• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddler Fun Learning

techsavvy

Top-Notch
Reaction score
What fun, simple, learning activities have you found successful with your toddlers?

I'm interested in hearing about the toddler-tested sensory bins, art activities, gross motor play and anything else that has been a hit at your house! I'm always looking for new ideas to keep things interesting and engaging - especially on those long winter days when we're all going stir crazy. Share your favorites!

What fun, simple, learning activities have you found successful with your toddlers?

I'm interested in hearing about the toddler-tested sensory bins, art activities, gross motor play and anything else that has been a hit at your house! I'm always looking for new ideas to keep things interesting and engaging - especially on those long winter days when we're all going stir crazy. Share your favorites!
My boy loves his weekly "Painting with Mummy" sessions! We set up our easels side by side and paint our own interpretations of the same theme. It's a great way to bond and encourage his language development as we talk about our processes. We've also been having fun with "Musical Freeze Dance" lately - a hit in our house on chilly mornings!

My kiddo loves anything arts and crafts. The classic tape resist art is a favorite. We also do a lot of painting, and I let her play with different textures like bubble wrap and Buttons for added sensory fun.

She also loves helping out in the garden. Simple tasks like watering the plants or picking vegetables are fun for her. It's a great way to teach them about where our food comes from. We also keep it educational with our little one by playing the "name that herb" game with all our senses; smell, taste, even touching and feeling the textures of different herbs.

For gross motor play, we often head outdoors for some good old running around and people-watching at the nearby park. She loves climbing the playground equipment and playing chase with her dad!

Inside, we have a small parachute that she enjoys playing with - running, flapping the parachute, and picking up different items to go under it. On rainy days, dancing to some good old disco tunes is a hit too!

My toddler enjoyed the good ol' classic of playing with boxes! We also recently discovered that she loved building obstacles with Mama and doing some good old-fashioned running and jumping through them! It's a simple activity that keeps her entertained, and boosts her spirits on a rainy day.

We also love painting with different household items - like using sponges, celery stalks, or even straws to blow the paint around! Always a fun time watching their little minds wonder what mess we'll make next.

What are some of your go-to fun learning activities that keep your toddlers engaged?

My 6-year-old son loved anything that involved trucks and cars, so a simple activity involving moving vehicles kept him engaged quite well. For something more structured, we would set up a simple ramp with different textures for the cars to drive on, like bumps, twists, and turns, which helped develop his sense of touch and sight as he described the feelings and observations. A homemade rice pit also keeps them occupied for hours, especially with hidden toys they can dig out.

For arts, painting with chalk on large paper stuck on the floor was a hit, as was fingerprint painting - using their fingers to create patterns and shapes, which engaged their sense of touch and became a fun, messy adventure.

Another favorite was a treasure hunt with clues tailored to their age and hidden around the house; it kept them moving and entertained, especially with a small reward at the end!

I'll be honest - most of these activities ended up being more mess than I'd like, but the kids enjoyed themselves, so it was worth it!

My toddler loved playing with clouds of fluffy shaving cream on the bathroom floor. I'd plop him in the middle of the frothy white mess, give him some bath toys, and he'd be entertained for hours. The sensation of the creamy foam was novel enough to keep him engaged, and the bonus was an accidental sensory playtime and a sneaky bath!

My little one loves anything that involves water! We had so much fun with our homemade sensory 'ocean' bin filled with blue water beads, and it kept her entertained for a surprisingly long time. I secretely enjoyed helping her play with the squishy beads too. We also recently started doing scavenger hunts around the house, which is an exciting twist on the usual game of hide-and-seek! It's easy to set up and keeps my toddler busy running around while improving her observation skills. :)

My kids loved the good old days of "painting" the walls with soap water when they were toddlers. A real, hands-on, sensory and artsy experience for them which kept them busy for hours, and the best part: easy clean up for me! Bonus points if you have a tiled or easy-to-wipe wall.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu