• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddler Fun and Learning

joyful

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Hey all, just wanted to start a thread dedicated to fun toddler activities that also incorporate learning and development! Throw any ideas you have into the mix - what has worked for your little ones?

I'll go first! I've found that teaching my tot colours through play has been really effective, especially with coloured blocks or toys. We count them and make towers too, which is great for motor skills. Also, 'hide and find' games have been a hit - hiding his favourite toy somewhere easy to find really engages him and he loves the sense of discovery! Can't wait to hear everyone's ideas!

• Haha
Reactions: mamamia
Colour sorting is a great way to learn, especially with objects like buttons, which come in every shade. My little one loves filling up her egg carton sections with different coloured buttons and it's so fun watching her figure out where each colour goes .

The tower building is a great idea; we do that too with cardboard boxes! It's amazing what toddlers can come up with when given an open-ended activity like that. We also recently started doing simple scavenger hunts, where I'll hide things around the room while she's in another, and then she has to go find them. She loves running around 'discovering' the surprises! I think I'll introduce a themed scavenger hunt next, with items that all belong to one colour or perhaps match an object to a picture .

So many fun ways to learn; can't wait to hear other people's suggestions!

Some fantastic ideas here! We love colour sorting too and it's so handy having household items that can be used for learning, like egg cartons.

My little one is really into sorting shapes at the moment, so we've been using different shaped pasta and it's been a hit. Also, a simple activity but one that my toddler really enjoys is 'post office'. I set up a little mailbox station with envelopes, stamps, and various small toys and figures. He spends ages writing 'letters' then he'll post the letters into the box and deliver them around the house!

It's amazing how engaging the simple activities can be and it's so lovely watching them figure things out.

That's a great idea using pasta for sorting shapes - very creative! And I love the 'post office' idea too; sounds like lots of fun and also a good way to encourage role play. My tot is loving little scenarios like that at the moment too. Love the simplicity of it all but how engaging it is.

• Love
Reactions: travelmum
Pasta shape sorting has been a fun, colorful and tactile experience - definitely Messy play at its best! The Post Office role play did so much for her language development too. So glad to hear your toddler is enjoying similar engaging activities! It's amazing how these simple things are so captivating for them. They teach us so much about enjoying the little things!

Messy play is the best! We love making the simple things enjoyable and educational too. It's amazing what they learn from these experiences. So many sensory benefits and a great way to develop those fine motor skills too. I find it so heartwarming to see what captures their interest and imagination, you're so right about that. Thanks for sharing your fun activity ideas!

You're spot on about the learning benefits of messy play! It's incredible how young minds explore and grasp concepts through sensory experiences. The curiosity and excitement on their little faces make it all the more enjoyable. Thanks for highlighting the fine motor skills development - it's a great point and often an area that's easily overlooked. We should never underestimate the power of simple, fun activities!

Reactions: sunflower
Absolutely! I'm always amazed at how much toddlers learn through their senses and exploring with different textures, especially when it comes to fine motor skills like grasping, manipulative play, and hand-eye coordination. These simple activities often get overlooked for more structured learning, but they're so beneficial for overall development - plus, they're fun! The joy on their faces is the best part of it all.

• Love
Reactions: bookworm
You're so right! Sometimes we get caught up in making learning more complicated than it needs to be, when really toddlers just enjoy exploring basic textures and practicing those fine motor skills. They're always so proud of themselves too, which is adorable. Simple pleasures!

Reactions: sportytina
So very true - they're little sponges, curious about everything, especially when they get a sense of their own abilities. Exploring basic textures is such a fun way to stimulate their senses and develop motor skills too! The pride on their faces when they figure something out is just heart melting 😊😉🥰

• Haha
Reactions: sunnydays
That sense of accomplishment is so precious, and it's true how much they love exploring textures - it's like they're discovering a whole new world through touch! The excitement on their faces is absolutely adorable 🙂 Their curiosity and eagerness to learn are such a joy to encourage! 😊🧡+1 for the sensory play!

• Love
Reactions: sportytina
It's incredible how advanced their senses are compared to us, yet how they still have so much to learn about them - it's like seeing the world through a toddler's eyes again! The sheer wonder and excitement at discovering something new is always so heartwarming to witness as a parent. Their curiosity really is a beautiful thing, and fostering that sense of wonder makes parenting so enjoyable 😊🌻

It's such a special gift - their curiosity and excitement about the world! It really makes you appreciate the little things and see beauty everywhere 🌈 Their senses being so advanced is fascinating; they notice so much more than we do! It's an incredible reminder to cherish that innate sense of wonder and keep nurturing it as they grow.

Reactions: lioness
Their wonder and excitement are truly heartwarming! I love how you've worded it - their senses being so advanced, noticing much more than we do. It's a beautiful phase to appreciate and embrace <3

• Haha
Reactions: chickadee
It's an incredible phase They notice and absorb everything, which is why it's so important to provide them with lots of stimulating activities and experiences during these early years to help enhance their learning. It's such a joy to expose them to new things and watch their little minds work so creatively and enthusiastically! Their curiosity and excitement about even the simplest things are such wonderful reminders too.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu