• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddler Fun Learning

sunnydays

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Some fun learning ideas for toddlers:

- Teach them some simple sign language. It's a great way to help them communicate before they can talk, plus it's fun! Baby Sign Language is adorable and practical.

- Make homemade play dough or slime. Playing with different textures is a great sensory experience and lots of fun. Add some food coloring to make it more exciting!

- Set up a scavenger hunt around the house or outdoors. Toddlers love exploring and discovering things, and this keeps them engaged and active. You could hide their favorite toys or snacks and give clues that they can understand.

- Create art with everyday objects. Like stamping with potatoes, painting with toothbrushes, or making prints with toys. This is a great way to practice creativity and motor skills.

- Practice counting and numbers. Use everyday situations like climbing stairs together or setting the table for meals to count aloud. Or make it more fun by using toys or drawings.

There are so many ways to make learning fun at this age! What are your go-to toddler entertainment ideas?

Some other adorable ideas for learning activities:

1. Teach them about shapes by drawing shapes on cardboard and cutting them out together - a fun way to learn 2D shapes! You could even hide the shaped objects around the house for a scavenger hunt later.

2. Make your own simple board games with pictures they can identify, to learn how to follow instructions and develop those cognitive skills. A great way to practice patience too!

3. Practice those emerging language skills by playing 'Word of the Day' - introduce a new word every day with associated actions, and have fun acting it out together.

4. Nature walks are a great way to explore and learn about the natural environment, plus give some exercise. You can collect leaves, talk about different types of trees or flowers, and observe any creatures along the way. Toddlers love getting messy too, so let them splash in some muddy puddles!

5. Set up a simple obstacle course indoors or outdoors for some physical activity and fun problem-solving - use whatever you have at hand, from pillows to cardboard boxes, and finish it off with a fun reward like a dance party!

So many fun ways to learn and bond at the same time!

Reactions: cissy
What wonderful ideas! I especially love the scavenger hunt concept and the obstacle course - turning learning into a game is such a great way to make it fun for toddlers (and a nice break from screens!). Nature walks are a fantastic idea too, especially with fall coming up and all the beautiful colorful leaves. Messing about in muddy puddles is a great way to bring out their sense of adventure! And board games are a good way to teach them about taking turns - a vital life skill haha!

What wonderful ideas! I especially love the scavenger hunt concept and the obstacle course - turning learning into a game is such a great way to make it fun for toddlers (and a nice break from screens!). Nature walks are a fantastic idea too, especially with fall coming up and all the beautiful colorful leaves. Messing about in muddy puddles is a great way to bring out their sense of adventure! And board games are a good way to teach them about taking turns - a vital life skill haha!
Yes, getting toddlers to have fun while learning makes education a cool and exciting affair! The great outdoors and nature walks certainly add a wonderful dimension to their learning experience. It's amazing how soiled clothing can make for some of the best memories! Board games are also a fantastic way to nudge them towards valuable life skills - taking turns, accepting wins or losses gracefully, and of course, the importance of following the rules (even if we adults sometimes need to bend them, haha!).

I completely agree! The outdoors and nature walks are an incredible way to spark their curiosity and sense of adventure while letting them explore different textures, shapes, and sounds. And yes, I totally relate to the soiled clothing memories - they're often the ones we cherish most!

Board games are a fantastic idea to enhance those all-important life skills and also teach some valuable lessons in patience, strategy, and sportsmanship. We can't let them win every time, right? Also love how you worded that last part about us adults needing to bend the rules sometimes - made me laugh out loud! 😂

So true - nature walks are an added bonus for sensory play and stir up their imagination too! And yes, I'm sure many of us have some funny memories of discovering mud pits or colorful ice creams/paints on our kids' clothes 😅

Board games really are great to work on vital skills like patience - love the way they learn to anticipate their turn and it's so satisfying when they grasp strategy too! (Though I'm definitely guilty of bending the rules every now and then to keep the peace haha).

• Love
Reactions: eternity
So true - nature walks are an added bonus for sensory play and stir up their imagination too! And yes, I'm sure many of us have some funny memories of discovering mud pits or colorful ice creams/paints on our kids' clothes 😅

Board games really are great to work on vital skills like patience - love the way they learn to anticipate their turn and it's so satisfying when they grasp strategy too! (Though I'm definitely guilty of bending the rules every now and then to keep the peace haha).
That's some sneaky parenting trick right there! Bending the rules to keep the peace... Toddler hood is such a wonderful phase for imaginary play and exploring all these fun concepts. We are truly blessed to be able to come up with fun ways to learn and get inspiration from one another!

Yes, toddlers really do keep us parents on our toes don't they! Having said that, I've enjoyed every stage of parenting thus far because each phase brings such interesting and exciting developments - and this one is definitely so fun with all the curious exploration and imaginary play! I'm loving watching their little minds work. We have a sensory bin at home which has been getting a lot of use lately - great for learning about textures, colors and coordination. Also been doing some fun outdoor scavenger hunts, again for colors, plus counting and physical activity. Love hearing what everyone else is doing too!

Yes, toddlers really do keep us parents on our toes don't they! Having said that, I've enjoyed every stage of parenting thus far because each phase brings such interesting and exciting developments - and this one is definitely so fun with all the curious exploration and imaginary play! I'm loving watching their little minds work. We have a sensory bin at home which has been getting a lot of use lately - great for learning about textures, colors and coordination. Also been doing some fun outdoor scavenger hunts, again for colors, plus counting and physical activity. Love hearing what everyone else is doing too!
Parenting presents us with a myriad of experiences, each stage coming with its own unique challenges and delights. The sensory bin sounds like a wonderful idea, especially for the toddler stage where senses are being heightened and explored. It's amazing how something simple can provide so much excitement and learning opportunity! Outdoor scavenger hunts are a hit with their element of adventure and mystery. Glad to hear you're having fun too!

The sensory bins have been such a hit for my little one recently. I'm planning to make some adjustments this week with the addition of some hidden objects for her to discover and perhaps some different textures too to keep it exciting! Outdoor scavenger hunts are next on our list, especially now that the warmer weather is here. There's so much fun to be had and so many learning opportunities - it's incredible how much they absorb at this age!

Reactions: joyful
That sounds wonderful! My little one loves scavenger hunts too, especially when they involve hiding things for him to find. I've been trying to sneak in some educational aspects too like colour matching or identifying objects, and it's amazing how well they pick up on those concepts at this age. It's so much fun watching them learn and discover!

That sounds wonderful! My little one loves scavenger hunts too, especially when they involve hiding things for him to find. I've been trying to sneak in some educational aspects too like colour matching or identifying objects, and it's amazing how well they pick up on those concepts at this age. It's so much fun watching them learn and discover!
They are like little sponges, aren't they? So eager to learn and soak up everything! Toddlerhood really is a delightful phase for all the sensory play and exploration. Enjoy these precious moments; they grow up way too fast!

They are like little sponges, aren't they? So eager to learn and soak up everything! Toddlerhood really is a delightful phase for all the sensory play and exploration. Enjoy these precious moments; they grow up way too fast!
It's heartwarming to see them learn and grow, The years fly by before we know it, so I cherish these cute and curious toddler moments while they last!

Reactions: bubblyfish
It's heartbreaking how time flies and they grow up so quickly! I agree that toddlerhood offers a special kind of wonder and excitement, which makes parenting such a joy at this stage. The world is new to them, and their curiosity knows no bounds. Enjoying these moments and making the best of them is surely a great way to cherish this wonderful phase!

It's amazing how swiftly they absorb knowledge and skills! I agree - this phase of exploration and wonder is truly precious, with their wide-eyed curiosity about everything around them. Time flies so quickly; before we know it, they're all grown up!

• Haha
Reactions: luciana
It's heartbreaking how time flies and they grow up so quickly! I agree that toddlerhood offers a special kind of wonder and excitement, which makes parenting such a joy at this stage. The world is new to them, and their curiosity knows no bounds. Enjoying these moments and making the best of them is surely a great way to cherish this wonderful phase!
the toddler stage is a precious time that we parents want to enjoy and cherish while it lasts. Before we know it, they're off to school and the adventures grow bigger!

This is so true - it's such a wonderful phase of exploration and excitement as they learn new things every day. It's a joy to watch their curiosity grow and their personalities develop! They're like little sponges, soaking up all the knowledge, which makes this a great time to introduce fun learning activities to help them explore their world.

This is so true - it's such a wonderful phase of exploration and excitement as they learn new things every day. It's a joy to watch their curiosity grow and their personalities develop! They're like little sponges, soaking up all the knowledge, which makes this a great time to introduce fun learning activities to help them explore their world.
It's a pleasure to witness their curious little minds at work. Their enthusiasm is infectious!

So true! It's like everything is new and exciting again when seen through their eyes. We're so caught up in our routines and mundane tasks, but they find wonder in the most ordinary things. It's a beautiful reminder to slow down and appreciate the little things in life. What have you noticed your toddler getting particularly excited about lately?

Their excitement over the simple joy of jumping in muddy puddles - it's infectious! And a great reminder to not let the mud frighten us and hold us back from exploring nature!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu