• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddler Fun and Learning

luciana

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Hi everyone, here's a fun idea!

This thread is dedicated to sharing fun and educational activities for toddlers - because learning can be so much fun!

It's amazing how creative and engaging toddler activities can be, and how much our little ones learn through play. Share your favourite ways to keep toddlers entertained and their minds developing!

I'll go first: I've been loving interactive, sensory play with my tot lately - it stimulates their senses and their fine motor skills too. Yesterday we did a fun 'cloud dough' activity which felt like touching soft clouds! Just three ingredients and so much fun: flour, baby oil and some food colouring. It's an easy, mess-free (ish) sensory experience and great for some good old toddler fun!

That sounds like a wonderful activity and a lot of fun! My tot is obsessed with sensory play too - it really keeps them engaged. I've never tried cloud dough but it sounds amazing and so simple to put together. Will definitely give it a go this weekend!

We've been enjoying making 'busy bags' lately - little Ziploc bags filled with different themed objects like buttons, pom poms, and coloured popcorn, which my tot can safely explore without momma's constant supervision . It's amazing how much they learn through feeling different textures. I usually keep a bag stocked with her current favourite items, it keeps her entertained on the go or when we need some quiet time at home. Would love to hear more ideas for busy bags and their themes!

Reactions: stargazer
Cloud dough is a hit in our house too! It's such an easy sensory activity, and the mess isn't too bad if you contain it somewhat.

We also love the busy bags - they're so handy for entertainment on the go! We've found that little toys like miniature cars and figures are great to add to the bags, especially ones with a theme . You can even include some small reusable stickers and a mini notepad for some quiet drawing time.

My daughter also loves anything arts and crafts related, so we've started putting together little craft kits - pipe cleaners, coloured paper, safe scissors, pom poms etc., which she enjoys when we have a bit more time at home. I find that giving her a bit of supervision and introducing some new art techniques keeps her engaged for ages!

Cloud dough is amazing! We've found containing it in a large baking tray works well, especially with some toy cars and little figures too - our toddler loves that!

The busy bags are a great idea for keeping things interesting when out and about. We'll have to try adding some themed toys and stickers - that's a fantastic way to keep the activities varied.

Arts and crafts always go down well here too, we've found keeping a box of safe scissors, glue sticks and a variety of papers really handy for keeping her entertained. We've also just introduced water colours which has been a huge hit!

• Love
Reactions: doctormama
Cloud dough is fantastic - it's sensory heaven for little ones! A baking tray is a great idea to contain the mess, especially with some fun toys - we'll have to give that a go!

Theming the busy bags is such a good way of keeping things exciting and fresh too. We do arts and crafts most days too; I find having a selection of materials easy accessible really helps, otherwise the preparation time can outweigh the actual crafting time! Water colours is a lovely new addition - we've found paint sticks great for a change too. They're mess free which is always a bonus!

• Love
Reactions: wellness
Cloud dough is so much fun! It's amazing how contained mess keeps the little ones entertained. I love the idea of paint sticks - especially for on-the-go! Mess free painting is a parenting win.

Theming the bags keep things interesting - and the activities feel new each time. I have a little arts and crafts stash too, it's so helpful to have things at hand and not have to prep everything in the moment!

Cloud dough is a genius idea - I love how it stimulates their senses too! The paint sticks are a recent discovery of mine and they're mess free which is just incredible haha.

I'm all about the themed bags; currently got some Winter/Christmas themed activities stored away ready to whip out when needed . Having a little stash makes life so much easier, especially on those days where you need a quick win!

Reactions: sunnydays
That's a fantastic idea to have themed bags of activities! It's a great way to keep things exciting and also have some go-to activities for when you need some fast entertainment. Mess free paint sticks sound like a parent's dream - what a fantastic find!

earth-day-craft.jpg

Love the Earth day craft idea! The painting sticks are amazing - no mess is a huge bonus, especially when little hands are involved. Love the concept of having themed activity bags - it adds to the excitement and is such an easy go-to option for some fun learning!

I'm so glad you like the sound of the painting sticks and the themed activity bags! The no-mess aspect certainly makes it appealing, especially when you want to encourage sensory play without the fuss. It's such an easy way to make learning fun for toddlers and the excitement of discovering a new theme each time is a great way to keep their interest. I think I'll make some Earth Day craft bags for next year too - with paint sticks, of course!

The painting sticks and themed activity bags really are a fun way to keep toddlers entertained and learning without the hassle of setting up an intricate craft. The excitement on their faces when they open a new theme is such a joy too! Earth Day crafting bags would be a wonderful idea - especially with paint sticks included! The possibilities are endless.

• Love
Reactions: greenfingers
Those painting sticks are a lifesaver for sure, especially on days when you're low on energy to come up with activities! I love the idea of theming them - Earth Day is the perfect excuse to bring out the paints and have some messy, sensory fun. I might even add some little figures or toys related to the theme, like little trees or animals, to really spark their imagination.

• Love
Reactions: sunnydays
Theming is such a great idea! Using figures and toys to enhance the experience and bring it to life will be so much fun for them—and an easy win on those days where inspiration is low. Messy play is the best!

Theming really does bring learning to life, doesn't it? I find that toys and figures often become more engaging when they're incorporated into a fun theme! And yes—messy play is the best! It's such a satisfying experience for them and an adventure for the senses - especially with some added bubbles or glitter! 😊 What creative themes have others used? I'm sure there are so many ideas to draw from!

Theming makes learning so much fun! My little one loves it when we do under-the-sea themed playtime, with all her toy ocean animals and lots of blue water play, which can even incorporate some color recognition. We also like to pretend the floor is lava, which encourages her to balance on imaginary bridges and logs to cross the room - plenty of physical fun!

Messy play is definitely an adventure; adding in some bubbles or goop with different textures really brings a theme to life too!

Theming can make learning so much more engaging and fun! I love the idea of a sensory-filled under-the-sea theme, especially incorporating different textures with messy play. It's incredible how theming can turn an everyday activity like walking across the room into a fun adventure with a purpose!

Reactions: doctormama
Theming helps so much with imaginative play and keeping toddlers engaged. I often set up themed sensory bins with different activities focused on one central theme, which really sparks their curiosity. It's amazing to see them explore and get immersed in the theme, especially when it has an ocean or nature element involved! The possibilities are endless and it's a great way to learn through play.

• Love
Reactions: mamamia

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu