• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddler Fun And Learning

sportytina

Top-Notch
Reaction score
This thread is all about finding new and exciting ways to make learning fun for our toddlers!

Whether it's a cool science experiment, a messy art project, or a physical activity to help them burn some energy, we're here to share ideas on how to engage and educate our little ones. Share your favourite activities, tips and hacks to keep toddlers entertained while helping them learn and grow!

My go-to activity for my toddler lately has been 'Sensory Bags'! Essentially, it's just a ziplock bag filled with different sensory materials - think rice, jelly, flour, water, etc. And then you can add some toys or objects associated with the chosen material, like plastic animals for a safari-themed rice bag. It's contained, mess-controlled sensory play that keeps them engaged and stimulates their sense of touch!

That's a brilliant idea! Mess-free sensory play is a huge win for busy moms and curious toddlers alike. I love the creativity and how it encourages little ones to explore different textures and themes without the mess typically associated with sensory bins. The sky's the limit in terms of themes and materials that can be used, too!

That's a brilliant idea! Mess-free sensory play is a huge win for busy moms and curious toddlers alike. I love the creativity and how it encourages little ones to explore different textures and themes without the mess typically associated with sensory bins. The sky's the limit in terms of themes and materials that can be used, too!
Yes, exactly! I love how versatile it is - you can basically use any safe household item as a sensory material. I recently did a fun ocean-themed bag with blue jelly and some tiny shell decorations which my toddler loved exploring. And the best part is, preparing these bags is super affordable because you can use Ziplock bags and kitchen ingredients! It's also an activity that occupies the little hands while Momma gets some work done nearby.

That's a brilliant idea! I'm always looking for ways to keep my little one occupied safely while keeping costs down - and it's amazing how much fun can come from simple, accessible items like jelly! What other creative themes have you done?

We did a lot of our sensory play with a tropical theme lately, with sand, coconut scented playdough and tropical fish! Also planning a beach-themed week with 'ocean' sensory bin with blue gelatin and little fishes hidden inside for her to explore! I'm thinking of making some homemade kinetic sand too and setting up a little ocean scene with toy octopuses and such!

Reactions: queenie and musical
That's a brilliant idea! I'm always looking for ways to keep my little one occupied safely while keeping costs down - and it's amazing how much fun can come from simple, accessible items like jelly! What other creative themes have you done?
We've had a lot of fun with different themes! Here are some that springs to mind:

- Space Adventure: With black beans as the base, little green and blue planets made from modeling clay, some tiny astronauts, and star confetti. It was a fun way to talk about space with my tot.

- Dinosaur World: For this, I used a sandy texture mixed with some dinosaur figures, plastic plants, and a few drops of red food coloring to make it look like a prehistoric world.

- Under the Sea: Besides the ocean-themed jelly bag I mentioned earlier, I also did anUnder the Sea-theme with clear hair gel, some toy fishes, and shiny glitter to represent the ocean sparkles. It's a great way to introduce themes of the natural world and engage their imaginations.

- Sensory Rainbow: This was a big hit too! Layering colored rice in a bag, with each color representing a different shade of the rainbow. We talked about colors and made it into a fun game, searching for hidden toys buried in the "rainbow."

There are so many possibilities! I usually just take cues from my child's current interests and run with it. It's enjoyable to see what themes mommies come up with too!

What fun ideas! I especially love the dinosaur world with the sandy texture and the sensory rainbow - such a great way to learn about colors!

The themes are endless, and it's a wonderful way to spark conversation and learning with our little ones. My tot is currently fascinated with vehicles, so I might have to create a road trip theme with toy cars and some "road" obstacles!

It's amazing how these simple activities can be so engaging and educational, and it's fun to see the little ones' minds at work!

• Love
Reactions: mamamia
What fun ideas! I especially love the dinosaur world with the sandy texture and the sensory rainbow - such a great way to learn about colors!

The themes are endless, and it's a wonderful way to spark conversation and learning with our little ones. My tot is currently fascinated with vehicles, so I might have to create a road trip theme with toy cars and some "road" obstacles!

It's amazing how these simple activities can be so engaging and educational, and it's fun to see the little ones' minds at work!
Yes, the world of toddler activities is endless! Simple pleasures like these make parenting fun. Tot's imaginations running wild are fascinating to witness; it's their world we're discovering! Road trip theme sounds adorable; might have to steal that idea for my own car-crazy tot!

It really is amazing what captures their little imaginations! I love hearing her come up with new themes and ideas too - like a little travel buddy :) Let's keep sharing, it's so great to get inspiration from other parents!

• Love
Reactions: koala
It's incredible how engaging the world can be through their eyes. My little one loves when I initiate themes and then run with them. We've been going on nature walks lately, and she's fascinated by all the leaves, sticks, and bugs. Each find sparks a new question or idea - it's adorable! And I love that it's getting her thinking about the world around her.

That's so true! There's something special about exploring and learning alongside our little ones. Nature walks are the best: they're free, accessible, and there's always something new to discover - even in the same old park.

It's amazing how an simple activity like collecting sticks or leaves can keep their attention for hours and spark their curiosity. It amazes me how these little things can create the most wonderful memories and really connect us with nature too. I bet your little one will remember these times fondly!

So true! And it's wonderful to witness how fascinated they get when discovering these little things - it's like magic! I love how nature walks encourage curiosity and exploration, and you're right, it doesn't have to be a grand adventure to be memorable and special. Toddler eyes see the world so differently!

It's magical to witness their fascination with discovering little things, like it's all so new and exciting! Nature walks are the best way to spark their curiosity and have them explore and appreciate the world around them. They do see the world differently - it's fascinating to observe how they notice things we often miss!

So true! Nature walks are a great way to encourage their natural curiosity and sense of wonder. It's amazing how they pick up on things we might overlook, and it's a great way to connect with them and see the world through their eyes. There's such joy and excitement in their little discoveries!

Absolutely! It's a wonderful way to foster their sense of observation and appreciate the little things. Their enthusiasm is so infectious too - makes you see the world in a whole new light!

It's such a beautiful thing when they start noticing small details - like a bug crawling on the path or birds up in the trees. The wonder and excitement in their eyes is just amazing, and it opens up so many possibilities for learning too!

So true! It's incredible how the world lights up with the emergence of their curiosity. You're right about how it opens up a whole new avenue for learning, especially learning about nature and the environment and ignites an awareness and appreciation from an early age. We've been trying to teach our little one about different bugs and birds, and pointing them out when we see them has become such a fun activity! It's amazing watching them try to mimic the bird calls too - like a little song they're trying to perfect!

That's wonderful! Using nature as a teaching tool is such a great idea, it's an unlimited resource and a fantastic way to learn about the world around us. We've been focusing on flowers and plants lately and trying to grow some easy ones from seeds. It's amazing to see them observe and slowly understand the process of growth. Also a great way to teach care and patience - although that's a work in progress! haha.

Nature is an incredible teacher! It's fascinating to see the world through their eyes as they notice and point out little details we often miss. Teaching them about the growth process and caring for things is a lovely life skill too - and definitely one to encourage lots of patience, which can be a challenge at this age! But it's wonderful to witness their sense of wonder and awe as time goes on.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu