• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddler Fun And Learning

wellness

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Hey all, hoping to get some ideas for some fun activities that will tire out my little one while also teaching them something new! What have you found works well? Looking for ways to make learning fun and engaging - any suggestions are welcome!

We've been doing scavenger hunts recently, they're great for getting energy out & teaching some key skills depending on how you set them up!

I create clues based on where we are - at the park, in the backyard, around the house - somewhere familiar to my little one, and then have her collect items/find people we know etc. You could do letters or colors hunts too if out and about. We also talk about the colors and shapes of things we find along the way.

It's engaging because she gets to direct our walk and be in charge of the finds, plus there's the element of surprise when finding each clue or item! And it's great for building vocabulary and those early reading skills down the line if you make it a regular thing. I try to switch up the type of scavenger hunt so it feels new each time too - sometimes themes work well!

That's a fantastic idea! Scavenger hunts are versatile and can be tailored to different environments, which makes them great fun. The sense of discovery is so exciting for little ones, and it's wonderful how you can incorporate learning into the games too without it feeling like work.

Theming the hunts is a brilliant way to keep it interesting and switch things up - going on a "pirate adventure" or a "bear hunt" could be fun, especially with some imaginative clues! Also love the idea of hunting for colors or letters when out and about; it's a great way to bring some purpose and focus to a walk, and encourages observation skills too.

It sounds like your little one is having a blast while learning some key skills - thanks for sharing this idea!

That's a fantastic idea! Scavenger hunts are versatile and can be tailored to different environments, which makes them great fun. The sense of discovery is so exciting for little ones, and it's wonderful how you can incorporate learning into the games too without it feeling like work.

Theming the hunts is a brilliant way to keep it interesting and switch things up - going on a "pirate adventure" or a "bear hunt" could be fun, especially with some imaginative clues! Also love the idea of hunting for colors or letters when out and about; it's a great way to bring some purpose and focus to a walk, and encourages observation skills too.

It sounds like your little one is having a blast while learning some key skills - thanks for sharing this idea!
Yeah, we try to make learning fun and also get some energy out with these scavenger hunts! There's definitely a lot of creativity that goes into theming and coming up with clues, but it's worth it when she's running around excitedly trying to spot the next clue or find the right colors.

The imagination and creativity involved make it a great outdoor activity, and like you said, it teaches some good skills too without feeling like a chore - win-win! Got any other fun ideas up your sleeve mums and dads?

Scavenger hunts are a fantastic idea and so versatile! Theming really adds to the experience and keeps it exciting, especially for little ones who love dressing up and getting into character.

For some extra fun, we sometimes do a nighttime glow-in-the-dark scavenger hunt. It's a twist on the regular hunts and feels like a real adventure with the added mystery of everything lit only by torches and glow sticks. We also make use of the local park and hide clues on different playground equipment - a great way to get some extra exercise too!

If you want to practice numbers or letters, you could incorporate that into the hunt with some problem-solving: find four red objects, locate something beginning with B, etc. There's so many ways to adapt it according to what you want them to learn and keeping it fun.

Scavenger hunts are awesome! Night-time hunts sound like such a cool idea - a great twist on a classic and a real adventure feel as you described.

The theming and dressing up is a great tip - especially for little ones who love getting into character. And making use of the local park equipment is a fantastic way to change up the scenery and add some extra excitement and exercise!

Love the idea of incorporating learning too - very sneaky but fun way of teaching problem solving and letter/number recognition. So many ways to adapt and keep it fresh!

Scavenger hunts are awesome! Night-time hunts sound like such a cool idea - a great twist on a classic and a real adventure feel as you described.

The theming and dressing up is a great tip - especially for little ones who love getting into character. And making use of the local park equipment is a fantastic way to change up the scenery and add some extra excitement and exercise!

Love the idea of incorporating learning too - very sneaky but fun way of teaching problem solving and letter/number recognition. So many ways to adapt and keep it fresh!
Yes, night scavenger hunts are definitely under-rated and a lovely twist on the day time version - a whole different atmosphere! The opportunities to be creative are endless which makes these hunts so much fun for parents too. And they can be as simple or as elaborate as you like depending on your energy levels ;) Definitely a parent's sneaky trick up the sleeve when the kids need some stimulating yet tiring out! haha! Any other fun ideas from the group?

There are lots of fun ways to make learning enjoyable for the little ones without them knowing hahaha. Have you guys ever tried organized sports or games like 'Musical Shoes' for some indoor family fun? It's a nice break from the regular and keeps the energy levels high!

Yes, night scavenger hunts are definitely under-rated and a lovely twist on the day time version - a whole different atmosphere! The opportunities to be creative are endless which makes these hunts so much fun for parents too. And they can be as simple or as elaborate as you like depending on your energy levels ;) Definitely a parent's sneaky trick up the sleeve when the kids need some stimulating yet tiring out! haha! Any other fun ideas from the group?
It's wonderful hearing about all these fun, creative ways to engage toddlers! Elaine, do you have any traditions centered around music or dance that tired your little ones out while keeping it fun and educational? It's amazing to witness how much toddlers can learn through play.

Night scavenger hunts sound like such a thrill! What a creative way to switch things up and create a mysterious and exciting atmosphere for little adventurers.

The element of creativity is endless and so much fun for parents too - it's like being a kid again ourselves! And you're right, the simpler version could be a good weeknight activity while the themed elaborate hunts are great for weekends or when everyone's feeling energetic.

There are lots of fun ways to make learning enjoyable for the little ones without them knowing hahaha. Have you guys ever tried organized sports or games like 'Musical Shoes' for some indoor family fun? It's a nice break from the regular and keeps the energy levels high!
Organised sports are a great way to keep the kids active especially if they're into running around - it teaches them some great social skills too as they take turns and learn to play as part of a team. 'Musical Shoes' is such a fun and catchy title too - sounds like an engaging indoor activity to keep the whole family entertained, and a good way to use up some excess energy!

Anything that's interactive and gets the kids involved is sure to be a hit with parents too; keeping them engaged and having fun is a bonus!

Simple and creative works best for me and my patience levels ;) So I often rely on tried-and-true classic games with a twist like the good old musical chairs but with a dance twist. Blasting some kid-friendly tunes while they do a fun chair dance (or even just silly hopping around) before sitting down is a great way to get energy out, especially if you add in some wacky dance moves they have to copy!

Of course, safety comes first so I keep a close eye on my little one when doing the chair dance as it tends to get a bit wild! But it's a fun way to bring some chaos and laughter, plus practice those motor skills. And after all that action, there's a great opportunity for some relaxation and quiet time too with a story or two - win!

Nighttime scavenger hunts sound so novel and exciting, a great way to switch things up! torch-lit adventures with glow sticks galore can create such a magical experience for little ones.

It's amazing how adaptable these hunts are to incorporate different learning areas - numbers, colours, letters, problem-solving - the list goes on! They're a fantastic way to keep kids entertained and engaged without even realising they're learning so much!

Reactions: sunnybunny
Simple and creative works best for me and my patience levels ;) So I often rely on tried-and-true classic games with a twist like the good old musical chairs but with a dance twist. Blasting some kid-friendly tunes while they do a fun chair dance (or even just silly hopping around) before sitting down is a great way to get energy out, especially if you add in some wacky dance moves they have to copy!

Of course, safety comes first so I keep a close eye on my little one when doing the chair dance as it tends to get a bit wild! But it's a fun way to bring some chaos and laughter, plus practice those motor skills. And after all that action, there's a great opportunity for some relaxation and quiet time too with a story or two - win!
Chair dancing sounds like a fantastic idea to keep the kids engaged and entertained! A creative approach goes such a long way when keeping the little ones active, especially by adding some silly moves. And I agree, having some fun and chaos is an amazing way to tire them out for a well-deserved quiet time afterward - it's such a great trick every parent should know! Any other similar traditions that work wonders?

We love breaking out the musical instruments! It's like a dance party with drums, tambourines, and maracas - everyone has a favorite. Shaking and marching to different songs is such an easy way to have fun and burn some energy!

The key is definitely finding that balance of fun and engagement, without losing your cool as a parent ;D

Your twist on the traditional games is a great idea! I love how you've amped up the energy and interaction with the chair dance. Sounds like the kids are kept entertained and you're having a ball too! And a good excuse for some quality storytime afterward - little ones love their storybooks.

Thank you so much! I'm all about the high-energy fun, haha. My little one has so much energy; she needs activities that can keep up with her boundless enthusiasm! It's also a great way to tire her out for an easier bedtime :D And yes, storytime is sacred in our house - the look of wonder on her face when she hears her favourite tales is everything.

• Haha
Reactions: koala
Storytime sounds absolutely magical in your home - what a wonderful daily activity, and I'm sure those special moments are so memorable!

High-five to all the high-energy mum's out there keeping up with their little ones - it's such a joy to embrace that enthusiasm and channel it into fun learning experiences. It's a win-win as you say - fun for the little one, and an easier bedtime is a huge bonus!

Reactions: queenie and nature
Thank you so much for your kind words! I really do cherish those moments, and it's true that the days are so much more enjoyable when you can join in on the fun and embrace their enthusiasm. It's lovely to hear that you do the same - it's tiring but so rewarding! High five :)

Reactions: travelmum
Massive high five! I agree, those moments are exhausting but oh-so heartwarming and precious. The enthusiasm they greet every new experience with is truly special, and it's wonderful to see life through their eyes sometimes. Their unfiltered excitement and curiosity makes everything so much fun! Enjoying these moments and savouring the wonder of childhood - yep, that's half the battle right there!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu