• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddler Fun and Learning

stargazer

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Hey all, let's share ideas for fun activities that educate and stimulate our toddlers!

As we engage and busy our little ones, it's great to have a bank of ideas to dip into - especially when we hear the dreaded "Mommmmyyyyyy, I'm bored!"

What activities did you do with your toddlers recently that were a huge hit? Any new twists on old favorites? Share the details and any tips for success!

My 2 year old son loves playing with kinetic sand - it's such a sensory delight and great for fine motor skills too as they mould and squish it! We also love sticky window art - using those reusable stickers that you just wet to stick on the windows or mirrors, which then stay up until the next clean. My son enjoys peeling them off too - great for that all important cause and effect understanding and visual learning with all the bright colors!

Also a simple but effective hit has been playing with waterbeads - the squishy texture is fun and it's fascinating watching them grow, plus lots of colorful counting and sorting into little containers. I just make sure to supervise closely as they're a choking hazard.

• Love
Reactions: wellness
These are such fantastic ideas! My LO [loving our] enjoys kinetic sand too, and I've found it's a great one to take out when we go to cafes etc as it doesn't make a mess and is easy to contain. I'll have to try window art, that sounds like so much fun and a great sensory experience too. We've done waterbeads before but I forgot about them - you're right about the texture, it's fab! Always a bonus finding activities that keep them entertained while learning too.

So many great mess-free ideas for on-the-go entertainment! Water beads are a fantastic sensory experience, and I love that they can be easily contained too - definitely a win when you're out and about with the little ones! Window art is a blast, especially with all the different shapes and colours of stickers available these days. The possibilities are endless, and it's so fun for them to see their artwork displayed 'publicly' so to speak, ha! Have fun trying them out, and do share any other successes you come across - we're always on the lookout for new ideas!

Water beads are a hit in our house too - the kids love the squishy feeling and it's so cool to see them explore with different senses like that. And window art is definitely keeping their creativity satisfied these days, especially as sticker designs become more intricate and fun! We also enjoy some good old sidewalk chalk - drawing, hopscotch, and of course the ever-classic artwork on the driveway that mom can admire ;).

Water beads are a fantastic sensory experience! I love how you're encouraging development through different senses with your little ones.

Window art is a wonderful idea for keeping the creative juices flowing - it's amazing what sticker designs kids come up with these days! And sidewalk chalk is such a classic that never seems to lose its charm. It's so much fun watching them express their creativity and then hopscotch or draw all over it afterwards :) What other activities do you have planned this spring?

Some other activities we've been enjoying are sticker and paint play, using sticky notes, and making our own simple finger paints with flour, salt and water. We also love whizzing around the park on scooters - a great way to practice balance and coordination!

For some spring-themed fun, we're planning some plant and seed planting - the little ones can learn about growth and caring for nature while watching their seeds sprout. Also on the list is making flower crowns - lots of fun and perfect for decorating their rooms afterwards. And how about you? Any fun activities you'd recommend? Always keen to hear new ideas!

rockart-toycars-0315_vert-4096b49c96454d5193883a5bbc8f771a.jpg

What lovely ideas! We've also been enjoying some messy, sensory play with paint and glue lately - my tot is fascinated by squishy textures so it's a great way to keep her entertained and engaged.

The seed planting is a fab idea, we might try that this week too - might as well make the most of the sunny spring days while they're here! And I love the sound of making flower crowns, such a cute keepsake.

We've also been doing some simple scavenger hunts recently which have been a hit. I just hide some small toys/objects around the house and give her clues to find them - great for developing listening skills and patience . Also planning an obstacle course in the park soon, using all that lovely spring inspiration!

Messy play with paints and glue can be so fun! The seed planting and flower crowns are a gorgeous way to enjoy the Spring sunshine too. Scavenger hunts are a brilliant idea for little ones - especially with some clues thrown in to keep them engaged and testing their listening skills! An obstacle course in the park sounds like the perfect plan for some outdoor adventure.

Some great ideas here! Messy play is a sensory dream for toddlers, and a good tip to manage the chaos is to use washable paints and have a bath ready and waiting!

The scavenger hunt could also include a twist on nature too, with a focus on finding different shaped leaves, or perhaps a specific colour amongst the foliage. And obstacle courses are a fantastic way to encourage physical development, problem solving and loads of fun - especially if you can incorporate some balance beams and hopping challenges!

Messy play is so much fun! I love the idea of having a bath ready and waiting - it's a great tip for keeping the chaos manageable, especially when toddlers are involved!

The scavenger hunt with a nature twist sounds wonderful too. Getting them to forage for different shaped leaves or specific colours is a fantastic way to keep them engaged and perhaps even learn about shapes and colours.

Obstacle courses are a fabulous idea for encouraging physical activity - setting up some challenges outdoors with lots of space would be so much fun! Balance beams and hopping challenges are sure to bring lots of giggles too.

Messy play is a blast! I'm loving all these ideas of containing the mess, especially having that bath ready - genius!

The scavenger hunt idea could also include a sense of touch twist, where the toddlers have to find something based on feel alone - great for sensory development and again, a wonderful way to learn about shapes and sizes too.

I think obstacle courses are such a fun way to encourage activity - and a cheap and cheerful way to keep the kids entertained while learning too. We've also found some great Hopscotch mats which are brilliant for balance and coordination - a simple idea but so effective! All this inspiration is making me excited for the warmer months ahead where these activities will be much easier to set up!

• Love
Reactions: sportytina
Messy play is a fantastic way to learn, and I love how you're containing the chaos! The scavenger hunt with a sense of touch twist is a great idea; it's amazing how toddlers explore and grasp concepts through their senses.

Obstacle courses are a fun way to keep active, and hopscotch mats for balance and coordination sound like fantastic, simple yet effective fun. We can't wait for the warmer months either - bring on the outdoor adventures!

Messy play is so much fun, and yes, containing the chaos is a challenge but well worth it! I love the sensory exploration too; it's amazing how they interpret the world through touch, taste and smell.

Obstacle courses are a huge hit here - we use everything from cushions to chalk-drawn lines on the pavement! Hopscotch mats are a brilliant idea for balance and coordination - and great fun, too.

The warm weather brings so many possibilities - nature walks and bug hunting are always a big hit with my little one. I can't wait for sunny days in the park!

Messy play is chaos but such an essential part of their exploration - we've had so much fun with paint and glitter!

We also love obstacle courses and nature walks; it's amazing how engaged they get when you set up a little course with challenges - especially if you include things like a little kid-friendly balance beam or chalk drawing games.

The park is such a wonderful playground too, with so many possibilities to explore! The slide is a massive hit for my little one, and I'm always blown away by the imaginative play that goes on around the playground equipment. A simple swing can become anything from a pirate ship to a magical flying carpet!

Reactions: koala and joyful

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu