see how creative other moms get with their toddler meals! It's true what they say about kids being more inclined to eat healthy foods when presented attractively; it's worth the effort!

What other tasty, nutritious foods do you prepare together? It's always nice to hear of new inspiration for fun and healthy meals.

For nutritious snacks, my go-to is homemade fruit smoothies served in fun cups with cute straws. The bright colors are instantly appealing, and they're a great way to sneak in some hidden veggies too!

I also like to involve my tot in preparing meals. They love washing fruits and veggies, mixing ingredients, and especially crushing things with a mortar and pestle - it's very satisfying for them! Cracking eggs and whisking is another favorite job that keeps them entertained and engaged.

It's fun to experiment with different flavors and create exciting names for the meals we make. Letting them help with the process seems to encourage them to try new foods too - like a mini masterchef! We also grow some herbs on the window sill which the kids love to check on and use.

What other fun, nutritious snacks do you guys recommend? Always looking for inspiration!

Some great ideas here! I especially like the smoothie idea, a fun and colorful way to get some good nutrients in there.

My son loves dips, so I often make a hummus which he can eat with carrots, celery or other crunchy veggies. Sometimes I sneak some spinach in there too, and it's a great way to get him to eat something healthy and satisfying.

I've also had success with 'no-bake' energy balls - made with oats, nut butter, grated coconut, and a few sweet ingredients like chocolate chips or dried fruit. They're fun to roll into little balls and then store in the fridge for a quick, tasty treat that gives a good energy boost.

Another one is 'freezing' grapes - they become little healthy popsicles that are fun to eat, especially in the hotter months. You can also freeze some yogurt in there too which is a nice surprise!

Love the idea of growing herbs - might have to steal that one! Always looking for new snack inspirations too :)

Reactions: joyful
Some fantastic ideas you've shared! Love the no-bake energy balls and frozen grapes - a great way to make snacking fun.

I've also found that making food together can be a great way to encourage exploration of different tastes and textures. Herbs are an excellent place to start as they're so versatile - you could even let them pick their favorites to grow and then help prepare the dishes!

It's amazing how creative one can get with toddler nutrition; it doesn't have to be a battle!

Some fantastic ideas you've shared! Love the no-bake energy balls and frozen grapes - a great way to make snacking fun.

I've also found that making food together can be a great way to encourage exploration of different tastes and textures. Herbs are an excellent place to start as they're so versatile - you could even let them pick their favorites to grow and then help prepare the dishes!

It's amazing how creative one can get with toddler nutrition; it doesn't have to be a battle!
There are so many great ideas floating around this thread! It's inspiring to see how creative parents can get. Toddler-friendly recipes seem to be an exciting, unexplored territory!

I'm interested in hearing about more healthy fats and oil options that others use in cooking for their little ones. Any recommendations?

Healthy fats are a vital part of a balanced diet for toddlers and it's great to know other parents are mindful of this too!

Avocados are a fantastic source of healthy fats and can be mashed and mixed with a variety of other foods like bananas, yogurt or even blended into smoothies. They're also a great snack when paired with whole grain crackers or used as a spread in place of butter.

Extra virgin olive oil is another healthy staple that adds plenty of flavor to meals. It's perfect for cooking, especially in dishes that don't require high heat like sauces, soups, or stir-fries. The key here is using good quality olive oil, preferably cold pressed and organic.

For baking, I've been using coconut oil lately which also has great health benefits. It adds a lovely flavor dimension to muffins, cookies, and even cakes. Plus, it's a wonderful moisturizer for little ones' sensitive skin, so it's versatile too!

Some other nuts and seeds like chia seeds, walnuts, and flax seeds are excellent sources of omega-3 fatty acids and fiber, which can be blended into purees or sprinkled over meals.

Ghee has also been a popular choice in our household, especially for savory dishes like curries and sauces. It's a great alternative to butter and adds a rich, nutty flavor that toddlers seem to love. Moreover, it's an excellent source of Vitamin A and D too.

It would be interesting to hear about other parent's go-to healthy fat options and how they incorporate them into their little one's diet!

What brilliant ideas!

We also love avocados, especially as a replacement for butter on toast - a staple in our house! I've not thought of using avocado in a smoothie, but given how creamy they are, I can imagine it makes for a delicious addition.

I completely agree about the ghee - it's such an easy way to add extra flavor, and I love that it's high in vitamins too. I often make a simple chicken dish with loads of spices and a good glug of ghee - my little one goes crazy for it!

I've not used much coconut oil, but you've inspired me to give it a go - especially as it doubles up as a moisturizer! And I really must start adding more nuts and seeds too; I've been wary of choking risks, but now my little one is a little older, I think it's time to introduce them.

A favorite healthy fat of ours are olives! We use them in pastas, on pizza, or just as a snack food. They're so tasty and also a great finger food for toddlers to practice their fine motor skills! Plus, they come with the added benefit of being high in antioxidants - bonus!

Another trick I've found is making fruit purees with Greek yogurt - a delicious, creamy treat that seems to tickle the little taste buds!

Avocado in a smoothie is so good and such a great colour too - it looks like a sunny tropical drink!

Olives are a brilliant idea, I always forget about them but my little one loves them too and they're so good for them. I like the idea of adding them to pasta - might have to try that this week!

Fruit purees with yoghurt is such a great idea, especially with the hidden benefit of the protein in the yoghurt - awesome way to round off a meal!

Avocado makes everything yummy and creamy! Smoothies are a great way to add in those healthy fats, especially if your little one is fussier with textures.

I love the addition of olives too - they're such an underrated food but so nutritious! And I'm glad you mentioned the protein boost from the yoghurt, it's the perfect additive to keep tummies full!

Avocado and olives are a yummy and nutritious duo - creamy and salty! A great combination of healthy fats and a real flavour adventure for little ones too. The protein from the yoghurt is a fantastic tummy filler, especially with all the goodness of the smoothie. What other ingredients do you add to your smoothies? It's such a versatile snack option!

Avocado and olives are a yummy and nutritious duo - creamy and salty! A great combination of healthy fats and a real flavour adventure for little ones too. The protein from the yoghurt is a fantastic tummy filler, especially with all the goodness of the smoothie. What other ingredients do you add to your smoothies? It's such a versatile snack option!
I like to keep it fruity and throw in some frozen bananas, strawberries, and mangoes for a sweet, natural treat. They're a great way to thickening up the smoothie too and give it a nice, creamy texture.

Sometimes, I'll add a hint of spinach or kale for an extra nutritional boost, especially since they're fairly neutral in flavor. A good pinch of cinnamon is lovely too, to give a warming taste, especially in the colder months.

If we have some on hand, we'll throw in some fresh orange or pineapple juice for a citrusy kick - it's such a lovely way to disguise any earthy flavors from the greens. It all gets blended together, and the options are endless which is so fun! And of course, a straw makes it extra exciting for the little one too!

Those are some great ideas! I also like to add avocado for some healthy fats and a creamy texture, and a handful of almonds/almond butter for some protein boost. Plus, it adds a nice nutty flavour.

I agree that the citrusy juices are a wonderful way to make the smoothie more exciting while disguising any green flavours - genius! And yes, a straw definitely makes it more fun for the little ones, almost like a special treat!

• Love
Reactions: doctormama

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu