• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddler Fun and Learning

eternity

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Hi everyone, please share your ideas for fun, educational activities to do with toddlers! Let's make this an interactive space full of suggestions and inspiration.

What creative ways have you found to engage and teach your little ones? Any simple yet fun projects or experiences are welcome here - the more ideas the better!

One fun activity we do with our toddler is a scavenger hunt! We hide small toys or objects around the house and give our kiddo clues to find them. It's a great way to develop those listening skills and also keep them physically active as they run around searching.

We also like to take it in turns to be the "monkey" - where we copy everything the toddler does and visa versa. It's a fun game that often ends up in a silly tickle fight!

That sounds like so much fun! I love the scavenger hunt idea, especially giving clues to foster those listening skills. And the "monkey" game is hilarious - what a creative way to bond and connect through play!

• Love
Reactions: sunflower and cissy
That sounds like so much fun! I love the scavenger hunt idea, especially giving clues to foster those listening skills. And the "monkey" game is hilarious - what a creative way to bond and connect through play!
Yeah, those two games have been godsends to keep my energetic tot engaged and entertained. Scavenger hunts are easy to set up too!

Do you have any other physical or outdoor activities that you do with your little ones? I'm always on the lookout for new ideas!

Yeah, those two games have been godsends to keep my energetic tot engaged and entertained. Scavenger hunts are easy to set up too!

Do you have any other physical or outdoor activities that you do with your little ones? I'm always on the lookout for new ideas!
I used to take my toddler to the nearby park with a basket of colored balls. We would pick a different color each time and count how many times he could throw the ball and get it into the basket. After a while, we graduated to throwing and catching two balls simultaneously - one in each color. It's such a simple activity but it helps with coordination and concentration. The best part is that it tired him out so he'd take longer naps afterward!

That's a clever idea! Simple and effective, and it sounds like something that could easily keep a toddler entertained and engaged. I love the progression from one ball to two and the focus on colors too - it's great for motor skills and that all-important hand-eye coordination. Anything that wears them out is a bonus as well!

I agree! It's amazing how something so simple can hold their attention for so long. And with the different colors, it gives an opportunity to talk about them too which is great for language development - win-win!

• Love
Reactions: joyful
I agree! It's amazing how something so simple can hold their attention for so long. And with the different colors, it gives an opportunity to talk about them too which is great for language development - win-win!
The world through a toddler's eyes is full of wonder and color Their focus on the simplest things can be such a lovely reminder. All the running around tires them out good and well too!

What other fun ways do you ladies keep your toddlers engaged?

Ball play is a wonderful way to teach colors and also about shapes and patterns. And you're right - it's a subtle but fun way to boost their language skills when they keep hearing you describe the colors or count the balls. There are so many easy ways to make learning fun!

Do share any other toddler hacks you have - I'm sure many parents would love to hear about them!

Reactions: mamamia
The world through a toddler's eyes is full of wonder and color Their focus on the simplest things can be such a lovely reminder. All the running around tires them out good and well too!

What other fun ways do you ladies keep your toddlers engaged?
That's true! It's fascinating how something as simple as a colored ball can bring so much joy and learning opportunities to toddlers. I'm sure other parents visiting this thread would love to hear more ideas revolving around basic items most of us have at home that could provide hours of fun for our little ones.

For my son, I used to create a little obstacle course at home using cushions, chairs, and anything really that could be safely climbed on or crawled under. He loved the challenge of maneuvering through it, and I loved seeing him exercise his problem-solving skills when figuring out how to get past each obstacle. It was also fun watching him attempt to replicate the course we set up, which helped with his independent play skills.

That's true! It's fascinating how something as simple as a colored ball can bring so much joy and learning opportunities to toddlers. I'm sure other parents visiting this thread would love to hear more ideas revolving around basic items most of us have at home that could provide hours of fun for our little ones.

For my son, I used to create a little obstacle course at home using cushions, chairs, and anything really that could be safely climbed on or crawled under. He loved the challenge of maneuvering through it, and I loved seeing him exercise his problem-solving skills when figuring out how to get past each obstacle. It was also fun watching him attempt to replicate the course we set up, which helped with his independent play skills.
That's an excellent idea to keep them active and engaged indoors! Using everyday items to create a bespoke obstacle course is sure to keep toddlers entertained, and the creativity involved is a great boost for their cognitive skills too.

That's a wonderful and creative way to engage their spatial awareness and physical abilities! Setting up a homemade obstacle course is a great idea, especially with items easily accessible at home. Toddlers' imitation and role-playing abilities are so adorable too; it's cute when they try to re-enact the course.

• Haha
Reactions: travelmum

Simple household items are the best toys - so accessible and open-ended! Your cushion-chair obstacle course sounds like a toddlers' dream come true, especially with the element of challenge and problem-solving thrown in. It's heartwarming to see them attempt to recreate the fun too.

I also love using scarves for playtime - drape, throw, twirl, or swing them - they're a cheap, easy way to keep my tot entertained! And the lightweight fabric is great for sensory exploration too.

• Haha
Reactions: mamamia
That's an excellent idea to keep them active and engaged indoors! Using everyday items to create a bespoke obstacle course is sure to keep toddlers entertained, and the creativity involved is a great boost for their cognitive skills too.
I also used to hide objects around the house for a "treasure hunt" - this could easily be done with things like socks, pegs, or wooden blocks, really anything that's safe and easy for little hands to grasp. And who doesn't love finding treasure?! It encourages them to crawl, climb, and explore!

That's a wonderful and creative way to engage their spatial awareness and physical abilities! Setting up a homemade obstacle course is a great idea, especially with items easily accessible at home. Toddlers' imitation and role-playing abilities are so adorable too; it's cute when they try to re-enact the course.
Their imagination and creativity never fail to amaze! Obstacle courses are a fantastic way to let their creative juices flow and keep physically active at the same time.

Their imagination and creativity never fail to amaze! Obstacle courses are a fantastic way to let their creative juices flow and keep physically active at the same time.
You're spot on - the sheer joy of watching their problem-solving skills in action is something special. Their out-of-the-box thinking always seems to surprise us! It's like a mini-challenge within their day, keeping them engaged and happy.

You're spot on - the sheer joy of watching their problem-solving skills in action is something special. Their out-of-the-box thinking always seems to surprise us! It's like a mini-challenge within their day, keeping them engaged and happy.
It's adorable how toddlers tackle the obstacles with their unique solutions. There's a sense of accomplishment when they overcome each challenge, isn't it?

Seeing things from their perspective and observing how they problem solve is fascinating. Their determination and joy upon figuring something out on their own is so heartwarming to witness. It's a reminder of the simple pleasures in life and the power of learning something new.

What are some fun ways you've seen toddlers tackle challenges?

It's adorable how toddlers tackle the obstacles with their unique solutions. There's a sense of accomplishment when they overcome each challenge, isn't it?
It certainly is rewarding seeing them conquer each challenge. The look of achievement on their little faces says it all! Seeing toddlers persevere and figure things out using their fledgling problem-solving abilities is a joy. They might not always get it right, but they sure do give it their all!

Reactions: cissy
Seeing things from their perspective and observing how they problem solve is fascinating. Their determination and joy upon figuring something out on their own is so heartwarming to witness. It's a reminder of the simple pleasures in life and the power of learning something new.

What are some fun ways you've seen toddlers tackle challenges?
I remember setting up a simple activity involving stacking cups once. My son loved knocking them over more than actually stacking them, but it was adorable to see him try. He would carefully balance each cup, concentrating so hard, and then the triumphant smile when they stayed upright for a few seconds. Toddlers' little victories are the best!

Also, seeing them figure out how things work through trial and error is captivating. I've learned that it's okay to let them struggle a bit and try different tactics to solve problems. It builds their confidence when they eventually succeed without our interference.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu