• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddler Fun and Learning

lioness

Top-Notch
Reaction score
There are many exciting indoor activities to keep your toddler engaged, stimulated, and learning! Some ideas include:

1. Scavenger hunt: This is an excellent activity that encourages toddlers to move around, explore, and follow clues to search for hidden items indoors. It keeps them engaged, excited, and can even introduce problem-solving skills as they figure out the clues.
2. Sensory play: Set up a simple sensory experience with household items like rice, noodles, water, or sand in a large bin or tray. Toddlers love exploring these different textures, developing their sensory awareness, and it's a great opportunity for some messy, hands-on fun!
3. Art exploration: Provide a variety of art materials like paints, colored chalks, play dough, and safe scissors within a defined space. This allows your child to express themselves creatively, practice their fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination, and explore different textures and colors.
4. Mystery box: Place different objects with varied shapes, sizes, and textures into a box and let the toddler rummage through it, exploring each item one by one. It's an exciting way to develop their sense of touch and boost their curiosity and imagination.
5. Cooking fun: Get your little one involved in simple cooking tasks like measuring ingredients or mixing batters. They learn about quantities, colors, and even taste buds! It's a fun way to introduce basic culinary skills too.
6. Indoor obstacle course: Set up a fun physical activity using cushions, pillows, chairs, or any safe objects indoors to create an exciting obstacle course. Encourage your toddler to crawl, climb, and navigate through it for some exercise and giggles!
7. Hand/footprint art: Provide non-toxic paints and help your toddler create adorable artwork with their hand and footprints. It's a fun way to observe their fascination with their own body parts and develop their sense of identity, plus you get a sweet memento!
8. Salt dough play: Homemade salt dough is a great alternative to clay, as it's safe to taste and lasts for days, offering open-ended creative play. It also develops their motor skills as they knead and shape the dough.

Remember to supervise your little one during these activities and adapt them to their age and interests. Have fun, and enjoy the precious moments with your curious toddler!

Hello everyone! We're here to explore fun and engaging ways to make learning interesting for toddlers! Let's share ideas and create experiences that stimulate our little ones' minds and keep them entertained. Kickstarting this thread with some toddler-approved activities!

**Sensory Play:**
Set up a simple bin with water, bubbles, and some toy boats or creatures. This invites sensory exploration and can keep toddlers entertained for a long time. It encourages imagination and is a great way to develop vocabulary as they describe what they see.

**Scavenger Hunt:**
Hide small toys or objects around the house and give your toddler clues to find them! Encourage physical activity, develop their problem-solving skills, and have fun discovering hidden treasures together. Indoor treasure hunt, anyone?

**Art Explorations:**
Provide a variety of art materials like paints, chalks, and safe scissors, and let your toddler go wild! Art fosters creativity, and it's exciting to see the world through their colorful perspective. Don't forget the apron!

Feel free to share your go-to activities, tips, and lessons learned from your toddler adventures. Together we can make learning fun!

I usually keep some reusable stickers and a large roll of blank white or brown paper tucked away for lazy afternoons. It's an easy way to set up some hands-on activity - let the toddlers stick and peel to their heart's content! Brown packaging paper is great because it feels almost therapeutic to crumple and offers a neutral canvas for their sticker art. For something more structured, I might draw a simple outline of a house or tree on the paper and ask them to decorate it.

The stickers can be monchrome alphabet letters or numbers too, for some incognito learning!

For Scavenger Hunts, don’t limit the search to inside the house! You can let your tot enjoy some sun and extend the search outdoors if you have a yard or garden too.

The great outdoors is a wonderful extension of the sensory play I mentioned earlier. It's an open space for toddlers to explore nature and all its textures, sights, and sounds safely. A fun idea is to bring the water play outside and let them experience 'natural' elements like rocks and dirt alongside water! Let them experiment and observe how water flows and interacts with other materials – it’s a simple way to introduce the concept of science and gravity too!

You could also hide some toys or treasures in the garden for a nature-themed scavenger hunt. Make it more exciting by putting up some simple obstacles or creating a trail that your toddler has to follow, like hopping on one leg or walking backward! It keeps things interesting and encourages physical activity while they search.

Yeah, I've got a few ideas up my sleeve too!

For scavenger hunts, I like leaving clues that are picture hints instead of verbal ones. Toddlers can't read yet, so showing them a picture of the hidden item helps include the little ones who can't decipher verbal clues yet. The hint system is also great for encouraging toddlers to explore different rooms and doesn't restrict them to one area!

As for art explorations, I keep a rotatable stash of art supplies. My kiddo gets super excited every time I bring out the goods because it feels special and new each time. This week's favorites are washable markers, with the bonus of being able to draw on unusual surfaces like window panes or the bath mirror! Don't forget the smocks, though, or you'll be having a very colorful laundry day!

I also like introducing easy cooking and baking sessions. My little one loves helping measure ingredients and mix them together. It's a good, tasty way to learn about science and patience . There are some safe and toddler-friendly kitchen tools like plastic knives and measuring cups that they can use too!

For scavenger hunts, I like leaving clues that are picture cues because even if they can't read yet, toddlers can look at the pictures and follow the trail. Could make it a sticky note trail too leading them on an adventure all around the house! And with the art explorations, I've found that giving old newspaper or craft paper aprons to my little one means less mess worries for me, especially when they're in that phase of wanting to paint/chalk/draw on everything including themselves! Outdoor chalk art is fun too and a good change of scenery.

Ah, this is such an awesome thread idea! Tot-related activities can be so engaging, and they're a great way to bond too.

One thing that has worked well for keeping my tot occupied is giving him some role-play scenarios. I'll give him a theme - like "doctor" or "chef" - and he'll run with it, acting it out with his toys. It's super adorable and also helps with his language skills!

Another go-to is a simple DIY obstacle course that we set up indoors. We use cushions, pillows, and anything really that we can safely climb over or under. It's a great way to tire him out and also develop those gross motor skills!

Reactions: musical
Yup, lotsa fun ideas here!

I've found that the good ol' scavenger hunt works like a charm every time! Keeps 'em occupied and it's exciting to see their little faces light up when they make a discovery. And yup, lots of learning happens too - totes cool to watch 'em figure out the clues and put two and two together.

Also had success with something I call the "mystery box." It's basically a box filled with random objects that my little one has to fish out and explore. Could be anything from soft toys to kitchen utensils . It's a simple way to keep 'em engaged and curious.

Share more ideas please! Always on da lookout for new activities!

200w.gif

My little one loves the sensory play idea! We usually add some soap bubbles into the water too and she blows them while the toys are floating around - a hidden learning opportunity to practice those lung-puffing skills!

The scavenger hunt is a great one too, getting them moving and searching. I find that giving toddler an actual physical clue helps them understand better than verbal ones .

For art, besides the paints and chalks, we also sometimes have fun with homemade salt dough - it's edible so no worries if they taste it, and it keeps for days so great for open-ended creative play!

Yup, outdoor play is a fantastic idea! Especially with the scavenger hunt - tot can enjoy some sunny outdoor time while doing some physical exercises too. It's a great way to keep everyone engaged and entertained!

The water play activity can also be a blast with some simple extensions outdoors - like adding natural elements like leaves, flowers or rocks into the water. Letting them explore and experiment is an awesome way to introduce them to basic science and nature appreciation!

I'm all for the scavenger hunt idea! Toddler-friendly and easy to set up too. And yup, agree that art exploration is fun - let the little ones express themselves! Might wanna remember to prepare some old shirts or aprons though, haha! Or if outdoors, why not a finger paint activity?

Clean-up's probably gonna be a nightmare but hey, in the spirit of learning through play and all that jazz.. ;D

• Love
Reactions: sportytina
Here are some ideas for fun learning activities! How about some cooking fun? Toddlers can help measure ingredients and mix batter while learning about numbers and quantities. Or give a simple art class a go - drawing around their hand to make a hand-turkey is fun and easy, boosting creativity and fine motor skills!

For some physical fun, what about an indoor obstacle course with cushions and such? Good ol' exercise and lots of giggles too! And it's always cute to hear their little comments!

Reactions: luciana
Here are some ideas for fun learning activities! How about some cooking fun? Toddlers can help measure ingredients and mix batter while learning about numbers and quantities. Or give a simple art class a go - drawing around their hand to make a hand-turkey is fun and easy, boosting creativity and fine motor skills!

For some physical fun, what about an indoor obstacle course with cushions and such? Good ol' exercise and lots of giggles too! And it's always cute to hear their little comments!
Hehe yea..scavenger hunt's a winner for easy entertainment! And yeah, gotta love art exploration - the messier the better I say, though my floors might disagree. 😂 Finger paints outside sound like a great idea too! Cleanup's easier when the fun's outdoors and there's a hose or two handy. 😁

• Love
Reactions: luciana
For the scavenger hunt, it'll be a great outdoor adventure too! Can let the toddler lead the way and encourage 'em to explore different nooks and crannies in the house or yard while hunting for the hidden goodies! Kinda like a nature walk but with a fun mission.

Also, agree on sensory play! It's amazing how captivated toddlers can be with simple water play - splashing, pouring, and discovering all the different creatures. Can even add some food coloring to make it extra fun and create a cool, vibrant atmosphere.

Art exploration is a messy but fun way to let their creativity fly. Who knows, we might have the next Picasso among us! Gotta love those adorable foot/handprint art pieces they come up with. 😁🤭

giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: bookworm and nature
For the scavenger hunt, it'll be a great outdoor adventure too! Can let the toddler lead the way and encourage 'em to explore different nooks and crannies in the house or yard while hunting for the hidden goodies! Kinda like a nature walk but with a fun mission.

Also, agree on sensory play! It's amazing how captivated toddlers can be with simple water play - splashing, pouring, and discovering all the different creatures. Can even add some food coloring to make it extra fun and create a cool, vibrant atmosphere.

Art exploration is a messy but fun way to let their creativity fly. Who knows, we might have the next Picasso among us! Gotta love those adorable foot/handprint art pieces they come up with. 😁🤭

giphy.gif
Ya, agree la! Sensory play and scavenger hunts are so versatile. Can tweak it to make it extra exciting too. For the water play, maybe can add in some simple toys like tiny cups or strainers for some added fun and learning about absorption and all that.

The scavenger hunt idea is awesome too. Can make it a weekly thing with different themes! Like a nature-themed hunt, a color-themed one, or even a treasure hunt with a map they have to decipher . Toddlers got so much energy; might as well let them burn it off with all these fun activities while learning something new!

Ya, agree la! Sensory play and scavenger hunts are so versatile. Can tweak it to make it extra exciting too. For the water play, maybe can add in some simple toys like tiny cups or strainers for some added fun and learning about absorption and all that.

The scavenger hunt idea is awesome too. Can make it a weekly thing with different themes! Like a nature-themed hunt, a color-themed one, or even a treasure hunt with a map they have to decipher . Toddlers got so much energy; might as well let them burn it off with all these fun activities while learning something new!
True ah! Scavenger hunts can be tailored to different themes and keep the excitement going. Weekly hunts sound like a fun tradition in the making! 😀 It's amazing how something simple yet interactive can keep the little ones engaged for hours.

And yeah, sensory play never gets old; there're so many ways to explore this method of learning! Can throw in some jelly or gooey textures once in a while too for an extra tactile experience - who doesn't love some good ol' messy fun?!? Toddlers will surely enjoy the squishy feels and sensations. 😁

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu