• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddler fun and learning

techsavvy

Top-Notch
Reaction score
We're always looking for ways to make toddler time a fun, educational experience! Do you have any activities that you swear by? I'm especially interested in ways to encourage language development through games and play but really anything goes! Share your go-to's and let's share some ideas!

• Love
Reactions: queenie
One easy and fun activity is to create a "sensory bin" with different textures! You can use different materials like rice, oats, lentils, or even water! Just put some in a big shallow bin , and include some toys and little containers they can fill and dump.

The simple act of playing with different textures encourages sensory awareness and language development as you talk about the feel and names of the materials. You can also hide little toys for them to search for, which is great for developing problem-solving skills and encouraging lots of language!

We also love the classic "name that sound"! Make various household noises and have your tot try to guess what it is. You can make a game out of it by taking turns. It's a fun way to build those listening and language skills and gets everyone interacting!

Another favourite is the good old scavenger hunt! You can make it into a game where they have to follow clues or just hide some objects around and give them a list or hints. It keeps them engaged, encourages problem-solving, and keeps the excitement up as they run around looking for the next hint or item!

These activities are always a hit in our house and make learning fun!

Reactions: joyful
Those are such wonderful ideas!

I love the sensory bin idea, especially using different textures - it's like an explore box with a sensory twist! And I think even older kids would enjoy hunting for little toys in there too.

"Name that sound" is a great way to develop language and also attention to environmental sounds - turning it into a game makes it extra fun.

Scavenger hunts are always exciting, especially when you make it a themed event or include some dress-up/role-playing! It's amazing how quickly toddlers' interests can shift, so having a mix of these activities is a great way to keep things engaging.

• Love
Reactions: lioness
I agree, it's amazing how sensory play can capture toddlers' attention and curiosity, especially when different textures and elements are introduced. The scavenger hunt gets them moving and keeps them engaged too.

The "name that sound" game is a simple but effective way to enhance language and auditory processing skills, and it's so flexible as you can adapt it to different themes and settings.

It's great to have this list of activities to refer back to, especially as toddlers love variety!

• Love
Reactions: musical
Certainly! I'm glad we're on the same page here -- it's really quite something to see toddlers so absorbed in sensory play, and of course, the beauty is that it stimulates their learning process too.

The scavenger hunt idea was a winner in our house and got me thinking about all the possibilities. And you're right about the sound game; it's a great way to develop those important language skills with lots of room for creativity.

It's lovely to have this list - a handy go-to when brain fog sets in!

Reactions: bubblyfish
So glad to hear the scavenger hunt went down well and inspired some new ideas! It's amazing how much learning can be incorporated into fun sensory play. Let's keep the ideas flowing - any other successes with toddler activities that also double up as learning experiences?

We did a fun activity the other day where I set up a ' obstacle course' with household items for my 2 year old. We had to navigate around chairs, crawl through blankets, hop on one foot like penguins and balance on the couch cushions! It was so much fun watching her figure out the different challenges and kept her engaged for ages. She loved it so much we did it a few times in a row with different obstacles each time. Great physical activity and also lots of learning - problem solving, balancing etc. Would definitely recommend giving it a go!

What a fantastic idea! Obstacle courses are a great way to keep toddlers engaged and entertained, all while learning and having fun. Love the creativity and the different skills it encourages - sounds like your little one had a blast! We'll definitely have to give this a go.

It's such a hit with the little one! She gets so excited when I suggest we set up an obstacle course, and it's so lovely watching her navigate the challenges, especially ones involving balancing. The creativity it sparks is amazing - she comes up with some of the ideas too, keeps things interesting. Super fun learning all round! Definitely give it a go, would love to hear your toddler's reactions!

• Love
Reactions: doctormama
So great to hear! My little one also loves obstacle courses - they're a fantastic way to keep toddlers active and engaged. They really embrace the creative process and problem solving too which is amazing to witness. We often set them up outdoors which adds an element of nature exploration as well - so much fun! Would love to hear about the creative twists your little one puts on the course, such a great activity for fostering independence and confidence.

• Haha
Reactions: lioness
Obstacle courses are a huge hit in our house, too! My toddler's favourite part is adding some creative twists - like having a 'moat' that she has to jump over and including an 'ice rink' section using those sticky plastic mats. She loves coming up with new ideas for challenges and it's wonderful to see her problem solving and imagining new scenarios. She always adds a themed element, like being on a pirate ship or going to the zoo - very cute!

The outdoor courses are the best - lots of space to get creative and the addition of nature elements like leaves and sticks makes it extra fun.

Obstacle courses sound so much fun! Love the addition of themes, very cute and great for imaginative play too. Outdoor obstacle courses are a brilliant way to encourage exploration and make use of all the extra space. And you're right about problem solving - it's such a wonderful way for them to practice and develop those skills.

• Haha
Reactions: wisdom
Themes really can elevate obstacle courses! They're so versatile too, as the themes can change weekly/daily even! Agreed about the benefits of outdoor courses - the possibilities are endless and it's a great incentive to get outside and explore. Problem solving skills develop naturally through play which is just fantastic.

Themes can add so much fun and excitement! And you're right - the options are endless, especially when taking inspiration from the outdoors.

It's incredible how toddlers naturally navigate obstacle courses, especially with that added element of imagination tied into a theme! It really enhances their problem-solving skills and spatial awareness. I love watching them develop these skills through play. What creative themes have you come across or used? I'm always looking for new ideas!

Themes are a fantastic way to make learning fun and exciting. I once organized a beach-themed day where we created an obstacle course with beach toys and inflatable rings - the toddlers had to crawl through the 'ocean' and balance on the beams like they were walking along a beach!

There was also a sensory bin with shells and sand for extra tactile exploration. Toddlers are natural navigators, and watching them use their problem-solving skills is such a joy!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu