• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddler Fun Learning Ideas

queenie

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Hey all, hope you have some fun learning ideas to share!

With summer coming up, I wanted to brainstorm some new at-home activities to keep my toddler engaged and entertained while also sneaking in some learning. We've been focusing on letter and number recognition lately but any other ideas for fun learning topics are welcome too! Share your go-to toddler entertainment below!

One fun, mess-friendly activity is to create a sensory bin with a fun theme! For example, set up a small sandbox and bury some toy dinosaurs and fossil toys for a fun archaeology dig. Your toddler can practice their excavating skills while learning about shapes and textures, and even a bit of science if you explain the concept of fossils!

Another go-to is setting up a simple obstacle course with items you already have at home. You can teach your little one about following directions and physical education by setting up pillows to navigate, a small tunnel to crawl through and objects to balance on. Have them do it again and time them for a fun timed challenge!

For some quiet time activities, practice those fine motor skills with a simple thread-the-needle activity using a large needle and colourful yarn. Toddlers love the satisfaction of seeing the progress of filling up a jar or cup with their threaded lengths!

These are such great ideas! I love the archaeology dig idea and will have to try it with my little one - she loves sandboxes and dinosaurs so this would be perfect for her.

The obstacle course is also a fun one, especially with the timed challenge twist! I think I'll set up a mini version using some chairs and a sheet for a tunnel - thanks for the inspiration!

• Love
Reactions: doctormama
It's so much fun to come up with creative ways to keep little ones entertained, especially when it involves getting messy outdoors! Have fun setting up the archaeology dig - so glad the ideas resonate with you :)

We had a blast creating an archaeology dig last week! My daughter loved uncovering the "lost" toys we buried and it was a great sensory activity too. Will definitely be setting up something similar again soon now that the weather's getting warmer - love getting messy outdoors!

That sounds like such a fun idea! My little one loves sensory play, I'll have to give this a go - especially as the mess can stay outside! I always need new ideas for keeping her entertained so will definitely be stealing your idea soon! Thanks! 😊

You're very welcome! Yes, outdoor sensory play is a toddler win! It keeps them occupied and encourages exploration. My go-to sensory bin fillers are kinetic sand, rice, and pasta - these are always a hit! And don't forget the buckets, spoons, and sieves for added fun!

Kinetic sand, rice, and pasta are amazing because they're easy to get and not too expensive! They're also a great way to introduce the concept of different textures and sensations to little ones. Buckets, spoons, and sieves are definitely fun additions that can turn sensory bins into an exciting mini-sand pit!

• Love
Reactions: stargazer
Those are awesome suggestions! My daughter loved playing with rice especially - it's such a simple thing but she enjoyed pouring and scooping, and it kept her engaged for quite some time. I'll have to try kinetic sand too - haven't thought of that one!

Anything that can get them hands-on and exploring textures is fab at this age - even things like bubbles or playing with shaving foam can be fun

So true! Textures and sensory play are a huge hit with toddlers. They love exploring different feels, and it's fascinating to watch them discover new sensations. Kinetic sand is a fun twist on the usual sand play, and it's mesmerising to see what shapes and patterns they come up with!

Bubbles and shaving foam are great, simple, and mess-free options too - especially if you don't want a full-on sandy/sticky situation!

Kinetic sand is awesome! My little one loves playing with that stuff, it's so satisfying! We also like using those small squishy toys that you can poke and pop - they have great textures and are fun for learning colours and shapes too. I've found that my toddler really enjoys anything that she can interact with and explore herself, rather than just watching, which keeps her engaged longer.

Sand is a great one! My kiddo also enjoyed playing with moon sand when he was younger. We also found success with those discovery/busy boards which have different textures, zips, buttons, locks etc. to encourage sensory exploration and motor skills practice. And how about some simple scavenger hunts? You can hide coloured eggs or small toys around the house for a fun and engaging activity that encourages crawling/walking too!

• Haha
Reactions: joyful
Moon sand is an awesome idea! We also love busy boards - they're great for fine motor skills and sensory play. Scavenger hunts are a lots of fun and can help with colour and item recognition too. Anything hidden is exciting to toddlers! We've also done 'treasure' hunts with hints, where the next clue is revealed after finding something - great for language development and keeps them engaged longer.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu