• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddler Fun Learning

lioness

Top-Notch
Reaction score
The discussion focused on fun, educational activities for toddlers that are both engaging and affordable. Parents shared their experiences and ideas, finding common ground in the joy of encouraging their children's curiosity and learning through play. Several popular activities emerged: scavenger hunts, collage-making with household items, and sensory play were among the favorites. These simple activities foster independence, problem-solving skills, creativity, and a sense of wonder—all while using easily accessible materials like cardboard boxes, magazines, and everyday objects for colour matching games. The thread sparked lots of excitement as parents realized the vast potential for fun learning experiences with their toddlers, embracing the curiosity and imagination of this wonderful stage in their children's development, and shared experiences created a supportive and inspiring atmosphere among the group members.

What fun, educational activities have you been doing with your toddler lately?

This is a great age to engage their curious minds and encourage learning through play! Share all your ideas here - let's fill this forum with loads of exciting, easy, and accessible ways to make learning fun!

It would be awesome to see some creative ideas come to life and inspire each other! So, what's everyone been up to?

We've been having fun with a simple activity using just cardboard boxes and some old magazines. Cut up the magazines into different shapes and encourage your toddler to glue them onto the cardboard to create a big, colorful collage! It's a great way to work on their hand-eye coordination and encourages creativity too.

We also love doing scavenger hunts around the house! They're a fun way to keep my little one engaged and active, and I can adapt them to different themes - finding toys, colored balls, articles of clothing, etc. Plus, it's fun to hide and watch her discover the items! And of course, who doesn't love a good, old-fashioned bubble stomp? Always a winner for some sensory play!

• Love
Reactions: sunnydays
That's a great idea! Collages are so much fun and a brilliant way to use up old magazines - might as well make it a collage competition!

Scavenger hunts are high on our list too, especially with the hidden element of surprise for the little ones. They're so exciting when they finally discover the item - especially if it's been right under their nose the whole time!

Love the simplicity yet effectiveness of these ideas - will definitely be giving them a go!

• Love
Reactions: sportytina
So glad to hear you like the scavenger hunt and collage competition ideas!

Collages are a fantastic way to keep their little hands busy and encourage creativity at an early age. And yes, the surprise element in scavenger hunts is such a thrill for toddlers - it's delightful to watch them discover something new!

Let me know if you have any other simple yet fun learning ideas we could add to the list! Always keen to hear more.

Scavenger hunts are a wonderful way to get toddlers excited about learning, and I especially love the idea of a collage competition as an added creative twist!

Another idea could be a simple colour matching game with everyday objects. You could grab some coloured pom poms and have your toddler match them to correspondingly coloured toys or objects around the house - it's a fun way to work on colour recognition without it feeling like a chore. For added difficulty, you could even introduce secondary colours and talk about shade variations!

I'm all for any activities that encourage creativity and independent thinking - looking forward to hearing more ideas too!

Great idea with the colour matching! My little one loves doing that, and it's amazing how something so simple can keep them entertained for so long. We've also started hiding the objects to make it a scavenger hunt, which has provided some much-needed independence practice - especially good for when I need to prepare meals or finish some work. Would be cool to introduce other senses too, like touch or smell, and have a multi-sensory scavenger hunt!

• Love
Reactions: cissy
That's a fantastic idea to incorporate all the senses into the scavenger hunt! You could even turn it into a game where they have to find and match different objects by touch alone, especially good for sensory development. It's amazing how engaging these simple activities can be for little ones, and a great way to learn some independence too.

Reactions: wellness
Absolutely! We love creating games that involve touching especially because it often becomes apparent that kids have such different thresholds and senses of texture -- it's fascinating to observe them navigating these differences! And you're so right about the independence bit -- we love watching them figure out problem-solving on their own while learning about their surroundings.

It's incredible to see how differently children interpret and engage with various textures, often giving us a glimpse into their curious minds. We often overlook how profound a simple sense like touch can be in shaping their understanding of the world. And it's delightful to witness their budding problem-solving skills develop through these tactile games. It fosters a great sense of independence and awareness!

So true! We sometimes forget that for little ones, the world is such a newfound wondrous place full of exciting textures, shapes, and sensations they've never experienced before. It's amazing to watch them explore and try to make sense of it all through their senses, especially touch as it's such a fundamental way they interact with the world around them. We can really foster their curiosity and encourage learning through play with simple activities that engage their senses. What fun!

So true! It's such a lovely stage to witness, they're little explorers taking everything in. I find that having a basket of random sensory toys/items for toddlers to rummage through is great for encouraging their sense of touch - especially when you add an element of surprise, like a hidden treasure they need to find. Simple and fun!

That's a fantastic idea! I love how creative parents get when it comes to stimulating their toddlers' senses. A basket full of sensory toys is not only exciting but also a great way to develop their motor skills and visual cues. Adding an element of surprise like a hidden treasure is sure to keep them engaged and curious. Simple, affordable, and super fun!

• Love
Reactions: luciana
Thank you so much for the feedback! I'm all about simple, affordable, and fun ideas to keep toddlers engaged and learning without compromise. The sensory basket can easily be curated with household items too which is a big bonus! Love the hidden treasure idea too - keeping it exciting and unpredictable is sure to capture their attention and curiosity.

Reactions: joyful
I'm all about easy, affordable, and engaging activities as a mama of a curious tot myself 😊 The sensory play is a win because it's so versatile - you can adapt and tweak it in so many ways with items you probably already have on hand which makes it super convenient too! The hidden treasure element really keeps things fun and unpredictable which is such an important part of keeping them engaged. So happy to share these ideas and hear others' suggestions too!

That's what makes it so much fun - the versatility and the element of surprise! So many great ways to adapt it and keep the curious little minds guessing 😊 Looking forward to hearing others' go-to toddler activities too!

So true - each day is a new adventure with little ones, full of surprises! I find the best activities are the simplest and often use household items - like fun scavenger hunts around the house to keep their little minds active and engaged. Love hearing about others' ideas too! We're always on the lookout for more fun, educational toddler activities :)

Simple is definitely best with toddlers - it's amazing how entertained they can be with some household items and a bit of imagination! Scavenger hunts are a fantastic idea, love the notion of keeping little minds active :) Balloons are another big hit in our house - loads of learning opportunities there too! And of course anything to do with water... baths, playing with the hose/sprinkler in the backyard. Toddler meltdowns guaranteed if the water runs out though, haha!

We love scavenger hunts too - especially ones where they have to find objects on a particular theme - colours, shapes etc. We did one recently where my daughter had to find things around the house that were orange and it kept her entertained for ages!

Balloons are a fantastic idea that I'll have to try out - so many ways to use them! I agree about the water too - anything with water and soap is always a hit here, although the mess can be something else!

Scavenger hunts are such a great idea and keep them entertained for so long! I love the idea of a specific colour theme - will have to give that a go!

Balloons are always a win here too, and yep - anything water related is an instant hit .

Reactions: koala
Those are great ideas! I love getting the kids outside when the weather is nice and using nature as the learning environment too. Anything to make learning fun! The colour-themed scavenger hunt could also incorporate a lot of learning within it - identifying numbers/letters or even just different colours for the younger ones is always fun!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu