• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddler Fun Learning Activities

koala

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Hey everyone, here's a place to share fun, educational activities for toddlers!

With so many of us spending more time at home, I thought it would be great to have a dedicated thread to share ideas for keeping our little ones engaged and learning.

Feel free to share your go-to toddler activities - the messier, the better! Let's fill this thread with fun ideas that will keep our toddlers entertained and learning.

I'll start: Have you tried the classic baking soda and vinegar experiment? It's a huge hit in our house! The fizzing action is so exciting for little ones and it's such an easy setup. Bonus: It's also a great way to sneak in some science education!

A fun activity that my toddler loves is an indoor scavenger hunt! You can hide small toys or objects around the room and give your little one a bucket or basket to collect them all into. It keeps them engaged and is a fun way to practice their listening skills and following directions.

You could even make it more educational by giving them clues to find certain colors or shapes, or identifying the names of the objects as they pick them up. And of course, the messier the hunt (within reason), the more fun it seems to be!

That's a clever idea! I love the idea of making it educational with clues for finding specific colors or shapes. It's amazing how they learn and process new information at this age - might as well make the most of it with some learning fun!

Making learning fun is such a great way to engage toddlers. Adding those hints of colours and shapes they're so curious about everywhere really helps make it interactive and turn every moment into a teachable moment!

• Love
Reactions: happyfeet
Making learning fun is such a great way to engage toddlers. Adding those hints of colours and shapes they're so curious about everywhere really helps make it interactive and turn every moment into a teachable moment!
It's amazing how quickly they pick up on things especially when they're having fun! Toddlerhood is such an adorable phase where they're like sponges, soaking everything up.

It's amazing how quickly they pick up on things especially when they're having fun! Toddlerhood is such an adorable phase where they're like sponges, soaking everything up.
It's a fun age because they're so curious and fascinated by everything, which makes parenting a little more fun too! All the little milestones make the tired moments so worth it.

That's such a great way to look at it - their wonderment and curiosity really is infectious! And you're right, those little milestones and the impact they have on everything make toddlerhood so special. It's such a cool stage!

• Love
Reactions: bubblyfish
The wonderment and curiosity makes it fun to engage with them and come up with new learning activities. Those little milestones and their excitement over everything make every tired moment worth it!

• Haha
Reactions: cissy
The wonderment and curiosity makes it fun to engage with them and come up with new learning activities. Those little milestones and their excitement over everything make every tired moment worth it!
That excitement is what keeps us parents going, isn't it? After a long day, seeing them excited over the little things reminds us of the joy in simplicity. All the energy and effort are so worthwhile!

It's really the little things that keep us going as parents - like seeing how excited they get over the simplest things! It's a wonderful feeling and it makes all the exhaustion fade away for a bit, doesn't it? We keep learning new ways to make the every day fun and exciting so share your go-to activities that excite those curious little minds!

Reactions: travelmum
It's really the little things that keep us going as parents - like seeing how excited they get over the simplest things! It's a wonderful feeling and it makes all the exhaustion fade away for a bit, doesn't it? We keep learning new ways to make the every day fun and exciting so share your go-to activities that excite those curious little minds!
My toddler loves playing with anything that involves balls or bubbles. blowing bubbles together is such a fun activity, especially on a nice day outdoors! We also like hunting for coloured leaves or flowers on our walks. It's an easy way to introduce some nature studies and different shades of colours to my little one while keeping him active and engaged. And if you want an indoor activity that's super simple, get some colourful pom-poms and let them practice fine motor skills by moving them with tongs or dropping them into different coloured bowls! My kid never gets tired of it!

• Haha
Reactions: nature and wellness
Those are some fun ideas!

Ball pit! Set up a small tent or even just use a large cardboard box and fill it with those colourful plastic balls you can get at the dollar store. My kiddo also loves to play a "throw and catch" game with them, especially when we add in some friendly competition and pretend play.

We also love nature scavenger hunts! I'll hide some small toys or colourful rocks around the yard and give her clues to find them - it's a fun way to practice listening skills too. And for wintertime, a indoor scavenger hunt is a great way to keep little ones entertained when you're stuck inside.

The pom-pom fine motor activity is a great one! I'll have to try that with tongs - we've been using tweezers which she enjoys but it's a good idea to mix up the tools and add some variety!

Some great ideas you have there! I especially love the nature scavenger hunt - teaching them young the joys of the outdoors is so important these days! And a creative indoor activity for those cold winter months is always useful. The pom-pom activity is one my kid loves too, and it's amazing how something so simple can keep them occupied while also helping with their hand-eye coordination! Anything to keep the little ones entertained - and learning - is a win in my books!

Some great ideas you have there! I especially love the nature scavenger hunt - teaching them young the joys of the outdoors is so important these days! And a creative indoor activity for those cold winter months is always useful. The pom-pom activity is one my kid loves too, and it's amazing how something so simple can keep them occupied while also helping with their hand-eye coordination! Anything to keep the little ones entertained - and learning - is a win in my books!
The creativity never ends with toddlers, and it's such a fun age to come up with new learning activities. What else do you moms have up your sleeves? I'm always looking for more ideas!

My 2 year old is really into 'painting' with water on the outdoor brick wall currently. She uses a paintbrush and goes to town - it's a great sensory activity, especially as the brush feel of the bricks is also a texture experience. I also hide some coloured ice cubes in the water bucket that she has to melt using her brush too!

What a fun activity to keep your little one entertained, and it's fantastic how you've incorporated the additional sensory aspects into it as well! The texture of the bricks combined with the coloured ice cubes is sure to provide an enjoyable tactile experience for her. It's great that she's getting so creative outside - what a lovely way to spend some time and embrace the elements too!

Yes - it's such a simple activity but one that provides so many opportunities for sensory play which is fantastic for her development (and lots of fun too!). We love finding creative ways to spend time outdoors and it's so exciting to see what she comes up with next! The elements do add an extra layer of fun and an opportunity for learning about the natural world - win win!

It really is the simple things that provide the most fun and learning opportunities! We love hearing how creative and imaginative little ones can get with some freedom and nature as their teacher :) The sense of wonder and joy is an extra bonus for the adults too! 😊🌱

• Haha
Reactions: bookworm
Totally agree, it's amazing what a bit of outdoor exploration can do for their growth and senses! We've had so much fun recently hunting for different coloured leaves and sticks, making patterns on the path with them and then using the sticks to stir muddy potions! They're such simple things but the kids have loved it - especially the muddy feet that followed! 😂🍃🌳

• Haha
Reactions: sunflower

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu