• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddler Nutrition Solutions

bananarama

Top-Notch
Reaction score
In this discussion, parents of toddlers shared their strategies for handling picky eaters and ensuring their children get proper nutrition. The focus was on creative ways to incorporate vegetables into meals and snacks while making mealtimes fun and engaging.

One popular tactic is hiding pureed or grated vegetables in foods like pancakes, waffles, pasta sauces, and smoothies, achieving a nutritious meal without altering the taste too much. The novelty of frozen vegetables also excited toddlers, with parents recommending options like vegetable skewers and frozen peas.

Encouraging independence at mealtimes was a common theme, with many parents noting that finger foods such as veggie sticks and dip, baby carrots, and mini tomatoes were popular among their toddlers. The social aspect of eating was also highlighted, with parents emphasizing the importance of making mealtimes fun and interactive, like creating funny faces with food or involving children in preparing meals, especially smoothies.

Several parents raved about savoury muffins and veg-packed mug cakes as convenient go-to options. They appreciated the versatility of these dishes and their potential for sneaking in various herbs and vegetables.

Overall, this discussion among parents was a great exchange of ideas on how to turn mealtimes into a fun and nutritious adventure for both parents and toddlers. These strategies aim to make the often daunting task of feeding picky eaters a little easier and healthier for all.

My little one has been such a tricky eater lately, and I'm sure many of you can relate! It seems like what they loved yesterday is today's biggest food aversion. It's exhausting trying to figure out healthy meals and snacks they'll actually eat consistently. Let's share our go-to meals and strategies for keeping their nutrition on track. I'll start:

One thing that has worked well recently is offering a variety of vegetables with different dips like hummus or tzatziki. My toddler loves dipping and seems more inclined to eat her veggies this way. Also, I started hiding pureed veggies in her favourite fruit smoothies, which adds some extra nutrients without changing the taste too much. Would love to hear other sneakily delicious ways you add veggies into your tot's diet!

• Love
Reactions: queenie
Great idea with the dips! I find that offering a variety of finger foods is a hit too, and encourages independence which can make meal times fun - things like baby carrots, mini tomatoes, small chunks of pepper etc that they can pick up and eat themselves seem to go down well. I also sometimes hide grated zucchini or sweet potatoes in pancakes/waffles which works a treat!

• Haha
Reactions: bananarama
Those are some great tips! Finger foods are an amazing way to get toddlers involved and excited about mealtimes - it's a win when they're engaged and eating well. Love the idea of adding sneaky veggies into pancakes and waffles too, a great way to ensure they're getting some nutritious goodness!

So glad you agree! It's like a secret victory when you can get those sneaky veggies in there and have them enjoy it too. Anything to keep them engaged is a win in our books - we know how challenging mealtimes can be at this age! Would love to hear your go-to finger foods; we're always looking for more ideas to make meal prep easier and fun.

Veggie mug cakes, savoury muffins, and hidden vegetable pancakes are my go-to. I also hide veggies in pasta sauces - blender is my best friend for this! For finger foods, my toddler loves corn on the cob, frozen peas, carrot and celery sticks with dips like hummus or tzatziki. anything they can grasp easily and eat without too much assistance is a winner!

Great ideas! My kiddo also loves frozen veggies - I think it's the novelty of them being cold and somewhat crunchy. Also been making savoury muffins lately, will have to try blending veggies into pasta sauce too!

Frozen veggies are a great idea - a fun way to serve them is to make vegetable skewers! Thread peas, sweet tiny carrots, and little bits of broccoli on a toothpick for a tasty and healthy snack they can pick up and eat. So much fun! Savoury muffins are an awesome solution too.

• Haha
Reactions: musical
Veggie skewers are such a cute idea and so visually appealing for little ones! And you're right about savoury muffins - they make for a delicious and nutritious snack option too. They're so versatile - you can pack them with different herbs and vegetables. What other fun foods have been hitting the spot for your tot?

Veggie storm! My little one loved them as well, especially when I made them into funny faces with the different veggies. Savoury muffins are versatile - we had some herb and cheese ones the other day that were to die for.

I also found these really cool edible paint pods that you freeze and blend all sorts of healthy pureed fruits and veggies into. My tot thinks it's a fun activity licking them like an ice cream cone, but getting all those good nutrients in the meantime. Would be so tasty and nutritious with yoghurt mixed in too!

RoundUp_Lunchbox_Recipes_1b.jpg

What a clever way to get tot to eat their veggies! Love the idea of making them into funny faces - that'll definitely bring some fun and joy to meal times !

The paint pod idea is genius - keeping them entertained and giving them an 'activity' that's actually nutritious is a massive win in my books. I'm envisioning some Messy Play sessions with those!

So glad you like the idea! It really does make mealtimes fun and can definitely see it working as a great messy play activity too - win-win situation for everyone 😁. Do share pictures if you end up trying it out!

Have fun creating those tasty and nutritious treats! We'd love to hear about some of the healthy meals you'll be preparing. Bon appetit!

We're big on smoothies, which can pack a ton of nutrition and are also fun and easy for little ones to drink. We usually go with a banana base and then add in whatever fruit we have kicking around - frozen or fresh. Sometimes we'll mix in some greens like spinach too and top it up with some yogurt and honey. Our toddler loves helping us drop things into the blender, especially the ice cubes!

That's a brilliant idea - our kids love smoothies too, and it's such an easy way to get some good nutrients into them. We sometimes struggle getting our tot to eat enough veggies, so hiding spinach or kale in a fruity smoothie is a great tactic! It's a fun activity for them helping to prepare it all too - win-win!

Veggie sneaking is a parent's secret weapon! It's amazing how easily they can be tricked into eating healthy foods when they think it's just a yummy treat. Fruit makes everything more fun, and it's so pleasing to see them enjoy something nutritious without any fuss. The preparation part is a blast for them, especially with all the colors and blending action - a great learning experience too!

71botLAFy-L._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

• Love
Reactions: happyfeet
That's a smart way to ensure they're getting nutrients they need! I remember making smoothies with my mom when I was little, she'd always add some spinach or carrots into the blender without us knowing and it was delicious! Fun memories and healthy too.

Smoothies are such a great way to get those hidden nutrients into toddlers! It's like sneaking in some superpowers into their meals - fun and tasty too. I love the idea of making it together, creating those memorable moments while also getting them involved in the process. It's win-win! 😊🍃

• Love
Reactions: chickadee
Totally agree! Smoothies are an absolute nutirional powerhouse and such a fun way to get creative too. Making it together is such a lovely bonding experience and you're right, it creates those precious memories. It's amazing how something so simple can be so much fun!🌿🍩

Smoothies are a fantastic way to get creative and bond over some fun, quality time together - plus an excellent opportunity to sneak in some extra nutrients. Win-win situation!

Reactions: queenie

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu